Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange internet slowdown due to uploads i dont do?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

strange internet slowdown due to uploads i dont do?

i am on the 200 package with VM for my internet using a superhub 2 AC
    last Tuesday my internet was mega slow and was worse than dial up after speaking to VM 3 times a few hours later it come back to life
    i put it down to a fault on the line VM said different and an engineer was booked for the Thursday but after it come back to life it was all good so cancelled the engineering
    so get hoe from work today and bang the internet was like it was last week so straight on the blower to VM
    to be fair the bloke was pretty good and narrowed it down to my uploads being mega over the last 6 days i had clocked 91GB in uploads as i said to him i dont upload just download the odd file here and there so after setting the router back to factory settings i have plugged in the wired devises 1 by 1 and watched the d/l and u/l on the router home page and there is no real alarm with what its coming up with when each one was plugged in same with the wireless devices
    he was unable to tell me the ip or description what may of been causing the issue due to them not being able to see this info

i have not added any new hardware in the last 3/4 weeks and not noticed any changes to my system (windows 10 64bit)
    i was a little worried it may of been my duo2 or the 2 zgemas i have running but the data coming from them is pretty small

if anyone in the know could help on this would be grateful i was looking for some kind of software where i could monitor my network ip's and see what data they was using but TBH i am totally lost looked at wiredshark but that way over my head

Title
    Thanks
    not to big on this myself, but my first thought would be possible outside network streaming?

If any of the box's had open ports then effectively anyone could scan your network and stream from your box to any number of connected devices, thus giving you massive uploads.

Not sure how you would check, but there must be a way, through your router, to see your data transfer, and then by disconnecting each machine see the source?

There are many people on here, ABU BANIAZ(?) who know how to check the box's network connection via specific telnet commands to see if anyone outside is connected.

You may not get any help re. the zgemma units, but certainly the VU setup.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Have you forwarded ports on your router to allow for streaming from receiver?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    hi thanks for the input i have no ports forwarded on my router as i am not keen on the idea and dont have any use for it TBH
    i know talk on zgemma is a no no here but wanted an open picture so peeps know what may be the issue its what i started with and now they are in the kids rooms

i have run virus and malware skan and its not pulling anything up

i can see total amount of data being used on the superhub 2 ac but not amount per device

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Do you get indication of tuners being occupied?

You can run this command, it will show you who you are connected to and who is connected to you
    Code:
    netstat -a

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

baz2011uk (09-02-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    If you login to the box and type "ifconfig" it will show you the received(RX) and transmitted(TX) bytes for each network interface since boot time.
    So you can at least check whether it is your box causing the traffic.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (09-02-16),baz2011uk (09-02-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    looks like its my xbox one turned it off around 2am and checked the usage on router page and it was pretty low after turn xbox 1 on and checking again it went crazy so started pulling Ethernet cables and refreshing the router page after pulling the xbox one cable it stopped dead plugging it in again made it go crazy again
    in the last 40 mins its d/l 16gb and uploaded 200mb

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Do you get indication of tuners being occupied?

You can run this command, it will show you who you are connected to and who is connected to you
    Code:
    netstat -a
    my tuners are defo not being used as do take note if i am watching a programme and check to see only 1 turner is lit up unless recording then it would be 2

i have just tried this but dont have a clue what i am looking at can i pm you what its pulled up?
    Last edited by baz2011uk; 09-02-16 at 03:59.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    If you login to the box and type "ifconfig" it will show you the received(RX) and transmitted(TX) bytes for each network interface since boot time.
    So you can at least check whether it is your box causing the traffic.
    thank you

what would you say is reasonable amount of bytes over 10/15 mins from start up for RX and TX

this is all new territory to me

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baz2011uk View Post
    what would you say is reasonable amount of bytes over 10/15 mins from start up for RX and TX
    Unless you routinely stream from the box yourself then it TX total should be quite low. Given that VM were reporting you as using 91GB then it would show up like a sore thumb.
    The figure should take quite some time after boot to reach 1MiB. If the box is sending the data it will be getting into the GiB range.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Unless you routinely stream from the box yourself then it TX total should be quite low. Given that VM were reporting you as using 91GB then it would show up like a sore thumb.
    The figure should take quite some time after boot to reach 1MiB. If the box is sending the data it will be getting into the GiB range.
    Thanks birdman
    i have played with streaming from 1 box to another to see how it works and thats about it
    im keeping an eye on my receivers and watch what they are doing over the next few days with the tips above
    but i have a strong feeling my xbox one had a big part to play in it still not sure why 91GB would be uploaded tho download i could understand but not upload

cheers baz

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    There is a thread somewhere on the virgin forum with reference to the SH 2 being faulty with the download/upload figures. I experienced it myself. Not sure whether it was fixed.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    If its the xbox uploading, could it be the little ones uploading/sharing gameplay videos?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley69 View Post
    There is a thread somewhere on the virgin forum with reference to the SH 2 being faulty with the download/upload figures. I experienced it myself. Not sure whether it was fixed.
    will take a look thanks for heads up

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by c9550927 View Post
    If its the xbox uploading, could it be the little ones uploading/sharing gameplay videos?
    i have 2 daughters that are not interested in playing xbox games but i did check my uploads this evening and there is no new content only old stuff i did months back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast