Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dish motor..hmmm???

Title
    Thanks

Dish motor..hmmm???

Ok guys need some help please... As most of you know i have a Vu+Solo2 running sky and i am very bored with the channel selection on it so i gotmyself a 1M dish and would like to have a motorised setup which Motor would you say is the best bearing in mind im a total Noob at this... I have learnt alot and got immense help from the guys here at WoS so thanks for that...

Also would like to know what you guys think of the Alsat Supreme, any good? I have seen at sponsors site and im really edging towards it but need some help and is there anything else i would need for the setup other than a Steel wall mount and Motor? I have got everything seperate as it was working out cheaper for me the dish is a 1m.

Last question what satellites can i get from my area in south east england i have tried sites but couldnt understand at all so some light shed on this matter would be great..

Again guys thanks very much

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Personally i have a "Jack Arm" powering my dish as it runs on its own power and does not use the coax for power.

This means running a 4 core wire through to the motor into a "V box" but is not hard to do if you have something about you. The v box then stores all your positions up to 99.

The V box is about £50.

Or you can use a "usals" setup which uses the coax for power.

Also the Jack arm is very stable when it comes to strong winds!

As for Sats i would say you could pretty much pick everything up from 53e to 30w Probably even Nilesat 7w in the South east with a 1m dish.
    VU+ DUO2 Always Current Vix Build Gibertini 1.2m Motorised

3. The Following User Says Thank You to djz46 For This Useful Post:

YzMENTALzY (09-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that but i have heard the the Alsat supreme is really good plus the sponsor sells it which if anything goes wrong then i can always get it fixed do you know much about them? As for satellites thanks for that i was ripping my hair out thinking i wont get much channels is there a way i can find out?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YzMENTALzY View Post
    Thanks for that but i have heard the the Alsat supreme is really good plus the sponsor sells it which if anything goes wrong then i can always get it fixed do you know much about them? As for satellites thanks for that i was ripping my hair out thinking i wont get much channels is there a way i can find out?
    Ive got the alsat Supreme for my 1.1m dish and its a very very good motor im in north kent in the southeast of england and i can get nearly all sats from 42E to 30W can get some 7W transponders with SNR of around 55-60% but not many

Motor out the box had a little play in it when i first set it up but theres a white sticker on the side that if you peel back has a large hex nut and just had to tighten that a tiny 5th of a turn and now its perfect

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jasper1974 For This Useful Post:

YzMENTALzY (09-08-15)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    Superior and Supreme are both good, double bearing motors.

A conventional wall mount (L-bracket) is no good for a motor as it can't be adjusted. You need T and K mounts.

And if you haven't got a proper meter (spectrum analyser) and are not technically minded you are going to need to factor in an installer to get it set up properly.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

YzMENTALzY (09-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks guys you guys are life savers any chance of getting Bien Sports? I wanna subscribe to that.... is a T-Mount or K Mount necessary or can i use a L Mount?

Title
    Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you know anyone who can make you a bracket then your on a winner.

If you go to http://en.kingofsat.net/satellites.php that gives you a list of all the Sats also with updated transpnders everyday.

When setting your dish up you need the azimuth position and elevation set correctly. http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...calculator-v2/

Then aim for 0.8w Thor. As this sat is at the "top of the arc" so to speak once you get that locked on you should not be far off the rest.

I would think you would get 7w nilesat as i said which has bein sports on.
    Last edited by djz46; 09-08-15 at 12:22.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to djz46 For This Useful Post:

YzMENTALzY (09-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YzMENTALzY View Post
    No .

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You will need a official box for the bein sports and on 7w and even on my 1.1m Dish i cant get the frequencies where i am and i have a nice clear view of horizon and am in the north kent in SE England think even i would need 1.5m minimum to get it as there on the lower frequencies which are a lot harder to get on the beam there on
    Last edited by jasper1974; 09-08-15 at 13:34.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Superior and Supreme are both good, double bearing motors.

A conventional wall mount (L-bracket) is no good for a motor as it can't be adjusted. You need T and K mounts.

And if you haven't got a proper meter (spectrum analyser) and are not technically minded you are going to need to factor in an installer to get it set up properly.
    Agree you need to use a decent T&K Bracket with a good steel pole dont use aluminum as they have a tendency to bend/crumple as that would be your weak spot in high winds.

Ive set up 5 motorized dishes and not once have i used a sat meter or spectrum analyzer just as on all of them can see the tv from where ive installed them and so used the meter on the boxes to find signal and got them all perfectly aligned so it can be done without just might be a bit more time consuming

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper1974 View Post
    Ive set up 5 motorized dishes and not once have i used a sat meter or spectrum analyzer
    I do it for a living, and can't imagine setting up a dish without a meter. It would be difficult to explain to customers that I don't have the correct equipment to do the job so need to charge them for 5 times the labour.

Also without a spectrum you can only adjust once you have signal lock. With a spectrum you can see a satellite and recognize it without signal lock.
    Last edited by Huevos; 09-08-15 at 14:30.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    As Jasper says you need a good solid pole with good u bolts (preferably stainless) I used some steam pipe and made my own bracket.

Make sure it is completely level when bolting to the wall too as this will save a lot of headaches.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    I do it for a living, and can't imagine setting up a dish without a meter. It would be difficult to explain to customers that I don't have the correct equipment to do the job so need to charge them for 5 times the labour.

Also without a spectrum you can only adjust once you have signal lock. With a spectrum you can see a satellite and recognize it without signal lock.
    I never used a meter at all and found Sats without a problem.

I use a free app called dmsatfinder it links to the box from your phone and gives the exact reading what is on the receiver snr and agc and even channel name! so you can fine tune. (obviously it has to be wi-fi enabled)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast