Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Fallback tuner record problems.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Fallback tuner record problems.

Hello, On my VU+ solo4k I have 2x 28.2 sat connections (and 2x cable connections) running vix 4.1 015, i have a motorised dish connected to a Amiko Alien mini running a patched version of open pli.
    In the solo4k i set it to use the tuner on the Alien as a fallback tuner, load a multisat bouquet into the solo4k and then use the solo4k to view various channels on my motorised sat via the alien which is always in standby, this works fine including 4k channels.
    If i want to record a channel on my solo4k from say turksat, i tune the channel and press record and choose one of the options, the channel then starts to record on my solo4k fine.
    But if i then want to watch a previous recording on my solo4k or tune to a channel on 28.2 the recording and/or stream from server box goes black, i still get the record indicator on the front of the solo4k but it no longer records or tunes.
    Is there something i need to set on either box so the fallback tuner stays active whilst recording when i browse to something else?
    Thanks for any help.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    So i have tried this a different way with Remote stream and any attempt to record the remote stream on the solo4k results in total picture break up.
    Does recording from fallback tuner or remote stream not work correctly, like i said it seems to work fine recording from fallback tuner, but you have to be watching what you are recording, as soon as you navigate somewhere else the client 'releases' the stream, even though it is still recording.
    ??
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    I don,t have your complexity, but if you are asking whether the basic operation of fallback tuner/rscs works then Yes, both in streaming/recording.... although with fallback tuner I have never used it in "split" mode where some channels use the fallback tuner and some use an actual tuner on the client receiver.

Only issues, I have come across are due to receiver failings (eg not enough processing power)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It's definatley a bug in the code, the fallback tuner records on the client fine, till i need to use the client video decoder for something else, then the client returns the tuner to the server, this is wrong as it shouls keep the tuner as it is recording from it.
    Can anybody else confirm this is the default scenario with fallback.
    It really is an oversight if it is.
    Thanks.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S

Title
    Thanks
    So something not correct
    Disabled 19.2E on both my Sat tuners, so 19.2 channels will be picked up from the remote server on fallback tuner.
    Switched to ZDF on 19.2E, started a recording.
    Switched to BBC1 and tried to start a recording - refused due to timer conflict with ZDF timer recording - ?????? Why when I have 2 tuners - Yes, both in use the recording is on the channel I am watching.

Not the same as your issue, but in my view not correct.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

DaMacFunkin (02-07-16)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Why aren't you doing the recording on the server box.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Because the server box is only there for its tuner capability's and contains no storage medium, the plan is/was a way to add a usuals compatible tuner to my solo4k, I need both the sat inputs on the solo4k connected to 28.2, the sundtek USB s2 tuner I own isn't fit for purpose, it can neither run ABM so is no good as a 28.2 tuner and it can't control a motorised dish either.
    So to summarise we can only record from fallback tuner if it we watching it at the same time.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    When using fallback there is no way of knowing if the remote tuners are/will be actually available. That's the reason the option 'disable timer conflict detection' has been introduced.
    In other words: using fallback for recordings can be seen as an extra emergency option that might allow you to do a recording that wouldn't be possible with local tuners. It's far from fail safe.

A better option would be to let the server box do (all) the recordings. That way you're certain timer conflicts will be handled correctly.
    There is no need for any storage medium in the server box; you can use the same storage location as you were trying to use on your local box.

So:
    1- Set the timer(s) on the remote box (this can even be made default).
    2- Set an available storage location (internal/NAS/other STB).

Having said that: why would you want to have an internal HDD in your local box, and not in the server box?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Rob, the point i am making is that once a fallback tuner is being recorded from, it should be locked for the duration of the recording, not switch itself off as soon as the video decoder in the client is used for something else, this doesn't seem correct to me.
    Also as i stated, i have no desire to use the Amiko as my main box over the solo4k... i only need it for its tuner capabilities, i guess i could set the recording on the Amiko to use the solo4k hard drive, but this isn't the level of integration i was hoping for.
    I still think that fallback tuner should stay locked during a recording, especially if nothing is accessing the server box
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    I agree with that.
    Could you try if the same issue is there, when recording a service via the RemoteChannelService plugin?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    I still think that fallback tuner should stay locked during a recording, especially if nothing is accessing the server box
    Well I did run one test, where I switched everything to the fallback tuner, started a recording and then re-enabled the tuners ... although the receiver showed it was still recording, the recording apparently terminated at the point of switch back.... so neither one thing or the other If I start a recording I would expect it to honour that decision as the fallback connection should (and was) still be there !
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    Hi Rob, the point i am making is that once a fallback tuner is being recorded from, it should be locked for the duration of the recording, not switch itself off as soon as the video decoder in the client is used for something else, this doesn't seem correct to me.
    Also as i stated, i have no desire to use the Amiko as my main box over the solo4k... i only need it for its tuner capabilities, i guess i could set the recording on the Amiko to use the solo4k hard drive, but this isn't the level of integration i was hoping for.
    having the exact same issue here - very strange behaviour and agree that once the recording is set via the client box on the "remote" box the "remote" box should continue with the timer recording regardless of whether the client decides to change channel or even switch off.

I have noticed this behaviour with both remote stream & with fallback options.

Title
    Thanks
    I have practicaly the same problem here.Masterbox with 4 tuners and HDD (shared for remote box) .When I start recording from EPG on remote box recording starts but as soon as I go to another channel on remote box recording stops and is black.Normally recording should go on without problems on masterbox and suppose fallback should ask another tuner to watch.
    Recordings made from EPG on slavbox are black screen and so not decoded.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E