Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xtrend ET9000 upgrade or not?

Title
    Thanks

xtrend ET9000 upgrade or not?

I'm currently running two motorized dishes using a XTrend ET9000 using the latest OpenVix 4.2 image, which works well. On top I'm having a separate computer that runs Kodi to watch movies/dvds. This PC acts as the filestore for the house at the same time.

To make things easier to use I was trying to access the XTrend box through a Kodi PVR plugin on that computer, which does works but is slow and crashes a lot and I'm at a loss why that is the case (still using Kodi Jarvis). I'm trying to do this mainly because the webinterface of openVix itself is extremely counter-intuitive compared to kodi and anyway also has issues with streams crashing. The alternative of running Kodi directly on the satellite receiver doesn't seem possible on this receiver.

Would it be worth upgrading to a more recent receiver that could run Kodi itself or is faster at serving content to kodi? If yes: what are the current thoughts on the best way to set this up and with what receiver*?

*) I would use:
    - two motorized dishes
    - ideally able to watch on the TV connected to the receiver and two PCs; (currently I can only do one); so likely >2 tuners I guess.
    - I currently use cccam for two local cards as I never had luck with getting OSCam to work with the cards.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    Just get a android box to run Kodi its the best way of running kodi get at least a 2gb-16gb model running Android 6 it will run miles better than any sat box with kodi
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassethound View Post
    Just get a android box to run Kodi its the best way of running kodi get at least a 2gb-16gb model running Android 6 it will run miles better than any sat box with kodi
    The Linux computer that I use runs Kodi fine; however interfacing it with the ET9000 doesn't work well. My assumption is that this might be because the satellite receiver is too slow to respond? I would assume that an android box would have exactly the same issues.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    I would never ever buy any STB for being able to run Kodi. It's just a plugin, and no STB has ever been designed to be a media server.

What exactly do you want to achieve? Watching telly or watching recordings?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    What exactly do you want to achieve? Watching telly or watching recordings?
    What I am trying to achieve is two-fold.

1) make switching between watching telly on the STB and watching recordings using Kodi less confusing. The family finds the switch between different boxes confusing although it works well enough for the main television hooked up to both the kodi-machine and the STB.

2) The second more important element as that doesn't work well at the moment is to watch telly from the STB on computers or other screens in the house. This can be done using the web-interface in Openvix, but I find it far to difficult to explain children how to use that interface. That is why I tried to use kodi to access the STB through a PVR-plugin, which makes it easier to use but it doesn't work that well.

The motivation here is that children want to watch football on the telly, which really only works well on the main TV while we want to watch something else. That age-old problem.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    ad 1): The box can make recording to a PC/NAS/whatever-suits-you. That would allow you any interface to watch them.

ad 2):
    a- Watching telly on a telly works only flawless if you use a secondary E2-box (doesn't need to have a tuner) with a LAN-connection to the box. Also watching recordings can be done this way. Tha huge advantage of this method is that the UI is the same in every room you have such a setup
    b- On Android devices the app DreamDroid (with the BSPlayer Free) works very good. Also for telly & recordings.

Title
    Thanks
    a- Watching telly on a telly works only flawless if you use a secondary E2-box (doesn't need to have a tuner) with a LAN-connection to the box. Also watching recordings can be done this way. Tha huge advantage of this method is that the UI is the same in every room you have such a setup
    That sounds rather disappointing and I'm not sure that would want to go there as ultimately the primary STB must be the one that controls the motorized dishes. so I would still be a bit at a loss how it would even work in setting up a second box that connects to the first STB-box through LAN.

What I don't understand is that the functionality must be almost there as with Openwebif one can stream to computers. I just find the interface not that child proof. Which is why I was trying to use kodi to control that streaming and make it easy to switch between life channels. This did work in that I can watch and switch, but not that great as it is slow and crashing. My thinking was that the STB box I'm using might not be capable enough in terms of CPU to do this?

Anyway I might just be missing the right applications to use as searching for these things is hard without knowing what to look for.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moesasji1975 View Post
    That sounds rather disappointing and I'm not sure that would want to go there as ultimately the primary STB must be the one that controls the motorized dishes. so I would still be a bit at a loss how it would even work in setting up a second box that connects to the first STB-box through LAN.
    Oh, but that is the case indeed. The mainbox does what it has to do, and secondary boxes are 'lending' tuners from the main box (just as is the case when using any other device for remote watching telly, but of course only as long as tuners are actually free.

The setting on the remote box is called 'fallback tuner'. Just type in the address of the mainbox, and don't configure the local tuners and you'll be fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

moesasji1975 (09-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    The setting on the remote box is called 'fallback tuner'. Just type in the address of the mainbox, and don't configure the local tuners and you'll be fine.
    Many thanks indeed as that sounds relatively easy to do and I had until today never heard of that option. However I've never seen that option in the Vix settings menu....any hint where it is in the OpenVix settings as it doesn't seem to be in the tuner-selection menu.

Does this still use the cards in the original box as well for the decoding?

btw) any suggestions for a cheap and good E-2 box with the sole purpose of hooking it to a TV and use the primary STB? Although this obviously also gives me a good excuse to replace the XTrend ET-9000 with something better as well.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Try using the tuner server plugin & copy the generated m3u files to any device on the network.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

moesasji1975 (09-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Many thanks indeed as that sounds relatively easy to do and I had until today never heard of that option. However I've never seen that option in the Vix settings menu....any hint where it is in the OpenVix settings as it doesn't seem to be in the tuner-selection menu.

Does this still use the cards in the original box as well for the decoding?

btw) any suggestions for a cheap and good E-2 box with the sole purpose of hooking it to a TV and use the primary STB? Although this obviously also gives me a good excuse to replace the XTrend ET-9000 with something better as well.
    Menu/setup/system/customise settings ... enable fallback tuner and type in IP address.
    Yes, it uses whatever the server receiver uses to decode etc
    SO buy a new "server" receiver and use the ET9000 as the client ..... why waste it??
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Try using the tuner server plugin & copy the generated m3u files to any device on the network.
    That sounds like another good tip. I'll definitely give that a go once the plugin browser starts working again. That gives me "an error occurred" on the latest build for Openvix release (4.2.23).

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    SO buy a new "server" receiver and use the ET9000 as the client ..... why waste it??
    Any good suggestions what a suitable new "server" receiver would be, which would be a decent enough upgrade. I'm looking at two motorized dishes and would like at least a tuner spare to be able to do what judge suggests on my PC.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    There are people that use tvheadend server it might get you what you are looking for

https://tvheadend.org
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Any good suggestions what a suitable new "server" receiver would be, which would be a decent enough upgrade. I'm looking at two motorized dishes and would like at least a tuner spare to be able to do what judge suggests on my PC.
    If the arm boxes especially the Vu+ Ultimo were sorted and reliable would probably suggest that but otherwise ET8500 with 4 tuners would be excellent value for you if no 4K requirement.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast