Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Tech Newbie - in a whole new world!!

Title
    Thanks

Tech Newbie - in a whole new world!!

Hi All

This is my first post of probably many!!

I am considering changing sky subscription services and want to learn about all think satellite.

I am sure you guys can help out and i will be asking some silly basic questions which i appologise for in advance.

Thanks

Chris

Title
    Thanks
    Oh my good lord, this forum is MASSIVE!! so much information my head is going to explode!! where is best to start?

I am looking for a satellite reciever, dual input so i can record, this is my first venture into this world after my dad bought a SV6 box with a gift and he loves it, although its to basic to pull me from my sky subscription so i was hoping there would be better equipment and services out there. I dont want to spend a fortune but i am willing to pay to get teh right equipment for the money after all i am paying in excess of £60 a month for something i barely use!!

Thanks in advance

Chris

Title
    Thanks
    I was in the same boat Chris, I settled for an xtrend 8000 box, have just ordered the xtrend 9500 box as well to replace my other sky hd box because I have cancelled this now.
    Last edited by Sparky01; 30-11-15 at 21:48. Reason: Typo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparky01 For This Useful Post:

graymattor (30-11-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Sparky01

Thanks for your post, may i ask what made you go for the Xtrend 8000 and 9500? i must admit i wouldnt know how to spec what machine i would need/whats best for the money, etc! where did you find your best information? i suppose once you find the equipment you want the rest can fall in to place

Thanks again

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Lets just clear one thing up first before you go any further with this thread, you will not get any help here with stealing access to pay tv channels, if thats what your after.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    The xtrend was recommend to me by a few users of the forum, I wanted the same functions as a sky +hd box, I.e internal hard disk for pause and record. Two turners so I can record a different channels the box was cheaper then the others that had the same spec, I am just waiting on the et9500 to be delivered, but looking at it , it will also do the job as I am replacing my multi room had boxs, moving away from sky completely.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    Lets just clear one thing up first before you go any further with this thread, you will not get any help here with stealing access to pay tv channels, if thats what your after.
    Hi Larry, no not at all, that is not what i am after doing, i am just looking at cutting my monthly outgoings for something i dont use very often for something that is cheaper that i will probably still not use very often. i certaily do not want anything for free (well advice maybe) but certainly not paid channels, i want nothing illegal! the reason i do not use it much is we mainly box set binge so we use netflix and amazon prime a hell of a lot or on demand, the days of us watching a program when its on is almost dead or extremely rare so its a bit of a waste for me to be paying so much, hence seeking an alternative. I hope that cleared things up.

My dad has only recenlt bought an S-V6 box and he loves it but it was a little to basic for me, if i do watch tv i like the program guide, record, etc.. so that has what has lead me to this forum to learn more about these satellite recievers.

I certainly do not want to offend anyone in doing so.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky01 View Post
    The xtrend was recommend to me by a few users of the forum, I wanted the same functions as a sky +hd box, I.e internal hard disk for pause and record. Two turners so I can record a different channels the box was cheaper then the others that had the same spec, I am just waiting on the et9500 to be delivered, but looking at it , it will also do the job as I am replacing my multi room had boxs, moving away from sky completely.
    Sounds exaclty what i am trying to do, do you have any pointers or links to threads on this forum when your questions have been answered so i am not boring people with teh same questions, thanks in advance

Title
    Thanks
    The first thing is to think about what you want to do, and what you need.
    I would recommend the xtrend (based on price and spec) you will also need hdd installed (because I have a few around the house I tend to fit them myself.
    From my limited knowledge I would also order from WOS because the images are excellent and pre defined plug in are good, the cross epg works well and also pip plug in on 55" tv is great for splitting the screen to watch 2 football matches. Also there is a blue-hd skin which when you go into the program menu you might not tell the difference to the menu you have now on sky.

Title
    Thanks
    I must add the setup notes on this forum is excellent, it took some time but the step by step info was great.