Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: What is the best Motorised Satellite Dish?

Title
    Thanks

Post What is the best Motorised Satellite Dish?

I'm looking for a Motorised Satellite Dish which will give me the most channels in the world if possible, if not than europe and asia will do. I currently live in England with a standard sky dish and vu+ solo 2 box. I've been thinking to get a Motorised Satellite Dish for a while now, but when i've researched to try and find the best one, I didn't have a clue what i was doing. So i hoping one of you lot could tell me the BEST one which could give me the most channels around the world. I understand that most of the channels will be encrypted and you would need a server etc. to watch them. I will get to that hurdle when I cross it! So has anyone got any good Motorised Satellite Dish examples? Dont worry about the price, again i will cross that hurdle when i come to it.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks

Post What is the best Motorised Satellite Dish?

I'm looking for a Motorised Satellite Dish which will give me the most channels in the world if possible, if not than europe and asia will do. I currently live in England with a standard sky dish and vu+ solo 2 box. I've been thinking to get a Motorised Satellite Dish for a while now, but when i've researched to try and find the best one, I didn't have a clue what i was doing. So i hoping one of you lot could tell me the BEST one which could give me the most channels around the world. I understand that most of the channels will be encrypted and you would need a server etc. to watch them. I will get to that hurdle when I cross it! So has anyone got any good Motorised Satellite Dish examples? Dont worry about the price, again i will cross that hurdle when i come to it.

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi you will only really get european satalittes even with a motorised dish getting asian just isnt really going to happen no matter what size you get you can get some african and some middle east satalittes but very very weak so depending where you are in the uk you will need a 1.5m to 2.2 meter dish to get anything decent from them and then its hit and miss and would also need planning permission for any dish over i think its 1.4 meters

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Dont double post it confusing and against forum rules

Title
    Thanks
    A motorised dish will only pick up signals from as far a europe and possibly north Africa. If you want channels from all around the world then IPTV is the way to go. A 1m motorised dish will bring in 1000's of channels in just europe alone a 1.2m even more.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper1974 View Post
    Dont double post it confusing and against forum rules
    Sorry mate, didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by kegnkiwi View Post
    A motorised dish will only pick up signals from as far a europe and possibly north Africa. If you want channels from all around the world then IPTV is the way to go. A 1m motorised dish will bring in 1000's of channels in just europe alone a 1.2m even more.
    Yes i was looking at IPTV but it's much different to satellite tv like it hasn't got listings etc. Like my question was, what the BEST motorised dish out there? i've looked and looked but there's thousands and i don't want to spend and get the wrong one.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper1974 View Post
    Hi you will only really get european satalittes even with a motorised dish getting asian just isnt really going to happen no matter what size you get you can get some african and some middle east satalittes but very very weak so depending where you are in the uk you will need a 1.5m to 2.2 meter dish to get anything decent from them and then its hit and miss and would also need planning permission for any dish over i think its 1.4 meters
    Yes i understand there's a limit on what size you can get etc. But i'm trying to get the maximum of channels under the limits on the law, but the problem is that i havent got a clue which sizes are good, what size is minimum u need, try getting the all the European channels at least etc.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Then you need to think about languages.... It,s no point in picking up 1000's of channelsif you cannot understand what you are watching .... And in many countries, English original programs are dubbed into native language (no sub titles)
    So you need to think hard about what you really want, before looking at dish sizes etc
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Before you even think about a dish you should be thinking about the line of sight on where you will be positioning the dish, my dish is a triax 1.2m that is above the eaves at the side of my house and about 30 odd feet up so the line of sight to the east is blocked by the roof but I can still get 45 east to 50ish west but if your line of sight is blocked by trees, other peoples roofs, and anything else, you could have a 3 meter ground mounted dish and get less than I am getting because of line of sight problems.

This may be of help you it is not my work but from the The Independent Network of Dealers & Installers site.

"There are lots of satellites broadcasting over Europe with lots of TV and radio channels, some channels are free and some scrambled. It is possible to use a fixed dish to receive one satellite, a multi feed dish to receive several satellites or a motorised satellite dish to receive multiple satellites.

Satellites are based in the Clarke belt, so named after Arthur C Clarke who predicted the use of communications satellites in the fixed orbit 24000 miles or so above the equator. Satellites in this belt are termed as geo-stationary due to the fact that they appear fixed in relation to the earth. Satellites are kept in position by on board rocket boosters. Satellites have a limited life because of the low amount of fuel on board. However they are regularly replaced by updated powerful satellites.

The satellites broadcast a beam to earth rather like a torch beam with a powerful signal at the centre getting weaker at the edges. These beams are also known as footprints and all satellite owners publish maps that predict the EIRP or radiated power that determines the size of dish required to receive a signal. Satellites also have multiple beams meaning that some signals are stronger or weaker from the same satellite. Sometime the edge of a beam can have strong signal areas as the fade rate from a beam will vary causing confusion over dish size required in certain areas.

A dish has a view of the satellite belt that is over the equator known as the satellite arc. In the UK the available arc is around 60 degrees East and West of South at an elevation of around 30 degrees at south getting lower at the edges. Most satellites broadcast high in the arc to avoid problems with line of sight. The dish is set up to track the arc so that satellites can be received. The majority of European style receivers have the Disecq protocol that allows control of a disecq dish motor down the same cable as the LNB. Some motors also have the USALS (Universal satellite automatic location system) Protocol that means satellites positions are preset into the memory of the motor for easier installation.

Fitting a motorised dish will depend largely on location and available line of sight to satellites. Using a compass and inclinometer to determine line of sight is one way to check. Many installers use the Satpointer app on iphone to check for line of sight or online see http://www.satpointer.com

One of the most important factors is to ensure that the pole that the dish and motor is installed on is 100% level in all aspects or the motor will never track the arc correctly.

