Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: 2 or 1 dish setup?

Title
    Thanks

2 or 1 dish setup?

i currently have a motorised dish using USALS with a single LNB connected to my solo2 in the living room.
    i have a sky dish with dual LNB connected to my vu+ uno (single tuner) in my bedroom.
    there is a dish installer coming today to fit a quad LNB to the motorised dish, i could ask him to perform other work if needed.

how can i get the best out of setting all this up properly?
    we mainly watch sky uk on the solo2 but i like to watch some stuff on other satellites.
    at the moment i have no choice but to watch sly uk in the bedroom as it's pointed at 28.2 E

would it possible to have a feed (or even two) from the motorised dish to the solo2 and a feed to the uno so i can watch other sats in the bedroom while having sky uk on the solo2 downstairs?
    do i need to use the sky dish at all?

basically i'd like to have the option of watching all satellites upstairs or down without without disturbing the other viewer.

my best guess is to use a feed from the sky dish to to a tuner on the solo2 and a feed from the motor dish to the other tuner on the solo2, then a feed from the motor to the uno in the bedroom.

any recommendations?
    Last edited by roy0110; 12-09-15 at 12:45.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    For the Uno just set up single feed direct to your 28E dish. For other satellites use RCSC or tuner server to the Solo2.

For the Solo2, tuner A goes direct to the 28E dish. Tuner B goes to a DiSEqC switch. Port A of the switch goes to 28E dish. Port B goes to motorised dish.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    For the Uno just set up single feed direct to your 28E dish. For other satellites use RCSC or tuner server to the Solo2.

For the Solo2, tuner A goes direct to the 28E dish. Tuner B goes to a DiSEqC switch. Port A of the switch goes to 28E dish. Port B goes to motorised dish.
    thanks for your reply Huevos,
    i have 1 or 2 questions about your response.
    if i have a single feed from the 23.2E dish to the uno and use RCSC, when i want to view a 19.2E on the uno will the dish not move ...thus spoiling the viewing of whoever might be watching 28.2E downstairs on the solo2?

also, where you say
    what does "Tuner B goes to a DISEqC switch" mean?
    is that simply the feed from the motorised dish?
    and port A & port B, are they settings i should access through the receiver interface?

sorry for sounding so dumb, but if i connect everything up how i think it should be and then can't view properly i would think there could be a million things wrong with how i set it up and would take weeks to work through all the possible permutations to get things right.

also, the uno upstairs connects wirelessly via a dongle, might that be an issue with RCSS?
    Last edited by roy0110; 12-09-15 at 20:35.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    The Uno requests the channel from the Solo2. The Solo2 supplies the stream if the tuner is available. If the tuner with the motorised dish is already in use the Solo2 will not release it and viewing from the Uno will be impossible.

DiSEqC switch is to switch between LNBs. In your setup you have a fixed dish on 28E so you do not want to move the motorised dish to zap to a channel on 28E. So DiSEqC switch allows tuner be to select 28E dish for 28E channels and the motorised dish for the rest.

And completely forget the idea of a quad LNB on a motorised dish, especially if you are considering using it on a second box.

Wireless connection could be a problem. All depends on the proximity of the nearest wireless access point. Personally I would always use hard-wired.
    Last edited by Huevos; 12-09-15 at 20:56.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    would it not be an option to have the fixed dish (28.2E) connected to tuner A on the solo2, the motor dish connected to tuner B and utilise both tuners on the solo2 when required?
    then when whoever is watching the solo2 only needs to view 28.2E channels on tuner A, the viewer in the other room (with the uno) can utilise the motor dish?
    i have three cables coming from the motor dish and two from the fixed dish.
    Last edited by roy0110; 13-09-15 at 10:44.

Title
    Thanks
    any suggestions people?