Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dish motor..hmmm???

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    Get longer T and K brackets and the dish won't run into the wall. 24 inch T and K brackets are pretty common. If you put the motor above the gutter on a pole it will be difficult/ impossible to fine adjust.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Get longer T and K brackets and the dish won't run into the wall. 24 inch T and K brackets are pretty common. If you put the motor above the gutter on a pole it will be difficult/ impossible to fine adjust.

Totally agree with Huevos

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YzMENTALzY View Post
    Found a 48.3mm pole would that be good enough or does it have to be exactly 2inch? 48mm is just under 2inch to be fair?
    That will be absolutly fine as long as its steel and more than 3mm thick

As others have said a bit of scaffolding pipe is excellent

Also will 900mm length be enough if i want dish to be above the guttering so it can turn freely without hitting the wall?
    The longer the pole the thicker the metal needs to be.

The best way to mount a motor is between the T & K brackets. I personally us 2 18" brackets with about a 50cm pole with the motor halfway between the 2 brackets this gives my 1.1m dish plenty of room to move ( wall is south facing anyway) and even in the strongest winds over the last couple of years dish hasn't moved out of position in the slightest just make sure everything is level and as tightly done up as possible

Title
    Thanks
    Great you guys are so knowledgable when it comes to these things im soo stupid i was looking at worse case Scenario

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    VU+ Solo2 with 1TB HDD, Running Latest OpenVix with 1M Motorised dish Running Smooth as a babies Bottom

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper1974 View Post
    That will be absolutly fine as long as its steel and more than 3mm thick

As others have said a bit of scaffolding pipe is excellent

The longer the pole the thicker the metal needs to be.

The best way to mount a motor is between the T & K brackets. I personally us 2 18" brackets with about a 50cm pole with the motor halfway between the 2 brackets this gives my 1.1m dish plenty of room to move ( wall is south facing anyway) and even in the strongest winds over the last couple of years dish hasn't moved out of position in the slightest just make sure everything is level and as tightly done up as possible
    You see the problem with mine is that my wall is facing east where i want the dish does that make any difference

VU+ Solo2 with 1TB HDD, Running Latest OpenVix with 1M Motorised dish Running Smooth as a babies Bottom

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry i meant my dish points south east

Title
    Thanks
    My wall faces east north east apparently

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Assuming ENE, that is an azimuth of 67.5 degrees. Assuming you're in the UK (confirm please), you may be able to turn the dish 90 degrees East (left) or 90 degrees West (right) before the house wall obstructs the view. Most motors will only turn 60 - 70 degrees East or West in any case. You are not in a good spot to align the dish due South (180 degrees) which is the normal setup. You could possibly get 150ish degrees by turning the motor and mount all the way to the right on initial setup. You really need to get to a South facing wall for mounting. Even with careful tweaking, on the current position you are only going to get satellites to the East of your location. If in the UK, then maybe from 21E to 60E.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

YzMENTALzY (12-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Yes im in UK ...i thought so... Thanks so much for your input im in ENE as my compass on my phone says say if i put dish higher than my wall would that help? I ordered everything which worked out alot cheaper than the motorised packs...

The problem is if i put it on a south sided wall then i cant get 28.2E to work because even then my wall will obstruct it... My plan is to get it higher than the wall near the roof so it can freely move the 160 degrees or so
    Last edited by YzMENTALzY; 12-08-15 at 00:39.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes im in UK ...i thought so... Thanks so much for your input im in ENE as my compass on my phone says say if i put dish higher than my wall would that help? I ordered everything which worked out alot cheaper than the motorised packs...

The problem is if i put it on a south sided wall then i cant get 28.2E to work because even then my wall will obstruct it... My plan is to get it higher than the wall near the roof so it can freely move the 160 degrees or so
    With south facing wall i can easily turn dish from 42E to 45W without it getting near my wall.

If your on a ENE wall then i don't think you will get ANY W satellites without going above the roof now there's a few thing to consider when going above the roof:

1) Fixing dish up will be more trouble some as will any maintenance
    2) The Wind load on the dish for example a 50mph wind on a 1M dish can easily exert over a Tonne of pressure on the pole and fixings
    3) The Higher up the pole above the fixings the wind load will multiply VERY VERY quickly

So my Advice to you would be to

1) Make sure you buy a Good quality dish as the last thing you want after paying out all your hard earned money is the dish to buckle because it was a cheap dish and poorly made
    2) Make sure you have some Very strong quality Fixings holding a Thick and Hefty Galvanized steel Pole.
    3) Get a proper fully insured fitter in to do the installation as the last thing you need is something going wrong the dish blowing down and damaging someones property or worse it hitting someone as if its not fitted by a professional i doubt you will get any insurance to EVER pay out. (let alone the damage to your own property). Exactly why a professional installation is not cheap and can run into the £££'s

Better still get some decent stand off T&K brackets (18" or 24") and mount it to a south facing wall or if you have a south facing garden look to see if you have a clear view from your garden and pole mount it into the ground

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks i have a 1m maxx digital dish which is quite sturdy and i have spoken to a local fitter who has been doing it for 15+ years said i can get W channels so i guess im gonna have to see

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks i have a 1m maxx digital dish which is quite sturdy and i have spoken to a local fitter who has been doing it for 15+ years said i can get W channels so i guess im gonna have to see

Dish is a reasonable make so no problems with that

You will get west channels if going above the gutter not a problem would only be if you were mounting below you would have difficulties.

Local fitter with that much experience will certainly know what his doing so your be fine was only if you were doing a DIY job that you would have had more difficulties

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    and i have spoken to a local fitter who has been doing it for 15+ years said i can get W channels so i guess im gonna have to see
    Never believe a local installer...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Never believe a local installer...
    Very cynical although very true Anybody can say they have been doing anything for any amount of time always best to use someone who you know or you can at least validate all reputable installers should be CAI registered which is easily checkable

Title
    Thanks
    So above the gutter it is eh?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast