Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what boxs are as good or better than zgemma 2s

Title
    Thanks

what boxs are as good or better than zgemma 2s

hello all

im struggling too get my hands on the zgemma 2s as the place i normaly buy from keeps saying out of stock ...!

what is a good dual tunner alternative for the same money and works good with vix

thanks all for your time ...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    zgemma are clone receivers and therefore not supported here. try the sponsor website and you will get a much better box for a bit money - you may want to look at this http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...gma-2-Linux-HD

for £159 et8000, which is a very good box for price, the more you pay the better it gets

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I would go for the Vu+ Solo2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

jamesjay (09-08-15)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    I would go for the Vu+ Solo2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its a from me.

I got one from the sponsor about 2 weeks ago great receiver if you don't need a cable or terrestrial tuner.
    Last edited by jamesjay; 09-08-15 at 19:43. Reason: spelling mistake.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    zgemma are clone receivers and therefore not supported here. try the sponsor website and you will get a much better box for a bit money - you may want to look at this http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...gma-2-Linux-HD

for £159 et8000, which is a very good box for price, the more you pay the better it gets
    I've done quite a bit of reading, from what I understand the cloud ibox was a clone of the xpeed, is that correct?

I was just wondering what is it specifically that makes a box a clone? Obviously they don't look the same/have the same name, is it something to do with the hardware? Or is it the fact that they patch the vix image?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,259 Posts
    There are 2 types of clones. One is a copy of the original which people try to sell as original equipment. And one is a copy that is sold under a different brand name.

Both are built using stolen designs, usually from substandard parts, and architecture that may not be compatible with future firmware and drivers, which is why we do not support them here.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.

I understand the first scenario (this is the easier of the two to get your head around). Obviously the first situation is a trademark infringement...illegal, I get that.

Hopefully you can help me with the second scenario as at the moment I can't get my head around it. Obviously they're not trying to sell it under the brand name so there's no trademark infringement and unless the designs are patented, are they not allowed to copy the design and sell it under a different brand?

I completely understand your point about substandard parts, but as they're using a different brand name, this doesn't affect the brand. I also understand that patching images infringes on the trademark of the image, obviously illegal but surely that doesn't make the box a clone?

I've read a lot about this, trying to get my head around it. Please excuse my ignorance if I'm missing something obvious, but a lot of people claim the boxes are illegal and I can't seem to work out why.

Thanks again

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    For a start apart from the design being stolen (I dont know why you dont understand that it is illegal to do so) the boxes are not tested and approved to be sold in the EU (or anywhere else). They are generally shoddy and a fire hazard. The software that runs on them is also generally stolen. Also forget aftersales, warranties etc on these crap. Save your money and buy something decent from a supplier that stands over what they sell.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    In short.. Zgemma are the shite on your shoe.. !!!!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks again for the replies. Let me just clarify, I'm not contemplating buying one, I'm just trying to understand why they are considered clones.

I understand that it's illegal to steal the design, in a sense that if you directly copy a circuit board, then you breach intellectual property (if the design's copyrighted). However reverse engineering a circuit board to perform the same tack isn't illegal, unless the function is patent protected.

That's why I asked if its hardware related, do you open one of these up and they are exactly the same as some other receiver inside?

All of your other points, I would agree are unethical and don't produce a good product, but they also don't make the product a clone.

It seems that 'clone' is just thrown around as a description of what is perceived as a sub standard product? Unless like I said, it is literally the same board inside?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Simply the manufacturers of the zgemma (who are the same manufacturers of the cloud I box branded clones) maintain that the zgemma is not a clone but 100 percent their own work, A claim that i strongly refute.

To produce a 100 percent original e2 based receiver takes hundreds of thousands of pounds minimum in both hardware / software development and licences etc. Zgemma have none of these, the simply used their existing factories already producing clones to make these new boxes and claim them to be genuine, supported boxes.

The zgemma came onto the market instantly from no where with the manufacturers stating that they were no longer making clones but here is their new box.

They are generally made from poor / inferior parts and have not been certified with any kind of safety tests nor carry any form of legally binding warranty and they tend to develop serious hardware failures on a frighteningly regular basis. They are a very real risk to life and property (just check out the recent rash of cloned hoverboards in the news for examples of poor Chinese clone electronics and their safety ratings for proof of that)

yes they have official support from ATV and a few other well known clone supporters but thats where it ends, no one else supports these boxes regardless of the images you find out there or the claims you see on the various zgemma support forums.

No one can stop you from purchasing one of these boxes but if you do you take the risk of killing your family in your own hands and you will never get any kind of support for such boxes here and the same applies to ALL cloned / counterfeit receivers regardless of who makes them.
    Last edited by Larry-G; 11-12-15 at 14:33.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (11-12-15),Mr. Mister (11-12-15)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    This is a exact quote from one of the so called official zgemma forums where a user tried to tell others of the lengths to which the manufacturers of these boxes will go to to save a few quid.

I have recently ordered a Zgemma Star H2 direct from the manufacturer and have discovered that the 13A plug and fuse are both counterfeit and very dangerous. The fuse does not contain silica and could explode if it was ever to blow. In this case however, the fuse carrier is not even connected inside the 13A plug so the fuse will never blow - even if you remove the fuse completely, the unit will still be live. In addition the earth pin (which admittedly isn't used as it is a double insulated power supply) is partially insulated. Genuine BS1363 plugs should never have a partially insulated pin, only the shorter two pins should be partially insulated. The pins are also incorrectly sized.

In the UK, socket outlets are usually on a 32A ring final circuit (ring main) and in the event of a fault within the Zgemma power supply, the 0.75mm conductors within this cable will catch fire long before the circuit disconnects at the DB (fuse board).

I would urge all zgemma owners to check, and if need be replace, the 13A plug to C7 (figure of 8) mains cable on their box for a genuine and safe replacement cable to avoid the risk of fire and/or loss of life.

I am happy to assist anyone who needs assistance in checking their cable or sourcing a suitable replacement.

I can confirm I have made the manufacturer aware (Shenzhen Air Digital Technology Co., Ltd) and am currently awaiting a further response. I will update this thread accordingly if and when I receive further communication from them.

Martin.

If they cant even supply a real and safe power lead think of what other corners they are cutting along they way.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Ok thanks for the all the info

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    I would have thought that Trading Standards would block the sale of these products if they are breaking laws?
    Certainly if they have safety issues like the plugs, they are not saleable?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast