Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autotimers and series link info

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    I would have thought first step would be to make E2 recognise the data. Once this happens, you can use it for other features. Same applies to the EPG ID that OpenTV EPG uses.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

EMJB (22-10-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Possibly not, as Vix doesn't store a list of what has been recorded. When AutoTimers are set to check against any previous recording they actually scan the ts.meta file of all existing recordings (including those in .Trash, IIRC). If you were doing a series link you'd probably want to know what has been recorded in the last <n> months, even if you've now deleted it (as was done on the Toppy). A sqlite database, perhaps...
    I was only suggesting that as a half-way house.

For the "full" solution, I envisaged holding the list of episodes recorded as part of an auto-timer, which would result in re-recording episodes transmitted prior to the setting up the autotimer which I agree may not be ideal but certainly an improvement on the present situation.

EMJB
    Xtrend Xt10000 with 3 Freeview tuners

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    I'm guessing the episode numbers are incremental. Would you have to register all recorded episodes or just recent ones?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    I'm guessing the episode numbers are incremental. Would you have to register all recorded episodes or just recent ones?
    Take a look at how episodes of The Big Bang Theory or Horizon are broadcast. Whether they are sequential within a series doesn't really make any difference.
    Last edited by birdman; 22-10-16 at 19:12.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    The episode numbers may not be monotonic. It's not material in any case as they just need to be unique. We are not trying to "guess" the next episode. Just need to keep a list of recorded episodes (maybe last 10/20?).
    But abu - you are right, we first need to determine if E2 can identify and scan episode and series CRIDs.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    I missed the first half of Great British Bake Off because they changed the bast*rd title by adding final! so my autotimer didn't work

I would be more than happy to contribute (say £20) to a developer fund to get series link recording capability, there is certainly interest in this area

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chumley For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (27-10-16)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    ... it nearly caught me out as well, but I spotted it in time.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chumley View Post
    I missed the first half of Great British Bake Off because they changed the bast*rd title by adding final! so my autotimer didn't work

I would be more than happy to contribute (say £20) to a developer fund to get series link recording capability, there is certainly interest in this area
    Prefix titles with "New:" , swapping "and" with "&" and other lazy editing means that exact matching will miss a timer now and then.

Better to do "partial match" for most timers and set "case insensitive search".

Set "require description to be unique" maybe though I have not yet.
    VU+ Uno 4K SE Twin FBC Tuner 1TB HDD - Magic-FHD skin
    TV - LG OLED55CS6LA
    Remote - Logitech Harmony One

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Valiant For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (27-10-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    One of our boxes recorded Bake off the other didn't, one was set to exact match, the other was set to start's with, although if they had changed it to - 'New - The Great British Bake Off' it still wouldn't have recorded.
    i think this crid implementation would be great if it works.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    Prefix titles with "New:" , swapping "and" with "&" and other lazy editing means that exact matching will miss a timer now and then.

Better to do "partial match" for most timers and set "case insensitive search".

Set "require description to be unique" maybe though I have not yet.
    Not sure that the partial match does quite what you expect - I suspect the whole of the AutoTimer name has to appear somewhere in the programme name to get a "hit", so doesn't cope with the "and/&" problem, or "New:" or "!" in the AutoTimer name but not in the programme name (but would be more than happy to be put right!). It would be nice if "New" ( as us ex-Toppy users are used to) and all the odd characters were stripped out of each before the "partial" comparison.

EMJB

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Partial match works perfectly and I have all my AT set to PT, across 3 boxes and probably 50 AT I have few failures. To make doubly sure description is not set to unique, for me it's not a problem as enough tuners but can see would be issue on single twin tuner with lots of AT's

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (27-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EMJB View Post
    Not sure that the partial match does quite what you expect - I suspect the whole of the AutoTimer name has to appear somewhere in the programme name to get a "hit", so doesn't cope with the "and/&" problem, or "New:" or "!" in the AutoTimer name but not in the programme name (but would be more than happy to be put right!).
    You're right.
    However, to record "Now and Then" or "Now & Then" (say) you could add a partial match for Now, then add a Filter to only include things with Then in the title.
    I do this to with the Big Bang Theory to only get the latest series episode. It currently has a filter for S10 on ShortDescription (was S9 when I first set it up).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (27-10-16),EMJB (27-10-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    You're right.
    However, to record "Now and Then" or "Now & Then" (say) you could add a partial match for Now, then add a Filter to only include things with Then in the title.
    I do this to with the Big Bang Theory to only get the latest series episode. It currently has a filter for S10 on ShortDescription (was S9 when I first set it up).
    With my viewing habits, this sort of complication is getting near the point where it is easier to sit down once a week and set up the short/medium length series timers manually (with VPS selected), which I do anyway in order to find/record the one-off programmes, and restrict AutoTimers to the very long series such as Coronation Street. Perhaps, however, it is just that on my Toppy I have been spoiled by one button set up of AutoTimer-equivalents from the EPG which have a very high hit, very low miss, and very low duplicate rates without any further tweaking.

EMJB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to EMJB For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (27-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    @EMJB - I've had similar good experience in the past with the Humax Foxsat series link and "exact record" - no ad padding so no need to step through 2-3 minutes of filler beforehand - 99.9% success rate. That being said, the autotimer on the ViX image is pretty darn good and very flexible. My only issues with it have been where I've used the default "exact match" and been caught out with "New:" or similar. So "operator error" mostly
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    That being said, the autotimer on the ViX image is pretty darn good and very flexible.
    Whereas I'd agree, I did have one circumstance where it failed: Channel5's broadcast of The Championship and Goal Rush which used to produce tuner conflicts with other Saturday night broadcasts. It was repeated several times, but each one had a slightly different description (which differed by more than the difference between successive different broadcasts). In the end I added my own extensions to be able to classify all EPG matches within a configurable time-frame (<n> hours from hh:mm on DoW) as the same programme. (Then the channel showed up on an HD mux and the tuner clashes went away).

There are things like "The Fall". Which you set up to record on a Thursday night, but the last episode gets broadcast on a Friday. With a Series Link you wouldn't need to remember.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast