Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: LG home theatre LHB725 HDMI ARC help

Title
    Thanks

LG home theatre LHB725 HDMI ARC help

Hi all

Have just bought the above it has 2 hdmi in ports and 1 HDMI ARC port and don't understand what it does?
    I have plugged the HDMI from my Duo2 into HDMI input 1 on the HTS is this the correct way or does it just need the ARC port connecting to the tv and the duo2 HDMI plugged into the TV?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What is HDMI ARC mean?
    In theory, ARC is supposed to let you have one connection between your TV and whatever you use to create sound: a receiver or a sound bar. You send video to the TV with an HDMI cable, and that same HDMI cable sends audio from the TV back down the same cable. dont think duo2 is compatible so dont use it.

just plug your hdmi cable from your duo2 into a hdmi 1 input on tv .
    do all connections while both units are powered off.

just reading specs on lg i would use second hdmi cable to second port hdmi on tv.

no mention of spdif/optical on the lg to run a cable between that and tv for surround sound?
    Last edited by cactikid; 25-12-16 at 00:51.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

daz450 (25-12-16)

Title
    Thanks
    OK thanks, will give it a go in morning

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    What is HDMI ARC mean?
    In theory, ARC is supposed to let you have one connection between your TV and whatever you use to create sound: a receiver or a sound bar.
    It stands for Audio Return Channel. This means that you can plug in a video source to the sound equipment and it will pass on the video to the TV, while playing the audio directly.
    But (and this is the ARC part) it will also play the audio from the TV (assuming the TV supports ARC) for any other source which goes directly to the TV. This should mean that you can use the TV remote to control the volume.

So it doesn't matter whether the duo2 is ARC compatible, as it's only the TV and the sound base/speakers that need to be. Assuming that the duo2 can send audio over HDMI - and I'd be very surprised if it couldn't. But it would need HDMI CEC support to send volume changes from the duo2 remote.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    So if the ARC on the sound system with built in blu ray is plugged into the ARC on the television does it need another HDMI lead for the picture or does the ARC do picture as well as sound?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    does the spec of hdmi cable need to be 1-4 from tv to lg?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Standard HDMI cable is fine for ARC. Typically it's used for smart TVs which have their own apps (eg Netflix), where they display the video stream directly on screen and pass the multichannel audio to an AV amp for playback on room speakers. Same cable is used for video and audio from AV amp from other sources and for sending audio back from TV to AV amp.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daz450 View Post
    So if the ARC on the sound system with built in blu ray is plugged into the ARC on the television does it need another HDMI lead for the picture or does the ARC do picture as well as sound?
    You need one HDMI cable between the speakers and the TV. The video goes to the TV and the sound comes from the TV over the same cable. So if the speakers also allow you to plug another HDMI source in (i.e.they have an HDMI-in socket) there will be some way on the speaker controls to say which video stream (Blu-ray or external HDMI-in) gets sent to the TV, as the TV can only have on incoming video stream on a connexion.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have My Ultimo4K Plugged into my TV via HDMI.
    My TV is connected to My AVR via Audio return channel (ARC).
    My TV will pass 5.1 Dolby Digital / 5.1 DTS audio from my Ultimo4k to the AVR, It will also pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from The Netflix, Amazon Prime, NowTV apps on my TV if 5.1 sound is present.
    What ARC can not do is pass HD audio such as PCM 5.1/7.1, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, this is a limitation of HDCP and bandwidth, in such a case you need to connect directly to an AVR via HDMI (or you can use multi channel analogue for PCM only).
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Thanks
    My box has Dolby Digital, Dolby TruHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pulse, DTS TruSurround so is it better not using ARC with mine?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You can't pass HD audio over ARC.
    ARC can only handle (in theory) the same Audio formats and bitrates as Optical.
    I say in Theory because there is a brand of TV in North America that reports it can send DD+ via ARC, although there seems to be some bit rate reduction so it is a grey area.
    Connect your TV's ARC connection to the HT ARC connection, If you then plug something into your TV it will pass 5.1 sound over ARC to the HT at up to Dolby Digital 640kbps / DTS 1500kbps.
    If you require HD audio from your box, you will need to connect any device capable of HD audio via HDMI directly to your HT.
    select the HDMI input on your HT, and on the TV select the HDMI input you used, in this scenario ARC will not be used even though it is still connected, Your HT box should extract the audio to it's speakers and pass the video to your TV.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Thanks
    Hi All,

It was suggested I take a look at this thread, hence I'm posting here in case this will address my sound problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    You can't pass HD audio over ARC.
    I have connected my TV over HDMI ARC to my HTS and it outputs 5.1 surround sound fine. The bitrate viewer plugin shows ~320bps which aligns with AAC 5.1/6ch rates.

The problem is that my Mut@nt HD51 STB although it records an AAC 5.1 track audio stream, it will only play it as stereo. I have also connected the Mut@ant with HDMI cable directly to the HTS and it still only plays stereo.

I am using the native OpenVIX player (whatever this is) and have not installed the gstreamer external player. Is there some setting I can change to make it play in 5.1 surround sound?
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickkie View Post
    Hi All,

It was suggested I take a look at this thread, hence I'm posting here in case this will address my sound problem. I have connected my TV over HDMI ARC to my HTS and it outputs 5.1 surround sound fine. The bitrate viewer plugin shows ~320bps which aligns with AAC 5.1/6ch rates.

The problem is that my Mut@nt HD51 STB although it records an AAC 5.1 track audio stream, it will only play it as stereo. I have also connected the Mut@ant with HDMI cable directly to the HTS and it still only plays stereo.

I am using the native OpenVIX player (whatever this is) and have not installed the gstreamer external player. Is there some setting I can change to make it play in 5.1 surround sound?
    See post #11 ... my HD51 plays 5,1 fine thru my Onkyo receivers
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    if soundbar has several HDMI in I would connect soundbar and TV with the ARC connection and connect STB and/or other devices directly to the soundbar. The reason for this is that not all TVs send surround (5.1) from external devices via ARC to an external AVR/soundbar.

As for HD sound and ARC watch for eARC which is/will be the next generation. My Denon will get a firmware update for this.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    @Mickkie - your other thread covers the issue. This is an AAC vs Dolby / DTS problem, not anything specific to ARC. It's that your Freeview-compatible TV will transcode 5.1 AAC audio to AC3 but your mutant HD51 box won't. It's outputting 2.0 PCM, probably.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers