Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: can i use 2 sets of picons?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

can i use 2 sets of picons?

i am currently using the MK picons and they are really good thanks MK keep up the good work i use them with the bello skin on my duo2 and it works really well
    on the smal lcd screen on the duo2 i find them to much/busy for that screen so turned that part off
    what i would like to do is just use the picons that is the channel logo on the duo2 lcd screen

can that even be done? or would i be likely to get conflicts and issues trying to do this

Title
    Thanks
    Only as a script rather than a picture icon..so it will say BBC ONE HD for example using lcd4linux you can play around till you get screen to display what you want.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Which screen are you referring to? The Duo2 has 2 of of them. For the conventional one, there is code which checks a differnt location first then the normal one. This was intrioduced for the Ultimo/Uno.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Which screen are you referring to? The Duo2 has 2 of of them. For the conventional one, there is code which checks a differnt location first then the normal one. This was intrioduced for the Ultimo/Uno.
    its for the small lcd screen on the left of the duo2 (i have turned the centre screen off as always looks hazy) if you have time could you point me in the right direct so i can have a play
    also is it likly to cause issues

5. The Following User Says Thank You to baz2011uk For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (19-12-15)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mann View Post
    Only as a script rather than a picture icon..so it will say BBC ONE HD for example using lcd4linux you can play around till you get screen to display what you want.
    thats how i have it at present just the text of the channel on the LCD screen and MK picons on the info bar

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Baz

I just tested this and it does work. Here is what I did:

I am already storing a picon pack in flash and didn't fancy story a second set there because some of these picon packs are pretty huge. So, for this test, I created a new picon folder on my HDD (/media/hdd/picon). Only store on your HDD if you have permanent timeshift enabled because otherwise your HDD will spin down and you will introduce big delays in channel changes as you wait for your HDD to spin up again. A better alternative might be a USB stick.

Download your alternate picon pack and FTP it to your newly created picon folder.

Open the LCD4LINUX plugin and scroll down to the picon location section. Press ok on your remote and browse to your new picon folder - press green to select and then make sure you save your settings before you exit the plugin.

Restart the GUI on your Duo2 and you should be good to go.

Let us know how you get along.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clabs View Post
    Baz

I just tested this and it does work. Here is what I did:

I am already storing a picon pack in flash and didn't fancy story a second set there because some of these picon packs are pretty huge. So, for this test, I created a new picon folder on my HDD (/media/hdd/picon). Only store on your HDD if you have permanent timeshift enabled because otherwise your HDD will spin down and you will introduce big delays in channel changes as you wait for your HDD to spin up again. A better alternative might be a USB stick.

Download your alternate picon pack and FTP it to your newly created picon folder.

Open the LCD4LINUX plugin and scroll down to the picon location section. Press ok on your remote and browse to your new picon folder - press green to select and then make sure you save your settings before you exit the plugin.

Restart the GUI on your Duo2 and you should be good to go.

Let us know how you get along.
    thats brilliant thank you had a feeling it may be like this but didnt want to go messing with stuff and cause issues lol will have a little play with it

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    No worries Baz - hope it works for you but do shout if you get stuck.

So far as the centre (VFD) display looking cloudy - it has always been a gripe with this receiver and pretty poor for a top end box like this - always very poor compared to the lovely clear VFD on the Ultimo. The display is actually green but Vu+ put a poor plastic filter lens over the display in an effort to make it look white.

I removed the filter from mine and the display is green - but is nice and clear.

Cheers, Mark

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Cheers Mark will play with the piccons over xmas when i am off will try it on USB first as not a lover of timeshift i did read about the display being fuzzy due to the plastic before i purchasing my duo2 in November so decided to turn it off i can work with green but is the filter behind the plastic easy to remove? or is the filter the plastic itself i dont mind removing a filer inside but dont want the front part taken off as would look odd like its been broken if you know what i mean
    or if you could grab a quick photo if poss that would be even better

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Baz

Yes - probably sensible to experiment with a USB first and actually, there is no harm in keeping them stored on that permanently once you get it working. You could find a nice compact USB stick and have that hidden away at the back so as to keep the front panel looking clean.

So far as the filter is concerned, it is just thin sliver of plastic film that is stuck over the front of the VFD display and NOT the plastic on the front panel. So - the only difference you notice is that the display is green - and clear. The only reason I found this out is that the VFD on mine started to look patchy in a couple of places so that, combined with the overall fuzziness of the display was driving me nuts. It is a fairly simple job to carefully unclip the front panel, release the VFD display and then gently peel the film off. On mine, the patchiness was caused by the adhesive on the plastic filter drying out in places.

The only thing I would say is that my receiver was already out of warranty and you might want to think about that as yours is still in warranty.

If you are still interested then I am pretty sure I took some pics when I removed the film in mine but I will need to go and d=search through my phone to see if I can find them.

Cheers, Mark

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    cheers Mark would defo use a compact USB for it and leave it un just need to remember to remove on flash when it needs doing good point about warranty tho totally forgot about that but seeing as this is all pretty new to me i may hold off for a few months anyway

cheers Baz