Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overscan Issues On Samsung Smart TV?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Thanks

Overscan Issues On Samsung Smart TV?

Hi I really need help please.

So I found out my TV had overscan on by default for so long which had cut menus, some of the picture etc.

So I decided to turn it off by enabling "screen fit"

However no matter if I turn TV off, or the receiver or if the receiver is on overscan automatically turns back on.

Why is this happening? Is my TV or box faulty which is causing this?

I am going crazy with this as it shouldnt be changing to 16:9 if I turned overscan off.

I really hope someone can help me. Not sure if Samsung can help.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What shouldn't be switching to 16:9?
    Screen fit disables overscan, all this does is stop the tv stretching the screen a few lines in each direction, the purpose of which is to 'tidy' or hide noise around the edge of the picture such as time base code.
    It in no way affects aspect ratio switching.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Thanks
    Well I got told to turn off overscan I had to go in to aspect ration and enable screen fit and I have but it automatically goes back to 16:9 meaning overscan is back on.

But since reflash and applying skin the picture seems to be wobbling and there seems to be black borders all round especially when screen fit is enabled. This ruins the viewing experience.

What is going on? Is the TV/Box faulty or something? It also seem picture quality is worse than before whether that is because of screen fit I dont know.

Im lost on what to do.

Title
    Thanks
    What exact models of equipment you have? Maybe you can provide some pictures/screenshots of your settings and problem?

Title
    Thanks
    Might be a long shot but my sammy tv was doing the same thing, changing between screen modes on its own, turns out for some reason "store demo" was enabled in "user mode".
    Changed it to "Home use" and alls good.

As for picture quality im having poor sd quality in later versions of vix...its undecided if its a driver or image problem...depending what box you have
    Last edited by kryton; 03-10-16 at 17:43.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kryton View Post
    Might be a long shot but my sammy tv was doing the same thing, turns out for some reason "store demo" was enabled in "user mode".
    Changed it to "Home use" and alls good.

As for picture quality im having poor sd quality in later versions of vix...its undecided if its a driver or image problem...depending what box you have
    Have to say regret updating the image and seems I have loads of issues since being on latest image.

Plus picture quality seems poor even HD compared to the last image I was on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to champs4life For This Useful Post:

kryton (03-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by champs4life View Post
    Have to say regret updating the image and seems I have loads of issues since being on latest image.

Plus picture quality seems poor even HD compared to the last image I was on.
    Do what i did and flash it back to a more stable image for your box.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kryton View Post
    Do what i did and flash it back to a more stable image for your box.
    Thats the thing not sure what stable version of the image is.

Was told to flash to latest image as its solves issues etc but man its ruined everything for me.

Title
    Thanks
    Not sure of model its a Samsung Smart TV.

I am unable to take picture at the moment.

What it is when I change the settings by going in to aspect ratio. Its on 16:9 by default but then to turn overscan off I changed to "screen fit" which is in the aspect ratio setting.

But I noticed the channels not have the picture full fitted on the screen it just has black borders around the edges and seems to me like picture isnt fully on the screen. Plus seems the picture has got wobbly as well since changing to screen fit. Are these issues normal?

Also I have noticed it randomly changes to 16:9 after I had changed to screen fit. Not sure why it keeps doing this.

These issues happened after reflash and applying a skin. Not sure if its the receiver or TV or what else.

I am completely lost.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champs4life View Post
    Not sure of model its a Samsung Smart TV
    Menu. -> support -> contact Samsung ..... then read the text for the model number
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    It would take 5 minutes to get back to where you were if you made a backup image before upgrading.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

kryton (03-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Ive managed to get 4.1 working ok with the skin i like with a few tweaks in AV settings.

If you go lower than 4.1 you lose access to the plugin feeds.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks twol. Will try to find it and let you know.

I have to say I dont know what to do as I am not sure if I really have turned overscan off and if I have why does everything look weird and why does it go back to default 16:9 setting.

Dont know if by reflashing and applying a skin something changed.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Having read the issues and complaints about Samsung picture handling not surprised you are having issues.
    General comments seem to suggest setting the receiver output to 1080i (not 1080p .... another Samsung issue) and using auto wide NOT screen fit.

Could be worth trying to fix your current issues or if it is possible returning the TV for another make - sorry just showing my love for all things Samsung
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

champs4life (03-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks twol you really have me concerned now lol.

I have the A/V settings as 1080i multi scale letterbox. Not sure if that is issue.

So will auto wide turn over scan off and will it make picture quality worse.

Even after setting screen fit the picture quality seemed poor which I didnt expect it to be. Having it on 16:9 didnt improve as that cut of menu, picture etc.

Cant return TV as out of warranty and cant afford a new TV.

So all in all I am screwed. My TV is messed up and I have to force to stay on 16:9 meaning back to dreaded overscan.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast