Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Should I Buy another Xtrend?

Title
    Thanks

Should I Buy another Xtrend?

Now that I have got to grips with my current ET8500 box and have acquired a second box (Octagon SF128) I have made the brave decision to reconfigure the house

My setup is as follows:
    1 Large 3 LNB dish pointing to 19.2, 13.0, 28.2 with one cable coming into the house to living room.
    1 sly dish with 4 cables coming into the house (2 to living room & 2 to son's bedroom)
    1 aerial
    sly box in living room
    sly box in son's bedroom
    youview box in main bedroom
    cables running under the floor:
    living room to kitchen
    living room to main bedroom
    living room to son's bedroom
    ET8500 (1 x DVB tuner, 2 x sat tuners) in living room

And what I want is:
    Do away with sly boxes.

So what I thought was:
    Existing ET8500 moved to son's bedroom
    Buy a new ET8500 with 4 tuners (1 x DVB and 3 x sat tuners) for the living room.
    'Daisy chain' the Octagon from the living room box in the kitchen (as per twol's suggestion).

So I guess my options are many,
    do I buy another Xtrend (1 x DVB & 3 sat tuner) for the living room and move existing ET8500 to son's bedroom
    do I just buy another sat tuner for my existing ET8500 and buy a different box for son's room (1 x DVB and 2 x sat tuners)

Should I stay with Extrend or is there anything better (or is it all down to preference)
    Xtrend ET8500 x 3 tuners Openvix 1TB hard drive VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Another ET8500 x 4 tuners 1TB VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Octagon SF128 OpenATV now changed to a Formuler 1 running VIX (yet to customise)
    tele'mote app

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Brave decision ..... but fun
    I would spend a few months thinking it through ... looking at how you might benefit from fbc tuners, unicable either direct thru LNB,s or a multiswitch suppporting unicable outputs.
    Also it would pay to wait to see what is announced over the next 3 months in terms of new receivers and capabilities (Oregon with improved dvb-s2 tuners, mut@nt HD52 (Summer?) .. and perhaps Xtrend (under their new owners) ... and even the much rumoured Gigablue

At the moment there is only one player in town for fbc tuner receivers ... but over priced, still useless customer service/support and still fixing

Wish you a great experience
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by techygirl View Post
    Now that I have got to grips with my current ET8500 box and have acquired a second box (Octagon SF128) I have made the brave decision to reconfigure the house

My setup is as follows:
    1 Large 3 LNB dish pointing to 19.2, 13.0, 28.2 with one cable coming into the house to living room.
    1 sly dish with 4 cables coming into the house (2 to living room & 2 to son's bedroom)
    1 aerial
    sly box in living room
    sly box in son's bedroom
    youview box in main bedroom
    cables running under the floor:
    living room to kitchen
    living room to main bedroom
    living room to son's bedroom
    ET8500 (1 x DVB tuner, 2 x sat tuners) in living room

And what I want is:
    Do away with sly boxes.

So what I thought was:
    Existing ET8500 moved to son's bedroom
    Buy a new ET8500 with 4 tuners (1 x DVB and 3 x sat tuners) for the living room.
    'Daisy chain' the Octagon from the living room box in the kitchen (as per twol's suggestion).

So I guess my options are many,
    do I buy another Xtrend (1 x DVB & 3 sat tuner) for the living room and move existing ET8500 to son's bedroom
    do I just buy another sat tuner for my existing ET8500 and buy a different box for son's room (1 x DVB and 2 x sat tuners)

Should I stay with Extrend or is there anything better (or is it all down to preference)
    Nice little setup there techygirl,The xtrend are on offer at the moment and if your happy with your current box then why not get another one

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 1554leslie For This Useful Post:

techygirl (27-12-16)

Title
    Thanks
    @1554leslie & techiegirl
    I still love my ET8500,s. ... but the new arm chips make the receivers go that much faster although functionally offer similar capabilites apart from 2160 and other tuner capabilities
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

1554leslie (26-12-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Great prices at the moment for a lot of box for the ET 8500 which makes it attractive option twol

Title
    Thanks
    Currently my test ET8500 has 3 dvb-s2 tuners and does all the work... it has been rebooted, re-powered (not thaat kindly) and has withstood all so a really solid receiver .... and the new Xtrend owners have said they will continue to support .... so a good and now cheap (wish I had paid those prices!) option
    ..... and you don,t have to convert to oscam as per the arm receivers (although something that will have to be done by most eventually)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

techygirl (27-12-16)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    If you need the box now buy it as prices will go up due to weakening pound.

If you don't need it, wait for more release of 4K boxes and prices will drop, perhaps not to the levels of non arm boxes.

Not bought a 4K as no need, there is no content and when it does arrive unlikely due to encryption will play on non provider boxes at least in UK and Western Europe.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (27-12-16),techygirl (27-12-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1554leslie View Post
    Nice little setup there techygirl,The xtrend are on offer at the moment and if your happy with your current box then why not get another one
    Thanks 1554leslie I have finally got to grips with it all (and am understanding things better.) Everyone has been incredibly patient

Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    If you need the box now buy it as prices will go up due to weakening pound.

If you don't need it, wait for more release of 4K boxes and prices will drop, perhaps not to the levels of non arm boxes.

Not bought a 4K as no need, there is no content and when it does arrive unlikely due to encryption will play on non provider boxes at least in UK and Western Europe.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    On the one hand I want everything now but I do need to plan ahead - not least as there are a load of recordings on the sly boxes that need to be watched before switching. And when I have thought about it, it is all mainly the terrestrial channels so the money spent on a sub could more than cover a new box.

I guess the question I have to ask myself is do I wait for new technology but in this game there is always new around the corner.
    Xtrend ET8500 x 3 tuners Openvix 1TB hard drive VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Another ET8500 x 4 tuners 1TB VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Octagon SF128 OpenATV now changed to a Formuler 1 running VIX (yet to customise)
    tele'mote app

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by techygirl View Post
    I guess the question I have to ask myself is do I wait for new technology but in this game there is always new around the corner.
    Absolutely correct
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Can anyone tell me will the et8500 cable tuner record 1 cable channel while watching another cable channel at the same time? Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by radiomanok View Post
    Can anyone tell me will the et8500 cable tuner record 1 cable channel while watching another cable channel at the same time? Thanks
    Only if on the same frequency. You can comfortably record six channels with one tuner if they are on the same frequency.

If you want to watch/record from two different frequencies, you need two tuners with access to the signal.

Applies to all receivers.

If you are buying, there may be a receiver in the classifieds soon.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

radiomanok (26-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that answer clears up now how it works