Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Linux Box to buy.

Title
    Thanks

Best Linux Box to buy.

Hello all, I am about to plunge in to the world of Linux, after using a spiderbox and a openbox v8.... i am not totally savvy with linux boxes but im willing to learn, i have about 150ish to spend,
    i want to be able to watch one channel and record another, be able to put kodi on but not essential, be able to add a internal or external hard drive, all your help with this dilemma would be appreciated. thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    If you can extend your budget to £169 go for the extrend et8500 for £169 from World of Satellite. The links are plastered all over this forum
    I don't have one but if I was purchasing a new receiver that's the one I would go for. It has decent specs and reviews are positive. This receiver supports internal HDD.

Lower down your budget then entry-level twin-tuner receiver is Edison OS-Mini for £107 delivered - I have setup many of these boxes and can definitely recommend. It comes with built-in WiFi so may be useful to some. You will have to use USB pen or USB HDD for external recording.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Danlou, thanks for your reply, i have been offered a VU+ SOLO2 super fast twin tuner + 500GB HDD that is a year old for 130 is that a good price and a good box...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harty63 View Post
    Hi Danlou, thanks for your reply, i have been offered a VU+ SOLO2 super fast twin tuner + 500GB HDD that is a year old for 130 is that a good price and a good box...
    snap it up mate. you wont be disappointed.

Title
    Thanks
    Have just bought it, waiting for it to be delivered, bought it of flea bay so hope i have not been stung...... will be on asking loads of help questions so please be patient with me, thanks again...

Title
    Thanks
    You have got a an amazing deal at that price - they cost around £200 new without any hard drive. Just make sure it's genuine. If there is more going send me the link

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Have just bought it, waiting for it to be delivered, bought it of flea bay so hope i have not been stung...... will be on asking loads of help questions so please be patient with me, thanks again...
    Be careful it's not a clone?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts

Best Linux Box to buy.

Flebay full of clones. Hope you have a genuine one or you are buggered!! We don't offer support for cloned receivers here and also ViX can't be run on cloned receivers! Hope you asked your questions n did your research before you bought it......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andy_Hazza; 15-07-16 at 18:15.
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    oh dear me NOT Fleebay. ask the seller if its original or clone, if clone ask for a refund

Title
    Thanks
    Well folks you were right, i checked on clones on google and yes it was a clone, but good news is the person i bought it off did not know either and have refunded my money(one lucky person)and they are trying to get in touch with the person who sold them it... good luck with that. i will definitely take more care next time.

so i will start again, anyone recommend a good linux box for me to start of with for about 150ish..... THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Could you stretch your budget to one of these >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...E-V2-2x-DVB-S2 and you can have the full vuplus-kodi app running on it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Lucky boy
    Given your budget and requirements this would just about fit (no Kodi though) Comes in at just under £160 (assuming sat tuners and 320gb hdd) never used one but as WOS sell it I'm sure it's decent.
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...M-Nano-SE-Plus
    Last edited by Willmoore; 16-07-16 at 13:17.
    VU+ Solo2 HDD Harmony 650 remote
    Mutant HD51 4K
    VU+ Zero
    Edision OS MINI

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Andy i probably Could but the more i read about linux the more nervous i become about adding things like images and firmware... but need to make my mind up soon.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Hi Andy i probably Could but the more i read about linux the more nervous i become about adding things like images and firmware... but need to make my mind up soon.
    Firmware? You only need the image and then run setup .... Plenty of guides to do all that, and also WoS will flash the image of choice for you, what could be simpler
    I would go for the Xtrend ET8500 and buy a Kodi stick, better to choose products that are designed for their purpose... also as I keep reading in the forums there is no guarantee that Kodi will be always available on Vu+

Linux ..... was always a windows guy, now my main system is Ubuntu and have E2 receivers .... its like everything until you try it you don,t realise how easy it can be
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Twol, i already have a Android box but was thinking of putting all on one box, what i am needing is something i can use like i would my sly box as i'm going to cancel it as it's to expensive, like series link, watch and record another channel, i was looking at the ET8500 but don't seem to see much help on them at the moment with them being pretty new, most things i look at are in germam...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast