Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overscan Issues On Samsung Smart TV?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    I have 4 Samsung (A-, B- and F-Type) and with my VUs they never had a problem to switch off Overscan. I German it is called Bildanpassung and it survived standby and even power real off.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    I have a Samsung Tv, it is the only Samsung i have ever owned and i don't have any problems with it...
    It is obvious to me that the guy has set his enigma 2 box up whilst the tv is in overscan
    He has then turned over scan off 'on that input' by enabling screen fit which is correct
    He then has black bars around his screen, which on some channels may also be correct
    now he needs to either re-adjust his screen size settings on his enigma 2 box and or do this which is clearly stated in the manual for his TV

x Settings can be adjusted and stored for each
    external device connected to an input on the TV.

x After selecting Screen Fit in HDMI (1080i / 1080p)
    or Component (1080i / 1080p) mode: Adjusts the
    Position or Size by using ▲, ▼, ◄, ► button.

x If you use the Screen Fit function with HDMI 720p
    input, 1 line will be cut at the top, bottom, left and
    right as in the overscan function.
    So I was supposed to have the TV set to screenfit and then setup my enigma 2 box?

Will that have stopped the issues I am having?

So I have to reflash again?

But what I am saying is when I had screen fit enabled it had big black borders showing which in turn made the picture look small surely this isnt right. To add to that alot of channels give a wobbly type picture it doesnt look smooth compared to before.

Title
    Thanks
    My worry is if I downgrade to an old image similiar to one I had before could cause security issues.

I thought it might be the image but I am beginning to believe my box and TV are faulty giving me all these issues described which NEVER were there on the last image.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    What security issues are you worried about?

You say all these issues never gave you problems in an earlier image, but in you first post you say "..TV had overscan on by default for so long which had cut menus, some of the picture etc."

Title
    Thanks
    I dont know I just thought being on an old image would be detrimental.

My mistake I should have been more clear.

I didnt change any settings on the TV or box before on the old image. I assume overscan was on as it was on 16:9. I never had any menus cutting off or even picture bel cut off like is the case since reflashing to the latest image.

That what makes me question what is going on now.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    I have a Samsung Tv, it is the only Samsung i have ever owned and i don't have any problems with it...
    It is obvious to me that the guy has set his enigma 2 box up whilst the tv is in overscan
    He has then turned over scan off 'on that input' by enabling screen fit which is correct
    He then has black bars around his screen, which on some channels may also be correct
    now he needs to either re-adjust his screen size settings on his enigma 2 box and or do this which is clearly stated in the manual for his TV
    Not sure how you picked that up from the OP. It's not the way I read it, and certainly not the experience I've had with my Samsung. In my experience, the TV 'just scan' selection on the HDMI port is not maintained on power cycle. I think it might be to do with the HDMI input being switched between different resolutions as the VU+ box boots up. I've got the box set for 1080i / 50hz, but I seem to recall that during boot up, the box initially outputs 720p. I think this switching on start up might confuse the TV and results it it defaulting back to an overscan mode. I don't have access to the TV / VU box right now to test. It's quite an old LCD TV, which only has a single HDMI port, and if I recall, maximum resolution of 1080i!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaser View Post
    Not sure how you picked that up from the OP. It's not the way I read it, and certainly not the experience I've had with my Samsung. In my experience, the TV 'just scan' selection on the HDMI port is not maintained on power cycle.
    I switch my 6 year old Samsung 42" TV off at the mains each night. I have a lot of equipment on a remote controlled switch including the TV (but not my Enigam2 box).
    The just scan settings on the HDMI port used by the Enigma 2 has been maintained for at least 700 hard power off/power on sequences.

Edit
    On my Samsung TV each input has its own independent settings so one HDMI can be configured differently to another HDMI input.
    Last edited by adm; 04-10-16 at 21:48.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    I switch my 6 year old Samsung 42" TV off at the mains each night. I have a lot of equipment on a remote controlled switch including the TV (but not my Enigam2 box).
    The just scan settings on the HDMI port used by the Enigma 2 has been maintained for at least 700 hard power off/power on sequences.
    Okay, I probably wasn't particularly clear, but I think it might be more to do with the restarting of the VU+ box (and the subsequent resolution changes that occur on reboot), and less to do with power cycling the TV. I'll test out this theory when I get access to the kit.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaser View Post
    Okay, I probably wasn't particularly clear, but I think it might be more to do with the restarting of the VU+ box (and the subsequent resolution changes that occur on reboot), and less to do with power cycling the TV. I'll test out this theory when I get access to the kit.
    For info, a screenshot of my AV settings. I only watch broadcast TV on my box so a permanent setting of 1080i@50Hz suits.
    By having automatic resolution turned off I wonder if my box ONLY ever outputs 1080i irrespective of different source picture resolutions that may be used during boot-up. I also use my own boot-up images that were adjusted to 1920x1080 pixels before being converted to 1920x1080 .mvi files (bootlogo.mvi, bootlogo_wait.mvi etc.)

My power up sequence is probably 50:50 in what gets switched on first. Sometimes I switch the power to the TV on first and then bring my box out of deep standby and sometimes the box is busy recording in the background or gets switched out of standby before switching the the power to the TV.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adm; 04-10-16 at 22:43.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Would you guys think call Samsung directly solve the problem?

I dont want to reflash again.

I also found where I enable screen fit. The "screen mode" is highlighted to 16:9 and cant be changed. Now whether this is causing it going back to default overscan setting im not sure.

I hate my TV and box now. I hate watching TV. Average picture quality and cropping of menus/picture. Its unbearable.

You guys who have it all working perfectly are lucky and I envy you.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    perhaps try another input on your Samsung. My box is connected to HDMI2 and I can switch overscan off and it stays this way.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

champs4life (05-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    perhaps try another input on your Samsung. My box is connected to HDMI2 and I can switch overscan off and it stays this way.

ciao
    Thanks trial for the suggestion.

Unfortunately even after switching HDMI inputs on the TV still same issue with it defaulting back to 16:9. The picture on most channels seems to be moving as well compared to before where it never did.

I dont want to reflash to an old image as the feeds will be lost.

I am out of options it seems then. As nothing I do is working.

Title
    Thanks
    Try 4.1
    Thats working fine for me and plugins are still available.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kryton View Post
    Try 4.1
    Thats working fine for me and plugins are still available.
    But will downgrading images solve the overscan issue, picture issues I am having?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Back up your current setup in the image manager before you test. You can then quickly reflash if the older image does not work for you. There is only one way to find out and that is to do it yourself.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

champs4life (05-10-16),kryton (05-10-16)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast