Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jump the line and get Windows 10 right now

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    Huh? I'm running Ubuntu 15.04 and back up weekly to an external USB 3.0 drive. 110 - 120 MB/s
    Ubuntu doesn't seem to like Asus motherboard's will not pick up USB 3.0 on my desktop or laptop... dead as a brick usb 3.0 drives only works on the USB 2.0 ... seems to be a long running saga on the Ubuntu forums, where they seem to have regressed some kernel changes.
    lsusb command shows it's there ... and I run a multi-boot Win10/12.04/15.05 system .... 12.04 and Win10 are quite happy with the USB 3.0 ports
    Would welcome any ideas
    Apart from that the clean 15.04 installed system seems fine and is happily build an image at the moment ...... crossed fingers.
    Upgrading from 14.04 -> 14.10 > 15.04 completely screwed my desktop system, had to restore!!
    Last edited by twol; 13-08-15 at 13:41.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    I'm using an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP Socket 1155 motherboard with a core i3-3220 processor. I had 14.02 and upgraded through 14.10 and 15.04 without any real issues apart from a problem with the ethernet adapter where I had to revert to an older driver for stability.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    I'm using an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP Socket 1155 motherboard with a core i3-3220 processor. I had 14.02 and upgraded through 14.10 and 15.04 without any real issues apart from a problem with the ethernet adapter where I had to revert to an older driver for stability.
    I will probabyl clean install 15.04 over my 14.04 system and see if that works better.... Fortunately the home folder is on a separate disk, so should be able to keep all the important stuff... With the laptop looks like I will just haveto force usb 2.0 mode in the bios. I learn more each day about Linux
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Now if only Ubuntu could manage to support USB 3.0 I would possible agree, but typically 1 step forward 2 steps backwards .. even Microsoft manages to handle device support well.
    Ubuntu 12.04 OK, 14.04 sometimes, 15.04 what is USB 3.0?????
    I don't think USB3.0 was on the top of his priority list, he seemed to be more concerned about the colors of his windows borders.

But I agree with you, if Linux likes your system, all is fine and dandy, BUT if it doesn't... oooh boy the joy you'll experience , luckily my systems don't fight too often with it.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ocram View Post
    But I agree with you, if Linux likes your system, all is fine and dandy, BUT if it doesn't... oooh boy the joy you'll experience , luckily my systems don't fight too often with it.
    Unfortunately, I have moved my main daily apps to Ubuntu, and when you have more Usb 3.0 ports than 2.0 you would expect to use them
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ocram View Post
    Dude, switch over to Linux and start customizing it until you have seen every color of pink. There's absolutely no need to put their product on your machine. Nobody is forcing you to use it either, you can buy it, get it for free or not.
    No, you can't get it for free. You can get it pre-loaded onto a system. It's also not easy to get a laptop without getting Windows pre-loaded (and you'd be very hard pressed to get that cost back in the UK if you don't wish to run Windows).
    However, none of that is the issue. I'm just commenting on the fact that they are removing the ability for their users to improve their visual experience (and some of what they are removing is a legal/health&safety(?) requirement for VDUs in the workplace). The underlying ability is still all there in the OS - just no way to utilize it at the user level.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    No, you can't get it for free. You can get it pre-loaded onto a system. It's also not easy to get a laptop without getting Windows pre-loaded (and you'd be very hard pressed to get that cost back in the UK if you don't wish to run Windows).
    However, none of that is the issue. I'm just commenting on the fact that they are removing the ability for their users to improve their visual experience (and some of what they are removing is a legal/health&safety(?) requirement for VDUs in the workplace). The underlying ability is still all there in the OS - just no way to utilize it at the user level.
    You can upgrade for free from Win7 and Win 8.1, but it seems you missed the point or at the very least forgot to read the part about Linux. Health/Safety?? Really? Yes upgrading to Win10 can make you blind or cause hairloss, it says so on the box.

Title
    Thanks
    When it comes down to it Windows or Linux derivatives, if you really want you can tinker with all of them to change their appearance - it depend on how far you want to go.
    In terms of reliability and user friendly, I would hate to recommend either to a complete newbee (if that's possible even today) as Ocram says you need a sense of humour with both systems!...... now Ipad, that's user friendly!!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    So PC, multiboot win10, ubuntu 14.04, ubuntu 15.04 ... Usb3 works on win10.
    Upgraded 14.04 -> 15.04 ...... USB3 now works on win10 and upgraded to 15.04 not clean flash 15.04 ..... beat that!
    .. But laptop usb3 still dead as a dodo on 15.04, even just installed latest LTS kernel 4.1.5 and no go.....but changed error messsages..... Must be a step forward? .... But 12.04 works fine!
    Oh Linux!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Oh Linux!
    Ya gotta love it
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khan888 View Post
    Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit version depending on what your computer is curently running, run the software and you should be upgaded to windows 10 after a while

Code:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    I have upgraded to Win 10 on some computers, and I had problems with Tuneup afterwards. Some programs it seems, it would be wise like Tuneup to uninstall, before upgrading, and then install them again.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Thanks, but it's only window borders, backgrounds and titlebars that I need to fix.
    I never had a problem with the lack of a Start Menu in Win8.1 - I just made a taskbar of the Programs directory (and still have it in Win10 - although the Start Menu there is much better).
    Well they listened! The latest preview build 10525 (today) provides this facility. You just have to enable and off you go.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Let's hope they will commit this to W8.1 as well.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Well they listened! The latest preview build 10525 (today) provides this facility. You just have to enable and off you go.
    I noticed that this was in the Preview. I don't run them, so hope it will migrate to an update - soon.
    Now they just need to fix the idiotic inability to mark an Ethernet connexion as metered (since a tethered mobile 'phone shows up as an Ethernet connexion - so Windows10 may decide to download a few hundred MB of update using it).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    This preview was (apparently) lacking most language support, so promised another update soon ... so guess we are looking at least 10 days before its sent to the mass update list ... assuming there are no problems. It was also a complete Win 10 upgrade and the Insider Review watermark (bottom right) has reappeared.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast