Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Advice sought; which STB would be best? Vu+ Duo2 or Xtrend ET8500 (or anything else)?

Title
    Thanks

Advice sought; which STB would be best? Vu+ Duo2 or Xtrend ET8500 (or anything else)?

Hi,

I've been reading the forum for some time now, and have just registered to get advice from forum members.

I'm looking to buy a new STB to replace my Amiko A3 which is pretty good, but only has 1 tuner and is a bit slow. The missus is alos technologically challenged and can't work anything more complicated than a Sky remote.

I've been boggled by the variety available; I looked at the Wetek Play box with twin satellite tuners, the Gigablue HD800 Quad Plus, the Edision Optimuss OS3. The Vu+ Duo2 seems to be an excellent choice, but then I noticed the advert for the Xtrend on this site and this looks really good, as well as being quite a bit cheaper.

I have a couple of questions - I have 2 satellite feeds which will go into the DVB S2 ports. I also have a feed from my aerial for Freeview. Can I plug this into a DVB T port and have a feed from the STB to the back of the TV to feed that as well?

Secondly, I have a Humax Foxsat HDR which I've modded using Raydon's firmware so that I can see it on my network and use Kodi to play recorded programmes. Will I be able to do the same for these boxes as well?

I'm also not sure what the transcoding function is on the Duo2, is it similar to watching the programmes on the network?

I'm interested in the Kodi function with the Duo2, but I already have a Fire Stick, Apple Mac Mini and a few other things to use for that so it's not essential.

Is the Duo2 faster than the Xtrend?

Finally, is there anything else that I should consider? I don't want to spend more than the Duo2, but happy to look at anything else.

Sorry if the terminology isn't quite correct!

Thanks, Craig

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    duo 2 very nice box as is the xtrend,went for the xtrend 10000 with 2 x sat tuners and 2 x dvb/c/t/t2 tuners using dvb/c.that box was cheaper for me and well supported.
    possibly dvb/t tuners can be linked with one feed but may need a splitter before box to supply tv side.
    box will need internal hdd wos max size is 1tb but bigger ones out there.
    worth getting a 8gb usb kingston stick for flashing box or for setting up epg to.
    yes these boxes can be seen on network once mounted.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

lippo (21-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Cactikid.

Do you know about the transcoding? Is it a big plus?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    to be honest i dont use it and i probably read up about it and forgot it

funny what google brings up.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...ma2-Transcoder
    Last edited by cactikid; 21-08-16 at 20:39.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

lippo (21-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks once again. I did do a search prior to asking, clearly my skills weren't up to the job!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lippo For This Useful Post:

cactikid (21-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Personally I would go with the Vu+ Duo2. Excellent receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

lippo (21-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Andy. I wonder if it's £100 better though?

Title
    Thanks
    cant fault the xtrend models, running a et8000 and it excellent, especially for a first timer. had a look, and couldn't justify the vu money when compared to the xtrend models. its really down to personal preference.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ford1 For This Useful Post:

lippo (21-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Ford1. The Duo2 has more options, it seems you can stream live channels to Kodi as well. Also it has Airplay, although I rarely use it.

Is your Xtrend fast to boot and change channel?

Title
    Thanks
    as far as I know, the xtrend can live stream, I have it set up to live stream to my mobile when im out of the house, so I know that works.
    as for airplay, from what I understand that no longer works on any e2 receiver. the main advantage to the vu, is they run a full version of kodi, however if you read some posts, its not as responsive as a fire stick. so is it worth a £100 more, not in my opinion. but that is just my opinion.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ford1 For This Useful Post:

lippo (22-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who helped me. I rang WOS and got some more info and plumped for the ET8500 with 2 S2 and 2 T2 tuners.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lippo View Post
    Thanks Andy. I wonder if it's £100 better though?
    the duo2 was vastly over priced at launch and is even more so now. So no it's not worth paying a extra 100 quid for it.

all E2 receivers can live stream channels although only a select few can transcode the stream.

Yes kodi is available for some select Vu+ receivers but I would not buy one just on the strength of that feature when a 30 quid fire tv stick still vastly out performs all E2 boxes when it comes to kodi.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (22-08-16)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    Yes kodi is available for some select Vu+ receivers but I would not buy one just on the strength of that feature when a 30 quid fire tv stick still vastly out performs all E2 boxes when it comes to kodi.
    Many peeps just want an good quality all in one box where they can stream stuff through Kodi and have the TV set top box. Many just want to play streams and install some wizard... VU+ can, yes might be a little slower loading (sure those users wouldn't mind as they got rid of a box under their tv) some stuff compared to an android box, but it still loads and plays most stuff.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lippo View Post
    Thanks to everyone who helped me. I rang WOS and got some more info and plumped for the ET8500 with 2 S2 and 2 T2 tuners.
    I received my ET8500 last Friday, its a bit of a learning curve for me as IO never use E2/ Linux before. Im still tinkering with the box to get things right recording wise and exporting recordings. have 3 x DVB T2

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    duo 2 very nice box as is the xtrend,went for the xtrend 10000 with 2 x sat tuners and 2 x dvb/c/t/t2 tuners using dvb/c.that box was cheaper for me and well supported.
    possibly dvb/t tuners can be linked with one feed but may need a splitter before box to supply tv side.
    box will need internal hdd wos max size is 1tb but bigger ones out there.
    worth getting a 8gb usb kingston stick for flashing box or for setting up epg to.
    yes these boxes can be seen on network once mounted.

Yes the duo2 is a nice box but insanely overpriced, there's far better on the market now with better specs for less cost than the duo2.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (25-08-16)