Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Is there any benefit to a VU+ Solo 4k?

Title
    Thanks

Is there any benefit to a VU+ Solo 4k?

Hi

Just looking for a bit of info really, had a look around but couldn't find a definitive answer. My grandad currently has a TM Nano-3T box which he's had for a little over 18 months now and he's very happy with it. He went out yesterday and invested in a new top of the line 4K UHD TV, and he's decided he would like to upgrade his box as well. He asked me what 4K boxes are currently available and I pointed out the VU+ Solo 4K

My question is, obviously on Astra 28.2e you are only really getting SD channels and the FTA HD channels, would he notice any quality difference in the upscaling of the SD channels on the VU+ Solo 4k compared to his current TM-Nano 3T or would the difference be minimal? He is determined he wants the box but I question if it's worth him spending the £349 on it when his current box is still running fine

Advice welcome, Thanks

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    I have to admit, I use mine with a LG OLED, pq is best I've seen on any box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    That's good to know, think he's gonna go for it

Title
    Thanks
    Having a 4k vu box myself and hd freeview tv (not uhd) I notice the different compared to the solo 2 i have in another room watching hd channels
    Will be investing in a uhd tv sometime after xmas hopefully then there will be 4k channels available

Title
    Thanks
    What's the difference like on standard channels? Obviously there is the HD freeview channels but he will be using his s*y card at well from his normal hd box to unlock the standard channels, just wondered if it will make much difference to them

Title
    Thanks
    What TV did he buy? Depending on brand and model the upscaler in the TV may be better than what's in the STB anyway so sometimes it's worth trying both methods to see which works better for each combination.

Title
    Thanks
    It's a samsung 55" KU6470 (I believe the 70 means its a curry's exclusive). I've tested both 4k sat and 1080p sat through it and it seems good quality. But now he's saying to me he wants this box as well lol

Title
    Thanks
    If he does get it try the 4K outputting at 1080i, 1080p and 2160p and then you'll see the differences - if 1080i is better then the TV is the better upscaler and if the 2160p is better the Vu box is better

The differences can be pretty subtle sometimes