Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Every day the box locks up...

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Attachments
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Every day the box locks up...

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Instability is most of the time due to plugins. Best is not to install any in this case (apart from settings & softcam).

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Instability is most of the time due to plugins. Best is not to install any in this case (apart from settings & softcam).
    As far as I recall, I haven't installed any Plugins - not even a skin.

The only thing I seemed to struggle with was the interrelationship between EPG and CrossEPG. As in is it necessary to configure/use both or are they mutually exclusive... I used the guide but I think it's a little outdated.

Softcam is not on my radar at all. I have no idea what benefit that would provide to us.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Cross-EPG reads the data from the providers transponder. Configure it once and forget about it. Also set EPG-location to HDD.
    Other EPG only reflect the way the obtained EPG data will show on your TV.

If no other plugins are installed, it will be difficult to find the cause of your issue. In that case I would suggest you to flash without restoring the settings (so a brand new box will be the result).

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    You've mentioned doing a telnet reboot rather than a mains switch off when the box locks up, which is clearly a much better option.
    Would this also ensure that the last block of the debug log is written to the hd, or is there another command to do a force write??
    "sync" maybe, or is it part of the reboot process?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You've mentioned doing a telnet reboot rather than a mains switch off when the box locks up, which is clearly a much better option.
    Would this also ensure that the last block of the debug log is written to the hd, or is there another command to do a force write??
    "sync" maybe, or is it part of the reboot process?
    Yes, an 'init 4' should bring down E2 in a controlled way, meaning all files will be properly closed and saved.
    BUT: as E2 is quite busy (after ll there is a 'lock up'). this may take some time. Allow this to finish and all should be fine.
    Doing a power-cycle (On/Off-switch) is the worst possible way, and can even damage an HDD.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

ccs (17-01-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Cross-EPG reads the data from the providers transponder. Configure it once and forget about it. Also set EPG-location to HDD.
    Other EPG only reflect the way the obtained EPG data will show on your TV.

If no other plugins are installed, it will be difficult to find the cause of your issue. In that case I would suggest you to flash without restoring the settings (so a brand new box will be the result).
    OK - the only other thing I can think of that I do is to use Dreamboxedit to remove the dross we would never wish to watch. I know this can be done using ABM...

I'll try the clean flash - I never restore settings anyway, so it should be a clean slate.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    It would. The shutdown process syncs all filesystems.

(And enigma2 logs are written via stderr, so the process shouldn't be buffering them).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceH View Post
    As per the OP, without any warning the box stops responding to the Remote, and the VIX spinner appears in the top left corner of the screen for eternity. Whatever you're watching at the time continues to display correctly
    The channel viewing is done in hardware, which is why it continues.

It's the Vix spinner that is odd. This gets reported to the logs when it happens, but there is no such report.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Hello gents,

I was on 4.1016 which was working a treat, Ive just installed latest version (.26) i'm having issue's with Kodi/Sportsmania plugin, is the short answer put up with it until it works or roll back to older version?

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    OK - Flashed .026 via USB and set the box up (not many changes to settings). Not done the DreamboxEdit stuff yet. The ONLY plugin I've used is the first Picon one in the downloadables. Seems to work, who knows where that comes from...

I've enabled logging.

Set up the autotimers again and that's it. Let's see.
    Last edited by LanceH; 17-01-17 at 19:38.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis76 View Post
    Hello gents,

I was on 4.1016 which was working a treat, Ive just installed latest version (.26) i'm having issue's with Kodi/Sportsmania plugin, is the short answer put up with it until it works or roll back to older version?

Thanks
    start your own thread

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Well - 2 full days and no lock-ups. I know this is dicing with fate...

I can only assume that something during the update from .023 to .025 to .026 (not USB flashes) or the Picon ipk I used or the Dreamboxedit edits caused the issue. Everything else is the same. I think.

One quick question - where does the downloadable picon extension store the picons? The previous ipk (enigma2-plugin-picons-snp-full.100x60-86x46.dark.on.transparent_2016-12-31--14-46-20_all.ipk?) stored them on the HDD in a folder called "picon", which is still present as I didn't re-initialise the HDD - as per your recommendations. Not sure where this downloadable extension method stores them, or am I still using the HDD ones unwittingly?
    Last edited by LanceH; 19-01-17 at 20:00.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    When you install picons from the feeds, using the webbrowser, you are being asked where you want to store them (flash/HDD/USB) if multiple compatible devices are available. If you install them via telnet this question will be omitted, and the location will be /picon (i.e. in flash).
    If you had them previously installed on the HDD this folder will still be present. The new install may be in flash, but also in the same folder on the HDD. Multiple picon folders on multiple devices may exist and work.

Having said that: having picons on the HDD is a bad idea, as that can seriously slow down the box. You'd best de-install all picons, (manually) delete the picon folders on HDD & USB, and re-install them, preferably to flash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123