Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: This Weekend is CRUNCH TIME! (Receiver Setup)

Title
    Thanks

Lightbulb This Weekend is CRUNCH TIME! (Receiver Setup)

Edision OS Mini and the Xtrend ET8500

Wish me luck!? I'm gonna need it.........

Title
    Thanks
    I hope to receive to 2nd splitter either today or tomorrow.
    In the hope I receive it I plan on doing the following come Saturday morning:

1 - Thread new TiVo cable through bedroom wall to outside leaving enough to pull down and connect to brown box Splitter (Box on outside of house).
    2 - Turn off the hub and power to TV and sky etc.
    3 - Connect outside splitter (in) to main cable that runs to brownbox / Connect White Tivo Cable (will this affect the signal with nothing being plugged in upstairs at present?) to splitter (out) and connect cable to splitter (out) that's connected to white box on internal wall.
    4 - Disconnect cable currently connected to WIFI-HUB and then connect to (in) on the 2nd splitter - Using another cable connect one end to (out) on the same splitter and another cable to the 2nd (out) on the splitter then to the Xtrend box DVB/C.
    5 - Using a Loopthrough Cable connect one end to Tuner A and the other to Tuner B.
    6 - Connect Satellite cable to DVB/T
    7 - Connect Ethernet cable from HUB to Xtrend receiver.
    8 - MULTIROOM - Connect White Tivo cable coming from Brownbox splitter to DVB/C on the Edision.
    9 - Connect the two (white) Satellite cables to DVB/T on the Edision.
    10 - Plug the power source in on both Xtrend and Edision and begin main setups firstly on the Xtrend and then the Edision?

How did I do?
    Don't tell me if I've just gone and potentially blown up my Brand spanking Receivers?!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quite a few posts on these forums that suggest splitting a cable input by more than a total of two destinations results in a signal that is too weak. Every passive splitter that you put in the path will attenuate the signal. How many ways are you splitting the incoming cable and is the number greater than your existing set-up?

Any un-terminated cable connected to a splitter is likely to result in unwanted reflections that may/will degrade the signal. You are likely to get reflections if you just use a splitter with an un-terminated output - it may work, or it may not.
    I use 75 ohm terminations on any unused outputs on my home distribution system
    Code:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-10-F-connector-Terminator-Plug-75-Ohm-For-Unused-Outputs-On-Boosters-Etc-/251273841135?hash=item3a811689ef:g:lJEAAOxyOalTZO5a
    you may need one of these to connect the above termination to the end of an F cable
    Code:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-Barrel-Connector-Coupler-Join-Extend-F-Plug-Coax-Aerial-Satellite-Cable-/162095472107?hash=item25bda49deb:g:lfIAAOSwPgxVLQmd
    Are you reusing the thinner twin (shotgun) RG65 cable, often used for sky/freesat insulations for a cable TV connection. If so be aware that the thin cable has substantially more attenuation per metre than a good quality Webro WF100 type cable and if you are short of signal level for cable/terrestrail TV this could push the signal level over the edge.

A good quality two way passive split has a typical insertion loss of 4.7dB (each output = approx 0.58 of the input voltage)
    A good quality three way passive split has a typical insertion loss of 7.0dB (each output = approx 0.45 of the input voltage)
    A good quality four way passive split has a typical insertion loss of 8.5dB (each output = approx 0.38 of the input voltage)
    Last edited by adm; 21-07-16 at 18:24.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (21-07-16)

Title
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    That actually just really hurt reading that?! :/
    I'm screwed!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beaudaniels For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (21-07-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I nearly typed that earlier but my eyesight went blurry lol

The OPs posts I meant!

Title
    Thanks
    I'll forget connecting the outside splitter in the brown box for the time being.
    Think I'll just try and set up the main box in the living room first - Xtrend ET8500 first as recommended by Andy_Hazza.
    Therefore, I'll start by using one splitter to the Xtrend and try setting it up.
    However, I've just had everything out and i can't for the life of me get the plug connected to the supplied adaptor :/

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What's the plug and what is the adapter - a ink to a picture/suppliers web page may be of help.

Edit
    Are you referring to the 2 pin mains plug to the 3 pin UK main plug adapter. If so open up the cover of the adapter and the two pin plugs fits inside - the two pin plug becomes captive inside the adapter.
    Last edited by adm; 21-07-16 at 20:07.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

beaudaniels (21-07-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    What's the plug and what is the adapter - a ink to a picture/suppliers web page may be of help.

Edit
    Are you referring to the 2 pin mains plug to the 3 pin UK main plug adapter. If so open up the cover of the adapter and the two pin plugs fits inside - the two pin plug becomes captive inside the adapter.
    all sorted..... Need a cable terminator and a few cable adaptors for the loop through cable :/
    Straight to electrical store after work me thinks....

Title
    Thanks
    MAhoooosive thanks to Andy.H for assisting me with setting up both boxes at the weekend
    Just hoping the variable attenuator from Maplins will cure the freezing etc - or she WILL kill me! lol