Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Can't rewind timeshift using remote stream/fallback tuner

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Attachments
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't rewind timeshift using remote stream/fallback tuner

Title
    Thanks

Can't rewind timeshift using remote stream/fallback tuner

Thought it best to make a new, concise thread for this specific issue.

For months now my VU+ Zero has not rewound in timeshift. It pauses and unpauses just fine. As soon as you press rewind it effectively just exits as if you've pressed stop.

This has happened for me on multiple versions of 3.2, 4.0 and now 4.1. I did a fresh flash of 4.1 from USB stick. I've tried with and without settings restore.

Presuming it was the USB stick, i've tried three different sticks and it happens on all. I've tried the sticks as EXT3 and EXT4. I've reformatted and reformatted the sticks. I've tried them as HDD's and as USB sticks.

Having tried all that i'm quite sure its not USB stick related for that reason and because it DID work with the USB stick that its used at one point. In fact at the very start timeshift used to work even when I mounted my Duo2's hard drive to it vis NFS and use that as the timeshift device. That also no longer works, so there must be something else somewhere.

There is no crash, so the only log I can generate is a debug log which is attached here during a session in which I attempted timeshift a few times.

It terms of settings they are default except I have save when channel zap turned to off (so it basically functions exactly like it does on Sky +) and of course the location set to wherever it should be.

I also don't have any plugins installed except the ones that come stock with the images.

Enigma2-2016-04-21_15-28-04.log

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Menu > Setup > System > Timeshift settings > Do you have timeshift enabled?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Menu > Setup > System > Timeshift settings > Do you have timeshift enabled?
    Yes of course, starts automatically after 10 seconds. But even without it automatically starting it should still work when you press pause, then un-pause and try to rewind (thats the way it works on the Duo 2) the automatic setting isn't "enabling" timeshift, its just making it automatically start recording/caching the channel you're on so you can rewind at any point. In my testing, i'm not even trying to rewind after watching a show for a certain amount of time - i'm trying a much more simple "Pause for a while, un pause, allow to play for a minute or so and try to rewind" It doesn't rewind, it just acts like I pressed play again (eg stutters and carrys on playing).

But yes, of course i've also tried just rewinding in real time as the timeshift should have automatically kicked in, but of course that doesn't work.

Incidentally - rewinding and fast forwarding works fine with recordings streaming from the Duo 2.

I have of course searched the forums and found a few people with a similar bug, but these were years ago and most seem to reside with drivers at the time which shouldn't be affecting me now.
    Last edited by realdannys; 21-04-16 at 19:47.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Using a stick or actual usb hdd? I'd recommend using hdd, initialised by receiver to ext4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Blu-ray (08-05-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Using a stick or actual usb hdd? I'd recommend using hdd, initialised by receiver to ext4.

I said 3 different sticks in the first post.

Id rather not use a HDD just for timeshift if possible, especially as it was working just fine with a stick originally. I doubt i've got any spare spinning disks either and id rather use SSD so its silent anyway. I think i've got a spare SSD laying around I could use to test. Anything a bit more substantial/advanced to try though as I'm pretty sure its not the media in question.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Use a SSD or hdd. Sticks don't cope with data required for timeshift, had similar with other boxes.

Last edited by Huevos; 22-04-16 at 19:35.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Use a SSD or hdd. Sticks don't cope with data required for timeshit, had similar with other boxes.

Right, well for arguments sake I just tried it with a 2TB hard drive and exactly the same happens - as I said, its nothing to do with the media in question, there is something wrong somewhere in the code - but how to fix it??

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Can you just confirm something, are you using the Zero with no signal wire and using fallback tuner?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realdannys View Post
    Presuming it was the USB stick, i've tried three different sticks and it happens on all. I've tried the sticks as EXT3 and EXT4. I've reformatted and reformatted the sticks. I've tried them as HDD's and as USB sticks.
    A USB stick is a USB stick - you can't make it an HDD. Mounting it as /media/hdd is just a Rose by Any Other Name.

There is no crash, so the only log I can generate is a debug log which is attached here during a session in which I attempted timeshift a few times.
    That log ends with a Segmentation fault. That's a crash to me (but no crash log).

If I pause live TV, wait 30s, start playing and then move back it all works. That's of little help to you, but it doe smean that I can see what a "working" log looks like.