Dishes can be mounted on the wall or ground depending on dish size and line of sight etc. It is best to get your local installer to carry out a survey and give their recommendations.

Once installed receivers will automatically move the dish to the correct satellite after a channel is selected.

Older dish systems used a separate 36v power lead to power motors that used reed switches and optical sensors to memorise dish positions."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesjay For This Useful Post:

watling85 (28-07-15)

Title
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Then you need to think about languages.... It,s no point in picking up 1000's of channelsif you cannot understand what you are watching .... And in many countries, English original programs are dubbed into native language (no sub titles)
    So you need to think hard about what you really want, before looking at dish sizes etc
    Yes I understand that there's different languages when you get the dish. But there's still a good amount of channels that are in english that are watchable. to be honest i'm not really fussed in watching tv in a different language so it's not my main concern.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjay View Post
    Before you even think about a dish you should be thinking about the line of sight on where you will be positioning the dish, my dish is a triax 1.2m that is above the eaves at the side of my house and about 30 odd feet up so the line of sight to the east is blocked by the roof but I can still get 45 east to 50ish west but if your line of sight is blocked by trees, other peoples roofs, and anything else, you could have a 3 meter ground mounted dish and get less than I am getting because of line of sight problems.

This may be of help you it is not my work but from the The Independent Network of Dealers & Installers site.

"There are lots of satellites broadcasting over Europe with lots of TV and radio channels, some channels are free and some scrambled. It is possible to use a fixed dish to receive one satellite, a multi feed dish to receive several satellites or a motorised satellite dish to receive multiple satellites.

Satellites are based in the Clarke belt, so named after Arthur C Clarke who predicted the use of communications satellites in the fixed orbit 24000 miles or so above the equator. Satellites in this belt are termed as geo-stationary due to the fact that they appear fixed in relation to the earth. Satellites are kept in position by on board rocket boosters. Satellites have a limited life because of the low amount of fuel on board. However they are regularly replaced by updated powerful satellites.

The satellites broadcast a beam to earth rather like a torch beam with a powerful signal at the centre getting weaker at the edges. These beams are also known as footprints and all satellite owners publish maps that predict the EIRP or radiated power that determines the size of dish required to receive a signal. Satellites also have multiple beams meaning that some signals are stronger or weaker from the same satellite. Sometime the edge of a beam can have strong signal areas as the fade rate from a beam will vary causing confusion over dish size required in certain areas.

A dish has a view of the satellite belt that is over the equator known as the satellite arc. In the UK the available arc is around 60 degrees East and West of South at an elevation of around 30 degrees at south getting lower at the edges. Most satellites broadcast high in the arc to avoid problems with line of sight. The dish is set up to track the arc so that satellites can be received. The majority of European style receivers have the Disecq protocol that allows control of a disecq dish motor down the same cable as the LNB. Some motors also have the USALS (Universal satellite automatic location system) Protocol that means satellites positions are preset into the memory of the motor for easier installation.

Fitting a motorised dish will depend largely on location and available line of sight to satellites. Using a compass and inclinometer to determine line of sight is one way to check. Many installers use the Satpointer app on iphone to check for line of sight or online see http://www.satpointer.com

One of the most important factors is to ensure that the pole that the dish and motor is installed on is 100% level in all aspects or the motor will never track the arc correctly.

Dishes can be mounted on the wall or ground depending on dish size and line of sight etc. It is best to get your local installer to carry out a survey and give their recommendations.

Once installed receivers will automatically move the dish to the correct satellite after a channel is selected.

Older dish systems used a separate 36v power lead to power motors that used reed switches and optical sensors to memorise dish positions."
    you've got a 1.2m dish? i thought you're allowed to have upto 1m before you require planning permission. Also yes i've already got a local installer around my house to see if i can get a motorised dish to it's potential and it was all good. The guy said all you need now is to buy the dish and he'll install it for me. Hence why i came on here to find that perfect dish to buy and he'll install it for me.

The price isn't a worry as there's 5 of us looking to put around £100 in each to get the best one. So anyone know the best one?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If it is going on a wall then yes you would need to stick to planning regulations, I put the dish up myself and took a chance and it has been up there for over 14 years so I was lucky, maybe because I own the house and the difference between 1m and 1.1m dish is only 4 inches and it is on the back of the house not the front. By the way I said I had a 1.2 Triax but it is a Triax 1.1-TD...Triax don't do a 1.2 sorry about that..the forum sponsor does Triax dishes so have a look, all I can say is my Triax is over 14 years old and I have just needed to fine tune it once or twice.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...Satellite-Dish

But you still need a motor I have a Jaeger SMR-99G Silent Gold Horizon to Horizon Mount 36v motor, and it needs to be compatible with the dish, the motor, the dish are all separate components just like the cabling and the LNB and the pole or mast and the mounts and brackets that connect everything to the wall.

You still haven't said if your dish is going on the wall or ground, if I was getting a dish for ground mounting and I had good line of sight and a big budget then I would be trying to find an Andrews (Channel Master) and that would eat into your budget big time and you would still need a heavy duty motor to drive it.

If the dish is going on the wall then you are stuck with a 1m dish and more than likely a Disecq protocol or a USALS (Universal satellite automatic location system) Protocol motor, these motors are powered by the LNB feed (less powerful than 36v motors) they are slower than 36v but can be quicker to setup and are good value.

From the forum sponsor.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...lite-dish-pack

There are Asia channels on the satellites between 45east and 30west but not satellites for sole transmission to Asia countries, Lynsat lists Asia satellites as 75 east and further east so I would have thought no chance, but that would be a question for your local installer including what satellites with what size dish and of course a price for supply and fitting.