Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Alternate remotes

Title
    Thanks

Alternate remotes

The OpenVIX source code suggests it was designed with the ability to use alternate remotes in addition to the standard Dreambox remote.

I am keen to use a different (non-programmable) IR remote so would like to use this functionality.

Once decoded I see it is a simple task to map the keys using XML.

But how does one actually define an alternate remote or if a new driver is created how is it added to the system?

Alternatively I know it should be possible to use LiRC if I accept that fact that the “power on” function will never be able to work. Since that does not actually bother me is there a precompiled version anywhere?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    because IR reception is done by the used chip and is included in the driver lirc will be your only option in my opinion. Perhaps flirc usb has better options for you.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

disneysw (17-04-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Stupid me, I always thought FLIRC was just a dumb IR receiver for use with LIRC until I read your comment.

Instead I see it can actually be pre-programmed on one machine to emulate keypresses on another machine in respose to the learnt IR commands. Given the amount of time this saves compaired to creating a one-off dev enviroment to compile LIRC for my box I will probably just buy one.

So thanks for pointing that out and saving me a lot of wasted effort!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    yes FLIRC is a nice little beast which can solve a lot of remote problems:-)

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Hey - could I use FLIRC to allow me use say an Amiko remote on my Edision box?

I literally hate the Edision remote and found the Amiko one lovely to use.