Your logs contains a lot of these:
    < 225.521> [eMPEGStreamInformation::getLastFrame] - no data (yet?)
    < 225.522> [eDVBTSTools] calcEnd [@ML] m_streaminfo.getLastFrame failed, fallback
    which is odd. Particularly when combined with entries like this:
    DVBTSTools] findFramee getStructureEntryFirst failed
    < 1187.900> [eDVBChannel] frame skipping failed, reverting to byte-skipping
    < 1187.901> [eDVBChannel] we are at 18446744073709027472, and we try to find the iframe here:
    That number is where it thinks it is within the file it is playing (your timeshift file). That is about the maximum size of an unsgined 64-bit integer (I doubt that you have a 16EB file). (It's actually 524143 short of the max or -524144 if signed).
    So it's totally lost about the state of your timeshift file.
    Last edited by birdman; 22-04-16 at 14:10.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Clabs (23-04-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Can you just confirm something, are you using the Zero with no signal wire and using fallback tuner?
    Thats correct Abu.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to realdannys For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (10-12-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    A USB stick is a USB stick - you can't make it an HDD. Mounting it as /media/hdd is just a Rose by Any Other Name.

That log ends with a Segmentation fault. That's a crash to me (but no crash log).

If I pause live TV, wait 30s, start playing and then move back it all works. That's of little help to you, but it doe smean that I can see what a "working" log looks like.

Your logs contains a lot of these:
    which is odd. Particularly when combined with entries like this:
    That number is where it thinks it is within the file it is playing (your timeshift file). That is about the maximum size of an unsgined 64-bit integer (I doubt that you have a 16EB file). (It's actually 524143 short of the max or -524144 if signed).
    So it's totally lost about the state of your timeshift file.
    Thanks Birdman, some useful input on things there. I am yes aware naming the USB stick as /media/hdd doesn't make it behave like a hard disk - I'm laying out all the ways its been mounted, just in case someone comes along with the daft suggestion "try it mounted as /media/hdd" which was probably coming next.

What you describe is exactly what i'm trying to do and its obviously not working as you can see - but yeah no actual crash log generated (and no error messages) so this is all from debug. The question now is why is it losing the state of the timeshift file and what is causing that to happen (and who can we report that to, to actually fix? Because it obviously shouldn't be doing that, and it is for some reason or another)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    even without it automatically starting it should still work when you press pause, then un-pause and try to rewind
    No. If timeshift is not auto you cannot rewind to a point before when you first pressed the pause button.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    What you describe is exactly what i'm trying to do and its obviously not working as you can see - but yeah no actual crash log generated (and no error messages) so this is all from debug.
    However, from what I can see in the log it does actually crash. The GUI restarts - is that correct?

The question now is why is it losing the state of the timeshift file and what is causing that to happen (and who can we report that to, to actually fix? Because it obviously shouldn't be doing that, and it is for some reason or another)
    Well, you have reported it, but being able to fix it depends on it being reproducible by someone who can.
    I don't have a fallback tuner (and only have a vague idea of what that might be).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Just to add to this, i have a box with its own hard drive running on remote stream channel converter and i had to disable timeshift on it, trying to use timeshift caused the box to freeze and crash as though it was trying to use the hard drive of the source box, even though timeshift was set to internal mounted hard drive, providing the box with it's own feed immediately stopped this from happening.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

Clabs (23-04-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Well, I can see something which may get us closer to finding the source of the problem.

When you initiate the rewind your log shows:

< 225.322> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward -8
    < 225.323> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward setting cue skipmode to -8
    < 225.324> [eMPEGStreamInformation::getLastFrame] - no data (yet?)
    < 225.325> [eDVBTSTools] calcEnd [@ML] m_streaminfo.getLastFrame failed, fallback
    < 225.326> [eDVBChannel] skipmode ratio is -720000:90000, bitrate is -1 bit/s
    < 225.327> [eDVBChannel] resolved to: -524288 524288
    (have you changed the FF/FR settings - I go through x2, x4 before I get to x8?).
    Whereas I get
    < 274.904> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward setting cue skipmode to -2
    < 274.905> [eDVBChannel] skipmode ratio is -180000:90000, bitrate is 4130631 bit/s
    < 274.905> [eDVBChannel] resolved to: -636788 524288
    You don't seem to have a bitrate set.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Clabs (23-04-16)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast