Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install LibreELEC Kodi on Venz V10 Pro around 10 mintutes using USB boot stick

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts

Thumbs up How to install LibreELEC Kodi on Venz V10 Pro around 10 mintutes using USB boot stick

For this guide and setup i'm using a 32GB USB 2.0 stick. The Android OS will remain intact in flash providing the guide is followed.

Developer build LibreELEC dated 2016-11-09. This build has Kodi 17.0-Beta 6.

Prerequisites:

• USB 2.0 USB Stick, my recommendation would be a minimum of 8GB in size. Anything larger than 32GB may take a while resizing partitions during first boot.
    • LibreELEC USB-SD Creator.
      Code:
      https://libreelec.tv/downloads/
    • Filezilla
      Code:
      https://filezilla-project.org/
    • External USB Keyboard, RF Remote or Mini external USB RF keyboard will be required to obtain IP address from the unit during setup. Also to enable SSH during first setup wizard.
    • Remote.conf attached to this guide.
    • Toothpick / Cocktail stick to hold down reset in rear panel.

1) Download LibreELEC image file from here.
    Code:
    http://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s905/
    For this guide i'm using latest devel-krypton branch, tested and found very stable.
    The exact build I've is from branch 2016-11-09
    Code:
    http://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s905/devel-krypton/
    Download the top file in link below, you must use the img.gz for fresh install. 09-Nov-2016 22:03 - 131861525.
    Code:
    http://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s905/devel-krypton/2016-11-09/
    2) Connect the USB stick that you wish to us to your PC.

3) Open LibreELEC USB-SD Creator. Ignore Option 1. Option 2, click on Select file and select the img.gz file that you downloaded in step 1.
    4) Option 3 select your USB stick if its not automatically selected.
    5) Option 4, click on Write and wait for it to create your bootable LibreELEC stick. Click close once complete.

Now we move on to the Venz V10 Pro and boot from LibreELEC USB stick you've just created.

1) Ensure the V10 Pro is powered off.
    2) Connect USB stick to the device.
    3) On rear you will see a small hold for the reset button. Insert a toothpick or something similar to hold down the reset button.
    4) Whilst holding down the reset button, connect power. This can be a little fiddly. Keep holding down reset until LibreELEC boot screen appears. Once LibreELEC bootscreen appears you can release the reset button.
    5) Allow the 1st boot to complete.
    6) At the first boot its likely the remote control supplied with the Venz V10 Pro will not work. Connect an external USB keyboard. Complete the first setup wizard. ENSURE YOU ENABLE SSH. navigate to Settings > System Information to obtain the IP address. Now we need to SFTP the attached 'remote.conf' to /storage/.config.
    7) Open Filezilla. Host is IP of your device. Username = root, password = libreelec, port = 22. Click on Quickconnect.
    8) Bottom right box click on the '..' directory to go up one level. Then go into 'Storage' and then into .'config'.
    filezilla.jpgfilezilla2.jpg
    9) Bottom left box navigate to where you've saved 'remote.conf' attached to this guide and drag across into '.config' directory.
    filezilla3.jpg
    10) Reboot and enjoy fast lean Kodi through LibreELEC.
    11) Optional, but I'd advise to set LibreELEC to wait for network before starting Kodi. Settings > LibreELEC > Network > Scroll down to Advanced Network Settings and set Wait for network before starting Kodi to on.
    screenshot002.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

borg (26-11-16),henkieboy (14-03-17),remex74 (05-05-17),sparky44 (16-11-16)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    If you wish to boot back in to Android OS, hit the Power button in Kodi and then select 'Reboot from Internal'.
    screenshot011.jpg

To boot back into LibreELEC you need to use the 'tooth pick' method in step 3 of the guide.

The V10 Pro will not boot back into Android unless to select 'Reboot from Internal'. Power off or reboot will not cause it to boot back into Android OS.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

khan888 (16-11-16),sparky44 (16-11-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    is there a kodi 16 build download? if so which one is the latest?

cheers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    There is a Jarvis (Kodi 16) build -
    Code:
    http://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s905/7.0.2.009/
    By the way, if you are using Kodi on the Venz 10 Pro on a USB stick or SD card, once the initial install is done subsequent boots will be from the USB stick or SD card - no toothpick needed. Perform a shutdown when leaving Kodi as suspend doesn't work reliably at this point in time. The reboot is quick. If there is no SD card or USB stick with a libreELEC image present, then the box will boot from internal flash.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    will give it a try, cheers
    Last edited by borg; 18-11-16 at 21:58.

Title
    Thanks
    em yes - that's why I linked it! Do you have a query on it?
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Its just a pity that you cant use any apks when you boot from libreELEC..

Thats the only reason why i wont use libreELEC.. I need the android side of things with minimal hassle..

Title
    Thanks
    That's the ideal - good balance of functional Kodi plus the android add-ons.

Title
    Thanks
    gxl_p212_2g.dtb for Kodi 16.1
    Seems to be the correct download for venz 10 pro, installed and working a treat.
    http://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s905/7.0.2.009/device_trees/
    Last edited by borg; 19-11-16 at 21:31.

Title
    Thanks
    It should work with the built-in device tree in the image on the V10 Pro. No need for specific dtb file but it doesn't do any harm to use the one you did.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    im running krypton beta6 on my venz from usb stick. (im thinking to install it straight to flash, with the install2internal tool)

how easy is to update these betas from one to the next? are fresh installs always required?
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    Thanks
    Hi @rossi - just to confirm - are you running the LibreELEC builds? If so, the update mechanism for LibreELEC is to drop the .gz file into the Updates folder which you can see in Samba from your PC. After a reboot, LibreELEC will detect the update file, decompress and replace the System and Kernel. It's a bit slower on the USB stick, probably would be faster on the internal flash, but I haven't gone there yet. The update does not affect your Kodi settings, library etc. as they are held in a separate partition on the USB stick.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    yo matey

yep running the libreelec krypton builds.
    i installed beta6 to flash after running it on usb for a day or so
    runs much quicker, I'm just dubious about how often updates come etc.

sounds easy enough to update then as/when new builds come, thats ok, just didn't want to fresh flash all the time.

trying to see if i can possibly build it myself.
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    Thanks
    Runs fine for me on the USB stick. I didn't want to install it to the internal flash as it would blow away the android build and I'm not sure if I could recover it subsequently. @kszak seems to build about once a week. He's working on stabilising the audio and video performance. I would imagine that once Krypton is out of beta, then LibreELEC will have formal builds and probably monthly updates.

Title
    Thanks
    Is there somewhere I can download a copy of the android OS system for the V10 Pro.
    or at least a backup so i can reinstall.
    I would prefer to delete the android OS and install kodi direct.

The Kodi version that came installed on the unit keeps crashing (stopping)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast