Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Windows 10 upgrade.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Windows 10 upgrade.

Hi, Have decided to upgrade to the free windows 10 from windows7, have ssd for windows 7 and 1tb for programes/games ect. Is it possible to have a dual boot system for windows 7/10 and keeping both activated for updates. Or wiil upgading to windows 10 mean that i loose the liceince for windows 7. If any one has allready done this is there any problems running 2 os systems on on computer.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    If you upgrade you will get the free option but lose the Win7 system, although you will be able for 30 days to revert back.
    If you do a clean install you can create a dual boot system but ... not free Win10 unless you can find an old WIN7/8 install disk with the key..
    What you could try is backing up the Win7 system using say Acronis, do an upgrade to WIN 10 and allow it to register, then restore the Win7 to a separate partition...... never tried it may or may not work ... knowing Microsoft probably not!!
    Helps to have one of the dual boot packages so you can adjust entries.
    Also download the Win10 download utility from Microsoft, so you can create a USB install package .... I have "done" about 10 PC's and laptops so far with only one hardware problem (on a laptop with dual display adapters)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Blu-ray (01-01-16),nsw9154 (01-01-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi, Need advice if this will work. Partion ssd drive then clone windows 7 to new partion and then upgrade to window 10 leaving my original windows 7 on the other partion. Have a 1tb hard drive with music, photos and programes from windows 7, will windows 10 use the 1tb drive to excess my music, photos and programes or will i have to partion the 1tb between windows 7/10 and clone whats on the 1tb drive to the new partion.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    The free upgrade will upgrade your windows 7 install, you wont be able to keep both.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Blu-ray (03-01-16)

deleted
    You should be able to perform a clean install using the November Update (1511) iso and a Windows 7 key (really make sure it's a win7 key and not a Vista key on the back of the laptop and an upgraded win7 install you might have done a few years back during the transition from Vista/Win7), as for what Microsoft will do with the Win7 activation a few weeks down the road is an unknown (my guess is not much). As for dual booting the 2 OS's depends on your own capabilities...

But, you can't do anything wrong really, because.... BACKUPS, you've made BACKUPS, right remember those BACKUPS? If you wanna start from scratch, boot into an Ubuntu live CD and run the command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M, it'll sparkle as brand new, just don't do it on your SSD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted For This Useful Post:

Blu-ray (03-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu-ray View Post
    Hi, Have decided to upgrade to the free windows 10 from windows7, have ssd for windows 7 and 1tb for programes/games ect. Is it possible to have a dual boot system for windows 7/10 and keeping both activated for updates. Or wiil upgading to windows 10 mean that i loose the liceince for windows 7. If any one has allready done this is there any problems running 2 os systems on on computer.
    I decided to clone win 7 to another HD, and then upgraded to Win 10, as HD are at a reasonable price.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alec For This Useful Post:

Blu-ray (05-01-16)