Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: OpenVIX 4.2.20 won't update or restore backup?

Title
    Thanks

OpenVIX 4.2.20 won't update or restore backup?

Hi - I have had the ET8500 for a few months now - my first "proper" box, having had Humax Freeview/Freesat offerings for years. It's been an extremely steep learning curve and I think I am slowly getting there but I now have a problem that I can't seem to get around so any thoughts would be welcome.

Just before xmas, whilst IPTV player was doing one of the updates it seems to want everytime I caught sight of an "error" message on screen - not sure what it said as it disappeared to quick. After a restart everytime I accessed plugins it said IPTV player was not found. I actually removed IPTV from the plugins, apparently successfully, but the error when accessing the reamining plugins still persisted?

The rest of the box seemed to be working as normal and as I had a lot of scheduled recordings set over the xmas period I decided to leave well alone and not try any further updates, to anything for the moment.

A week ago I decided I would try to update and get rid of the plugin error etc - I did a restore of my settings from my previous, all working, backups. This seemed to succeed, except when I later restarted the box it just stalled on the Xtrend logo and sat there for ages?

After a few expletives - I extracted the 4.2.20 image I had backed up onto an external USB HDD, installed this to a USB stick and reflashed the box with this. This also seemed to work - I then did a restore of my system using the settings made at the same time as the image. This got part way through then produced an error saying the feeds were down for maintenance please try later - although I notice my timers (now out of date) and plugins had actually been restored? I have tried this restore several times now and I always get the same result although I note IPTV player now works, does not produce an error and updates correctly?

However Openvix now obviously keeps showing there is an update to the system and everytime I select this I get the progress bar in the update screen which then fails about halfway and produces an error about a background check is being performed, try again in afew minutes? I have now turned off the background check in the settings but I still get this error!

I have downloaded V4.2.26 and was about to flash that BUT I don't want to make things worse so I thought it was about time I posted here (first one) and asked for HELP?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbar View Post
    Hi - I have had the ET8500 for a few months now - my first "proper" box, having had Humax Freeview/Freesat offerings for years. It's been an extremely steep learning curve and I think I am slowly getting there but I now have a problem that I can't seem to get around so any thoughts would be welcome.

Just before xmas, whilst IPTV player was doing one of the updates it seems to want everytime I caught sight of an "error" message on screen - not sure what it said as it disappeared to quick. After a restart everytime I accessed plugins it said IPTV player was not found. I actually removed IPTV from the plugins, apparently successfully, but the error when accessing the reamining plugins still persisted?

The rest of the box seemed to be working as normal and as I had a lot of scheduled recordings set over the xmas period I decided to leave well alone and not try any further updates, to anything for the moment.

A week ago I decided I would try to update and get rid of the plugin error etc - I did a restore of my settings from my previous, all working, backups. This seemed to succeed, except when I later restarted the box it just stalled on the Xtrend logo and sat there for ages?

After a few expletives - I extracted the 4.2.20 image I had backed up onto an external USB HDD, installed this to a USB stick and reflashed the box with this. This also seemed to work - I then did a restore of my system using the settings made at the same time as the image. This got part way through then produced an error saying the feeds were down for maintenance please try later - although I notice my timers (now out of date) and plugins had actually been restored? I have tried this restore several times now and I always get the same result although I note IPTV player now works, does not produce an error and updates correctly?

However Openvix now obviously keeps showing there is an update to the system and everytime I select this I get the progress bar in the update screen which then fails about halfway and produces an error about a background check is being performed, try again in afew minutes? I have now turned off the background check in the settings but I still get this error!

I have downloaded V4.2.26 and was about to flash that BUT I don't want to make things worse so I thought it was about time I posted here (first one) and asked for HELP?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Firstly what an Essay :

4.2.026 looks like it has fixed a few issues.

As long as you have a backup of 4.2.020 then the box should update successfully.

Title
    Thanks
    There was a few issues around the .20 to .23 release period so I suggest a fresh install (make a backup or note of your settings).
    The latest release also fixes the LCD screen issue on the 8500.

I think IPTV player may now also be on the plugin menu but if not reinstall.

Good luck.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the replies.

I know it was a long "essay" but having been a regular reader of the forums up till now I notice one of the most frequent replies to a call for help is "you have not given enough details"!

Yes I have backups/images of every update so far (must delete some of the older ones) so that's not a problem. Especially glad I found the quick way of restoring my current timer.xml etc. after a restore - overwrite then turn the main switch off so my over-write can't be over-written by the one in flash on power down.

I assume if I start over totally - initialise the HD and flash with 4.2.26 I can copy recorded programs back into "movie" and restore the timers as above and the do all the other set ups manually and that would give me a totally new install, retaining my existing programs and timers?

Thanks again

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbar View Post
    Especially glad I found the quick way of restoring my current timer.xml etc. after a restore - overwrite then turn the main switch off so my over-write can't be over-written by the one in flash on power down.
    That's a new one !
    Don't do it, you're asking for problems.

Stop enigma first ("init 4" telnet command), then overwrite the file, and then restart enigma with "init 3".

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (13-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Well I found it somewhere on this forum but I agree it is not a nice way to accomplish the task although we do get quite a few outages here so the box has to cope with it quite often in any case.

Thank you for the init 4/3 advice - I just tried that, on a test run, and the response is asking for a password - I don't remember setting one on the box? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    On mine, a telnet username of root doesn't even ask for a password. Try a blank.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, that did it. Have not used telnet for ages - I was forgetting the login as root!

Had me panicking for a bit as it takes quite a while to "come back" after the init 3 - well it seems a long time whilst refreshing the open webif page on my PC upstairs!

Oh well, that's a bit more knowledge I have picked up today - trouble is the old grey cells are definitely getting a bit old these days!

Thanks again

Title
    Thanks
    Just to conclude this thread - my ET8500 had gone very "wobbly" the last couple of days so I have had the time today to USB flash it with 4.2.26, restore my 4.2.20 settings, restore the timers etc. as discussed above and, at the moment, it seems to be working 100%. It has just updated my Picons and will download and install add-ons so looking good. Seem to have lost the "weather" on the LCD at the moment but not really worried by that!

The moral of this is I have just set up a weekly schedule for image and settings backups to my USB HDD - so the next time it throws a fit I should only be a maximum of 6 days away from a working backup?

Thanks again for the help.