Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Overscan Issues On Samsung Smart TV?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Right take it up with samsung. i will leave you to it.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

kryton (10-10-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by champs4life View Post
    Ye, but on some channels the picture is in a box with black border/bars around.

Picture doesnt cover the whole screen.

Dont like it like that tbh.

With some channels and with some programs you will always get black borders top/bottom or at the sides. It depends on how the broadcaster formats the image before broadcasting. Sometimes the broadcaster will take a programme originally made in a 4:3 format and convert it to a 16:9 format by placing the black bars left and right. When you box/tv receives the signal it is already in a 16:9 format with the black bars. The black borders top and bottom are as a result of a film being shot in a format wider than 16:9 and rather than cropping a bit from each side the broadcaster will add an blank area top and bottom to maintain the aspect ratio of the original film stock. These blanking areas can vary film to film and there isn't one film standard size.

Your box can stretch some 4:3 format broadcast material to fill a 16:9 screen but if the broadcaster has already formatted it to 16:9 you can still end up with black bars. For instance BBC2 Dad's Army originally made in a 4:3 format seems to have been converted for transmission and will have black bars.

Many people don't like stretchy vision where 4:3 formatted images are displayed full screen 16:9 as it makes people look fat but with the obesity crisis in the UK/USA most viewers don't notice this too much these days.
    Last edited by adm; 11-10-16 at 01:27.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    you must distinguish:

HD is always transmitted in 16:9 so neither letterbox nor pan&scan do anything.

SD if picture is 4:3
    - Just scale makes people look fat because the picture is stretched horizontally until the black bar is gone.
    - pan&scan keeps aspect/ratio and people look OK because horizontal and vertical stretch is the same. You loose some information on top and bottom, it is cut.
    - letterbox shows pixel 1:1 without stretching, bars left and right

SD if picture is 16:9
    - Just scale makes people get egg faces because the picture is stretched vertically until the black bar is gone.
    - pan&scan keeps aspect/ratio and people look OK because horizontal and vertical stretch is the same. If movie is in >16:9 like 21:9 (often blockbuster) you have small black bars on top and bottom.
    - letterbox shows pixel 1:1 without stretching, bars left, right, top and bottom

I prefer pan&scan.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Did you ever try this to factory reset the tv.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu-ray View Post
    Factory setting is hidden on my Samsung tv, to access it (with tv off) press info,menu,mute, then power.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Either the tv is setup wrongly, your vix box is configured wrongly, (or both).

This is what I would do, for what it's worth, but I fully understand that it's not a path you want to follow.

(1) Update the firmware on the tv. This will effectively do a factory reset of most, if not all, settings.
    These updates are supposed to fix problems, and improve others features.

Try it out and see if your problems can now be sorted.

I've never had a telly I could update the firmware on, so if this really is not advisable, then someone needs to say.

(2) If (1) hasn't helped, I would take an image backup of vix, and then flash the latest image without a settings/plugins restore.

Try it out by playing back recordings which should be the easiest way (no tuner setup needed). See how it goes.
    Try different AV settings, but make a note of each change you make.
    And you can change the position of the menus etc using Menu/Setup/System/User Interface/Position Setup.
    You can get back to your original image in a few minutes by restoring it.

You could try (2) first if you wanted.
    Last edited by ccs; 11-10-16 at 13:56.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    the box cannot enable/disable overscan on a TV. It is pure TV problem. I take a look at my Samsung settings when I am home.

ciao
    ---
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I checked my F-Type and I found nothing special I did. Only thing I always do first is disable CEC (Anynet+). I also had around 10 firmware updates without any problems. Perhaps I am a lucky guy.

Ralf
    ---

Title
    Thanks
    Hi everyone.

Apologies for the late reply. I have been seriously ill for a number of months and was barely online.

I did want to update this thread that after speaking to Samsung some time ago they informed to to disable overscan on the TV I have to hold the exit button I think for 10 seconds and let go which will get factory reset screen up. Don't remember full instructions. Managed to do that. The option after switch TV off still showed Screen Fit in the screen settings so does this mean overscan is off?

Problem is settings are at default and never changed the picture settings on the TV. Anyone tell me best settings to use?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Hello and sorry to hear about your illness.
    As regards your TV settings, selecting "Screen Fit" does indeed disable overscan on your TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Ok fine.

But with it resetting everything from scratch it did so with all settings.

What are the best picture settings to apply because all the settings are at default.

Not even sure what to do to get best picture settings seeing as everything had been factory reset.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Just try a different picture setting, I.e. Dynamic, Cinema modes etc and see which best suits you and your eyes etc. Everyone's settings will vary so no right or wrongs with regards the best picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Thats the thing Andy I have tried different settings and none of them seem to make any difference or not that I can notice.

As its all set to default not sure how much to change the settings if at all.

Thats why I asked if anyone especially with a Samsung TV could tell me what could be the best settings to apply.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have had a Samsung UE55ES8000 for a couple of years and I used settings recommended from this site.
    Hope it helps.

HTML Code:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-lcd-2012-tv-recommended-picture-settings-shown-with-menu-examples.1656351/
    Last edited by lammy1961; 07-01-17 at 10:33.
    VU Solo 2 With Latest VIX Image
    Three Eagle Linux Boxes
    1 Metre Gibertini Motorised Dish
    Superior DarkMotor
    Inverto Black Ultra Twin LNB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lammy1961 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (07-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Would those settings apply to my TV.

I know that every TV is different as some settings will work better on other TVs.

Atm the settings being on default not sure whether that is a positive or negative.

I really cant tell what the best settings are after randomly changing them.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just Googled "Best settings for Samsung UE55ES8000"
    It's just a matter of personal preferences.
    VU Solo 2 With Latest VIX Image
    Three Eagle Linux Boxes
    1 Metre Gibertini Motorised Dish
    Superior DarkMotor
    Inverto Black Ultra Twin LNB

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast