Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: What DVB Card to be used.

Title
    Thanks

What DVB Card to be used.

Hi

I am new to satellite and DVB cards word. Let me put what is my goal.

I need to record one Channel using My PC.

I have put the satellite cable in to my satellite receiver and have tuned the channel to be recorded. (channel is paid so it has to be first decrypted by receiver, else i would have used the DVB-S2 card directly in my PC)

Now i need an output from my satellite receiver to go in to my PC in "some card" which can capture the feed and record.

I googled and found that there are 3 or 4 types of cards.

DVB-S/S2 --> for satellite
    DVB-T/T2 --> for TV
    DVB-C/C2 --> for Cable
    DVB-H --> for Mobile. (not matured yet)

I am bit confused here that what type of card should i buy for this. As it is a satellite channel but i think the output from satellite receiver "Should not be". it should be like TV signals. (i am absolutely not sure what i am saying)

so can someone advise me what card should i Use for this.

Thank You.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Avalon,

Your suggestion is valuable, i never knew that there is something called E2 Receiver. I will definitely look in to this. but still can you please advise, if i need to use some card in PC for my above mentioned purpose, what card will suites me.

Thank you

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akashif View Post
    Thanks Avalon,

Your suggestion is valuable, i never knew that there is something called E2 Receiver. I will definitely look in to this. but still can you please advise, if i need to use some card in PC for my above mentioned purpose, what card will suites me.

Thank you
    Dont get hung up on the term E2 receiver, he just means any one of the hundred or so enigma2 based Linux satellite receivers on the market.

and by using such a receiver you don't need a capture card you can simply stream the channel via your network directly to the pic and record it using some thing like the vlc media player.
    Last edited by Larry-G; 08-10-16 at 11:22.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,950 Times in 3,272 Posts
    All the receiver supported by openvix are e2 receivers. The receiver has the sat cable and decrypts the channel. The pc streams from the receiver and doesn't require a dvb card.

the price of an e2 receiver starts at less than the price of a decent dvb card.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

akashif (09-10-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akashif View Post
    Hi

I am new to satellite and DVB cards word. Let me put what is my goal.

I need to record one Channel using My PC.

I have put the satellite cable in to my satellite receiver and have tuned the channel to be recorded. (channel is paid so it has to be first decrypted by receiver, else i would have used the DVB-S2 card directly in my PC)

Now i need an output from my satellite receiver to go in to my PC in "some card" which can capture the feed and record.

I googled and found that there are 3 or 4 types of cards.

DVB-S/S2 --> for satellite
    DVB-T/T2 --> for TV
    DVB-C/C2 --> for Cable
    DVB-H --> for Mobile. (not matured yet)

I am bit confused here that what type of card should i buy for this. As it is a satellite channel but i think the output from satellite receiver "Should not be". it should be like TV signals. (i am absolutely not sure what i am saying)

so can someone advise me what card should i Use for this.

Thank You.
    Err none of the above, it seems you are going about this in a very old school way in that you are attempting to capture the output of your reciever.
    If this is indeed the way you intend to go then you need to decide which of the outputs you need capture.
    If it is the HDMI output, then you would need an HDMI capture card for your pc, but somewhere in the chain you would need something to strip out the HDCP i'm sure.
    If you have an older satellite receiver with a scart or composite output, you would need an analogue capture card or usb adaptor.
    or as stated, you could buy an enigma2 receiver, insert and set up your viewing card and just record the output to an HDD, then transfer this to pc via ftp <<<< a lot easier.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

akashif (09-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank You very much all for valuable information for a very Newbie.

I am sure enigma2 Sat Receiver will solve one of my requirements.

Full scope of this Project is explained in Images. I am attaching 4 Images of my requirements. Starting from P1. P2. P3. and Full.jpg

Full scope of this Project Text:

Head Line: "Create IPTV and VOD"

I need to Perform 3 Tasks in this project.
    1) Record Channel. and Provide Videos on Demand ( explained in P1.jpg) which i believe is solved by E2 Receiver. ( still need to figure out what software on PC will perform recording)
    2) Create IPTV server, which takes DVB-S2 cards, and Create a SAP announcement and clients can join the server over the network (very small network). (explained in P2.jpg)
    IPTV Server software, going to use DVBlast or mumudvb, and client will use MAG-254, ( please advise, if you think any better can be done)

3) Problem: there are 4 channels which are encrypted (which i am recording using E2 receiver), i need to add those in IPTV as well. and according to "DaMacFunkin" above, none of DVB cards will be able to read the input from a SAT receiver. and if i use some other card, my IPTV server softwares (mumudvb,DVBLast) might not be able to read those. so how can i read the encrypted channels in my IPTV system (explained in P3.jpg)

4) Problem: finally i am not sure if MAG250/MAG254/ will be able to read the SAP announcement from IPTV server and Videos from VOD server , if it cannot , what is the alternative client should i use.

Thanks a Lot again to all for really valuable information
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What you seem to want to do is highly illegal and as such you will not get any support on this forum.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S

Title
    Thanks
    "DaMacFunkin", thank you for pointing out, but i dont get what part of project is illegal,

the IPTV , or Recording or de-scrambled channels on IPTV. or ALL of it.

and by the way, this is a Home Project for now. and if somehow went successful, i might be providing solutions to Cable operators/ XYZ companies, which already have licenses of such systems.

and I understand, no meter what justification or intentions are. if my questions leads to illegal route, those should not be answered. and i appreciate it.

anyway, thanks again for support.
    I might come with some other questions later

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I think you will find the redistribution of pay TV channels is considered to be illegal.
    If the channels where not encrypted then this project would be somewhat easier than it is, fact.
    If indeed the project is for home or personal use then having one enigma2 box as master such as the solo4k with a Unicable II LNB serving other enigma2 boxes around your own home, or through a vpn to a private 'holiday' location or second home would be Just the right side of any grey area.
    Also a company called sundtek produces satellite and cable tuners that can be used as a tuner server either through selected NAS devices, Some Home routers, or Linux based servers.
    The fact is by using a Mag system which is known to be the box of choice for IPTV pirates it may appear that you are looking to set up a paid closed system, otherwise there are easier cheaper ways to do this.
    For example You can not take a FTA channel and redistribute it to anyone except Members of your own family living in your own house, you would need permission from the broadcaster, who would then need to check that all their content licensing is covered to allow an individual do this, basically they would not allow you to do it.
    I understand you might want to know workings of it, as a techy myself so would i, but the fact you came on asking how to re-distribute encrypted material would instantly lead someone to think you was upto no good.
    I wish you luck if you are indeed sincere.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S

Title
    Thanks
    DaMacFunkin, thanks again.

when you say "otherwise there are easier cheaper ways to do this.".

I am really interested in knowing what is the alternative of MAG254, That is i just searched over internet for SAP announcements client. what is alternative of MAG254, with less cost.

and i checked the solo4k, that is expensive. i think i will not go with that. i think i will go for something like this http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/.../Xtrend-ET7000, i dont need something fancy for my home project (as of now)

Thank You