Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What TV to buy :confused:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks

What TV to buy :confused:

Hi folks,

I've been thinking of buying a new TV but man there is a lot of choice out there currently

Sony Android looks interesting but reviews so far been pretty poor from an Android perspective.. The idea of Kodi running directly on the TV is interesting to me but very few good reports on this currently..

Samsung look steady enough without blowing your mind...

LG look very strong currently with their webOS 2.0 getting great reviews!

What I'm thinking is a Smart TV roughly around the 50" mark and swaying towards LG currently..

What I'm not sure about is OLED, 4K, 3D etc..

So, what you guys got and what are the positives/negatives for what you got?

Cheers,
    mcquaim
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Depends on your bank account and your family (probably your own) requirements ... and how important a good picture is to you

For an excellent picture there is only one player offering a Plasma replacement at the moment and that is LG with their 4K UHD OLED's but not cheap... although coming down in price. With Sony/Panasonic exiting the Plasma picture business due to Samsung price dumping, and Samsung not currently able to get OLED to work .... it's LG .
    All the other offerings at the moment are just a compromise to get the best out of the components that they have.

Having said that, I am sitting on my Panny Plasmas for the time being until standards are finally agreed and the prices are down.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Cheers for the reply!

Picture quality is high on the agenda alright and budget is yet to be decided () but I will pay a decent price if the TV is rite...

From doing a good bit of reading a lot of people are rubbishing OLED unless you go big on the screen size and even then some are saying they are not great..

I think it's interesting that a lot of the very latest releases are steering clear of OLED for flat panel?
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcquaim View Post
    Cheers for the reply!

Picture quality is high on the agenda alright and budget is yet to be decided () but I will pay a decent price if the TV is rite...

From doing a good bit of reading a lot of people are rubbishing OLED unless you go big on the screen size and even then some are saying they are not great..

I think it's interesting that a lot of the very latest releases are steering clear of OLED for flat panel?
    Its true that OLED's are really for the larger screen sizes - my 50 & 55 inch Panny Plasma's were big when I bought them, but even my wife thinks they are reasonable size now
    The knocking is because they (especially Samsung - who spend more on marketing than anybody in the business) cannot get the yields and cannot deliver it ...however today at IFA 2015 Panasonic have just announced their first OLED TV named 65CZ950. The 65” OLED TV will offer 4K, HDR (high dynamic range), and advanced picture processing.

The LG has a stunning picture, but you still need good availability of programs to watch at this standard.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    A few remarks:
    1- OLED is the future. For now longevity is far too short.
    2- 4K allows you to sit at 5 inches from your screen (providing you watch 4K contents). Are you planning to do that?
    3- 3D is the past. Not any manufacturer has come up with a real good system, and there's hardly any contents.
    4- SMART-TV is actually asking for being out-of-date. No TV-manufacturer really goes on updating the sysyem for as long as you'll be using the TV. A (cheap) add-on is the answer for remaining up-to-date (or to buy a new cheap add-on when that doesn't work).
    Android isn't good (because it has never been designed for a TV), but Android TV seems to be a lot better. I thin the first TV's running that will be released shortly. But again: is it worth it?
    5- Picture quality is vital. That's what you buy a TV for.
    5- Ambilight can be an interesting option (Philips TV or add-on driven by your Enigma-box). I really love it.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks guys!

I think if OLED is the future and in order for them to work properly you need to have a 55"+ screen then I'd need a new sittingroom too lol..

What do you mean by point 2 Rob, not sure I understand what you mean?

I agree that 3D is pretty much dead, in its current state anyway so don't mind not having it.. Having 4k will probably future proof the TV for a bit longer perhaps.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    Thanks
    Its amazing how quickly your brain adapts to a larger screen ... but then again my son is a gamer and always has had the largest screen he can get his hands on (and afford)!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcquaim View Post
    What do you mean by point 2 Rob, not sure I understand what you mean?
    In the old days, and still applicable to SD, there is a minimum distance you should sit from the screen (related to the screen size) in order not to see the disturbances that result from the low resolution.

HD has changed that: the minimum distance has decreased dramatically, as the picture quality is much higher. In other words: you can sit much closer to the screen (or have a much larger screen in the same living ), without seeing any disturbances.

With 4k you have the same story again: as long as you playback real 4K contents, you can again sit much closer to the screen, even to a few inches (or have a much larger screen in the same living).
    In reality 4K has no added value for any (normal) living-room.

PS: The above has nothing to do with the 4K codec (h265).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15),Mr. Mister (02-09-15)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ah but there is more than one 4k codec, Google and YouTube have decided to use VP9 which only this years tech from Samsung supports, my advice if you are in the market for a premium home TV set is wait till the final HDR standards have been decided then get a 4k oled that supports them all including Dolby Vision and can achieve DCI3 P9 colour space, then spend your money.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I guess if there is lots still to be ironed out in regards 4k then rather than fork out premium prices just yet then perhaps I need to just get a bargain stop-gap for the time being...

I might change my search until then so...
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    Thanks
    Yep, I tend to agree, everybody wants you to buy now (obviously for their good ) but if they could all agree to standardise now, then we could be happy. ... But unfortunately companies don't work that way, they would prefer the industry to agree with their standard only..... Takes time, and unfortunately unhappy customers ...but who cares about customers
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15)

deleted
    I'm still running an old beast called Samsung LE46A956, but the next one will be OLED + 4K. Now lets hope they keep the screen sizes under 100", otherwise mr Beamer gets jealous.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    I needed a new tv last xmas (my Panny Plasma went bang the week before xmas), it had 12 days left of it's 5yr warranty, so it went off for repair and they told me it would be back before xmas.

Needless to say it wasn't so boxing day I went out and bought a 48" Samsung 1080p lcd, that had great reviews.

I was VERY disappointed with the picture quality, compared to my plasma it was sh1te unless sat slap bang in the middle of the screen, then it was ok, but black was grey and it suffered with motion really bad, the picture quality was no better than my 7.5yr old Sony ccfl lcd tv (infact the sony is better because it doesn't suffer with motion judder and doesn't wash the colours out if you sit off centre).

So I returned it, and bought a Samsung 48" UHD instead, thinking that if I spent proper money on a top spec tv, then I would be happy.

Again the colours washed out if I moved away from centre of the screen, and on normal 1080p content the picture was nice, but still not a patch on the Panny Plasma. On 4k stuff (Amazon Prime and demo clips) it looked fantastic, but it didn't impress me enough to keep it, so it was also returned.

2 weeks later I was given the bad news, that my Plasma was beyond repair, so Panasonic replaced it with a brand new lcd tv (which also has a sh1te picture).

So I started looking at OLED, the black on them is better than my Panny Plasma could do, and the viewing angle is crazy, you can sit right at the side of the tv, to the point that you can only just see the screen itself and the picture is still crystal clear.

But for the time being, i'm going to wait it out with this Panny LCD, once there are defined 4k standards then I will move to OLED (it's pointless putting £1800 - £3000 into a highend tv set at the moment imo).

If this Panny were to die tomorrow, I would opt for 1 of the cheaper 4k lcd's (probably from LG) as a stop gap.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ev0 For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Why the 4k?

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Why the 4k?
    There isn't a huge amount in it pricewise at the moment with the LCD's (infact there seems to be less and less 1080p models available now anyway).

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ev0 For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (02-09-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast