Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: New receiver, should lack of support for DVB-S2X worry me?

Title
    Thanks

New receiver, should lack of support for DVB-S2X worry me?

I am planning on buying a new receiver and I wanted to get a good one, but I have now heard about DVB-S2X and I am worried that I will be wasting money since my receiver will likely be unusable when DVB-S2X comes (there's a small chance it will work as it has interchangeable tuners, but I can't count on that).

Is me worrying justified? Any indications or thoughts how long away we are before DVB-S2X gains track?

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    do u only watch 28.2e?
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    Thanks
    What is DVB-S2X, I have a solo 2 with motorised setup is this going to affect me?

Title
    Thanks
    I watch a lot more than that. I'm basically wondering whether this is a smart time to plunge 400+ euros for a receiver or maybe I should buy a cheaper one and wait to see what comes out of the DVB-S2X standard.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    DVB-S2X is only for some multistream services on 5deg west. Most peeps will never need it.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (07-02-17),dlmlus (07-02-17),mrxbox360 (10-02-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I thought DVB-S2X was needed for HLG?
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    One, transponder on 19.2E and one on 33.0E. That is it at the moment according to king-of-sat.

UNTITLED.jpg
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    My question wasn't about today but about the future. How long until current receivers become unusable? I know we can't know for sure, but it may be possible to make educated guesses.
    Last edited by JasonM8; 09-02-17 at 13:21.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    DVB-S2X is only for some multistream services on 5deg west. Most peeps will never need it.
    Are you saying that DVB-S2X is not meant for end users? That is not the impression I got from what I've read so far.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM8 View Post
    Are you saying that DVB-S2X is not meant for end users? That is not the impression I got from what I've read so far.
    Where did I say that? At the time I posted I only knew of a handful of channels on 5 west, RAI channels in Italian.

Heuvos post two more transponders.

Current receivers unusable? Never imo. S2X isn't about to take over every satellite transponder! lol
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    I really cant see it taking over at all any time soon.. HD - DVBS2 format has been around for yonks, yet we still have DVBS - SD transmisstion...

Imagine the cost to the providers... Wow... maybed phased in over another 10 / 15 years..... That is my totally un-knowledgeable, un-supported, crappy opinion.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM8 View Post
    Are you saying that DVB-S2X is not meant for end users?
    Of course it is for end users. But right now it is just used by a handful of free to air public service channels.

To put this in context the DVB-S2 standard was introduced in 2005. Lyngsat lists over 7000 DTH transponders, only 3100 of which are DVB-S2. That means today, 12 years after the DVB-S2 standard was introduced, anyone who still owns a 20-year-old DVB-S receiver can still use it to receive any of the 4000 remaining DVB-S transponders.

Or in other words, any new cutting edge receiver you buy today is going to be in a landfill site long before there is any major take up of this format if at all.
    Last edited by Huevos; 10-02-17 at 09:17.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (10-02-17)

Title
    Thanks
    DVB-S2x doesn't have many benefits over DVB-S2 certainly not enough for broadcasters to switch en-mass. Novelsats NS3 and NS4 are much better, but unoffical and propitiatory .

Title
    Thanks
    I can only give my own view. But price has little to do with it really, for me I wanted a receiver that I would find useful today. I would have probably found some use for S2X, I study french, however I could not find a receiver that could do everything that I wanted it to do due to the drivers not being quite ready for what I wanted to do with it, yet.

I can not forecast how fast, if ever, S2X will take over. It is a lot different to when we moved from analogue to digital in the UK. That switch happened a lot faster than anyone would have thought, but that was because such a huge percentage had moved to digital to get the extras it offered, from a dozen or so channels to hundreds, and also a lack of compatibility between the two formats forced people to choose. What extras will S2X really bring to us that will make us want to switch? As far as the switch to DVB-S2 is concerned, the UK Freesat service currently boasts "With over 200 channels - and 13 in high definition", and that is after the Sky+HD service is already more than 12 years old. The reason is simple, if a new channel starts as only HD then it can not be seen by SD receivers. Yet if it starts as only SD, everyone can see it. The same is obviously true with S2X receivers being able to receive both S and S2. So my best guess is your DVB-S2 (and probably DVB-S) will be of use for a while yet.