Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Receiver Recommendation

Title
    Thanks

Sat Receiver Recommendation

Hi Lads,

I have recently bought my first satellite receiver, a Wetek Play, and will be setting this up over the weekend when I have some spare time.

I got this at a great price so I jumped on it, however I've been reading up on Linux receivers for the last few weeks and wondering should I have bought a better sat receiver instead?

I like the look of the VU+ Solo2 and was wondering could you please tell me if the Wetek can compete with the Solo2 at all or are they miles apart?

I understand the Solo2 is 3 times the price of the Wetek, but is the Solo2 3 times as good?

I would be using the receiver for live TV and Kodi.

Are they any other receivers apart from the Solo2 I should consider? The receiver should have 2 sat tuners and possibility to add a terrestrial tuner later.

Thanks
    Last edited by Paul_B; 28-01-16 at 16:48.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ET8000, no transcoding though. I have the solo2 and is great.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to john doe For This Useful Post:

Paul_B (28-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    I have the xtrend Et8000 twin tuner.....(mix and match tuners) great box and very fast

but also consider the VU+ and mutant boxes as they are highly rated also

it depends what your needs are and how much you want to spend

I just needed a fast twin tuner box to replace a broken box I`ve had for 3 years

blue
    Last edited by bluepassat; 28-01-16 at 17:30.
    Xtrend ET8000 Latest Openvix Image
    Fire TV Stick side loaded Kodi
    Xtrend ET8500 Latest Openvix Image 4.2
    Apple TV silver Openelec
    HTPC Windows 7 Kodi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bluepassat For This Useful Post:

Paul_B (28-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    I am based in Ireland and can get a VU+ Solo2 for 270 euro but comes with no hard drive or images flashed etc.

It would be 60 euro extra for a 500GB drive and 10 euro extra for an image flashed, so I would be looking at 340 euro all in for the Solo2. Is this a good price or is there better boxes for this price?

Title
    Thanks
    have you looked at the forum sponsor?

they offer next day delivery and free image flashing

btw mine came without a hard drive

I don't have the VU+ solo so I cant advise on if its a good price??

blue
    Xtrend ET8000 Latest Openvix Image
    Fire TV Stick side loaded Kodi
    Xtrend ET8500 Latest Openvix Image 4.2
    Apple TV silver Openelec
    HTPC Windows 7 Kodi

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,892 Times in 2,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    Hi Lads,

I have recently bought my first satellite receiver, a Wetek Play, and will be setting this up over the weekend when I have some spare time.

I got this at a great price so I jumped on it, however I've been reading up on Linux receivers for the last few weeks and wondering should I have bought a better sat receiver instead?

I like the look of the VU+ Solo2 and was wondering could you please tell me if the Wetek can compete with the Solo2 at all or are they miles apart?

I understand the Solo2 is 3 times the price of the Wetek, but is the Solo2 3 times as good?

I would be using the receiver for live TV and Kodi.

Are they any other receivers apart from the Solo2 I should consider? The receiver should have 2 sat tuners and possibility to add a terrestrial tuner later.

Thanks
    Note: Wetek runs true 15.2 Kodi this is not true of the other receivers that use the OpenViX image they use a kodi plugin which is far from Kodi.

In terms of the Wetek, there have been some major updates in the last 5 days for the OE-A wetek (OpenATV) E2 image ...... and its much improved support for the sat tuners and the fallback receiver facility also now works again.
    So I would check on the latest 5.1 build.
    There is pbnigma but I much prefer the OpenATv image and its closer to Vix ...... and they are part of the OE-A, whereas pbnigma is part of nothing.
    Last edited by twol; 28-01-16 at 18:40.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Forgive my ignorance but what is OE-A?

I have the openelec version of the wetek

Title
    Thanks
    Forgive my ignorance but what is OE-A?

I have the openelec version of the wetek
    Its a common build environment used by groups,to build their own Enigma2 images
    OpenViX was one of the founding members, others are Openatv and Openxta for example.

You can run Android in flash and keep Openelec and Enigma2 images on sd cards.
    So for example you can setup the wetek just like any other E2 receiver running true Kodi alongside..... Although they cannot run at the same time.
    Last edited by twol; 28-01-16 at 20:58.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Its a common build environment used by groups,to build their own Enigma2 images
    OpenViX was one of the founding members, others are Openatv and Openxta for example.

You can run Android in flash and keep Openelec and Enigma2 images on sd cards.
    So for example you can setup the wetek just like any other E2 receiver running true Kodi alongside..... Although they cannot run at the same time.
    Cheers mate

Title
    Thanks
    Can I ask if I have Enigma2 on the wetek would this be as good as a VU solo2?

Title
    Thanks
    Can I ask if I have Enigma2 on the wetek would this be as good as a VU solo2?
    No ... But as a 2nd box in a bedroom for example ... It can provide all the channels from the other receiver
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    No ... But as a 2nd box in a bedroom for example ... It can provide all the channels from the other receiver
    How can I do that? Through my home network?

Title
    Thanks
    wetek doesnt have a card reader... and seems to be a bit lighter from a hw specs perspective.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2stein View Post
    wetek doesnt have a card reader... and seems to be a bit lighter from a hw specs perspective.
    You are correct, but doesn,t stop it being used in client mode to access on the channels on the main receiver. There is also a Oscam softcam which apparently works.
    Haven,t checked the maker of the plugin tuners but seem pretty good, haven,t noticed any issues when connected up since the kernel was changed recently.
    As a 2nd machine its not at all bad .... And you also get full Kodi .... But it is an alternative in the right aarea.
    Last edited by twol; 29-01-16 at 08:14.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    yes, agree. as a second box probably not bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast