Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Help for a Noob ...What's the best box for £170

Title
    Thanks

Help for a Noob ...What's the best box for £170

HI Guys,

This is my first post so I'll try to keep it short as possible, actually this is my first post in a forum in about 8 years.

I'm looking for an upgrade from my Openbox V8s,which I've had for a few months. I want to spend £100 - £170 and came across the VU+ Sole SE and VU+ Zero.

I guess my question is, which is the better box for the money or is there a better box that can be recommended. I don't really have any requirements, just something better than the Openbox that has good support and is easy to maintain etc. Oh it needs to be for satellite not cable.

Go to say I love this satellite stuff, can't believe it's escaped me all these years

Title
    Thanks
    the edison os mini with twin tuner is just over £100 and you will have more left in your pocket. It does more than the openbox. Have a read in the forums. The more expensive boxes may have better looks and faster boot-up but the receiver pretty much do the same thing.
    For £170 you will able to but a twin tuner rexceiver that support an internal hard drive and perhaps has expansion slots for further tuners (Xtrend 8500 range). The "in" receiver seems to be Mutant HD51 4k box which is £199 (SINGLE TUNER).
    go to the W.O.S shop in the link at top of the post and see what is out there

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrw1z View Post
    HI Guys,

This is my first post so I'll try to keep it short as possible, actually this is my first post in a forum in about 8 years.

I'm looking for an upgrade from my Openbox V8s,which I've had for a few months. I want to spend £100 - £170 and came across the VU+ Sole SE and VU+ Zero.

I guess my question is, which is the better box for the money or is there a better box that can be recommended. I don't really have any requirements, just something better than the Openbox that has good support and is easy to maintain etc. Oh it needs to be for satellite not cable.

Go to say I love this satellite stuff, can't believe it's escaped me all these years
    I would personally get one of these. Internal hdd better than an external hdd imo and a good price >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...twin-satellite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    The nano is brilliant box, great value for money.

Title
    Thanks
    My first post and learning about these boxes. Is the demand on storage as high on these boxes as a satellite company supplied box?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for you help guys, think I'm going to go for the TM-Nano-SE M2. Just got a couple of simple questions...

1. I'm going to order the Nano with Openvix, I notice the first thing everyone does is to flash the box , does flashing wipe Openvix?
    2. Is there beginners setup guide to setting up etc?
    3. My Openbox cant watch and record another program at the same time ...can the Nano?

Once again thank for the help.

Cheers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    1. Don't need to flash anything.
    2. http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?301
    3. Can record as long as you have twin Lnb to connect to box.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Thanks for you help guys, think I'm going to go for the TM-Nano-SE M2. Just got a couple of simple questions...

1. I'm going to order the Nano with Openvix, I notice the first thing everyone does is to flash the box , does flashing wipe Openvix?
    3. My Openbox cant watch and record another program at the same time ...can the Nano?

Cheers
    1/ When ordering and you select OpenViX as your preferred image, when you turn the box/receiver on you will be at the FIW stage. When you reflash an image, yes it will wipe the settings off etc, but your recordings will be left intact.
    2/ take a look at these for help etc >> http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/g...and-tutorials/
    3/ Yes the twin satellite means you will have 2x tuners, so will be able to watch n record another.
    Regards,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Cheers
    I remember when I got started and sounded this enthusiastic happy days
    Vu solo 2, vu solo se V2, technomate tm nano 2T OE.
    97cm technomate dish fixed 28.2E octo lnb, 13E twin lnb and 19.2E twin lnb.
    Logitech harmony 350.

Title
    Thanks
    Brilliant thanks for all your help, very much appreciated.

Haha yeap I'm very exited

Title
    Thanks
    Just noticed I can get the single tuner version of the Nano for £99. As I only have a satellite feed, apart from future proofing is there any other reason why I should go for the 2nd tuner version?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Even with only one feed, you'll have a few more recording options with 2 sat tuners & one configured as loopthrough.