Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Amiko A3 and other Android boxes

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2stein View Post
    history shows that market leaders often failed to innovate and thus lost their leadership.
    That is when talking about companies. Enigma is far more then a company.

e2 is already being attacked by tvs, streaming services, etc. so from my point of view the outlook is not rosy.
    Not for DVR-functionality. And that's what receivers are about.[/QUOTE]

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Not for DVR-functionality. And that's what receivers are about.
    yes, but the question is whether dvr-only boxes will survive or whether they will be replaced by boxes with more functionality, like pocket-cameras got replaced by smartphones.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Well, we go in circles. As long as there is no (good) combined box, there isn't even an alternative. And believe me: the a3 is no alternative for any DVR, by far not.

And in fact your example about the camera is a good example of the very same: there is (still) no smartphone that could replace a real camera. Only limited functionality and quality is embedded in a phone so far (hence there is still a market for real camera's).

Don't get me wrong: I would also like to have a TV that also holds an amplifier, blue-ray player, satellite-receiver/DVR and MM-player. But as there is no such device, I'm more then happy to have these functionalities split over multiple devices, as long as each of them does a thorough job.
    And maybe this is even better: adding (and replacing in case of failure or lack of updates) cheap devices like a MM-player and a Chromecast to a TV works quite well. And a 'modular' setup is even trending....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (13-07-15)

Title
    Thanks
    yes... circles i know that there is no good combined box available yet.
    is there a good media player (not kodi based... as kodi has the same drm limitations as e2)... that can be extended with plugins/apps and has a broad community that you would recommend?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    That's for somebody else to answer.

Title
    Thanks
    I have followed this as it is much more interesting than a lot of theory postings. Can I agree with the "final" suggestion that it is really good to be able to add relatively cheap add on devices to enable the latest fad rather than replacing the whole.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrykiddy View Post
    I have followed this as it is much more interesting than a lot of theory postings. Can I agree with the "final" suggestion that it is really good to be able to add relatively cheap add on devices to enable the latest fad rather than replacing the whole.
    i did not come to that conclusion because i still think that a box with the power of a vu+ duo2 or equivalent could easily do mediaplayer functions in addition to dvr. however, it needs to be based on different os than pure linux, like android ... which does not exist yet.
    Last edited by 2stein; 13-07-15 at 18:16.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    i did not come to that conclusion because i still think that a box with the power of a vu+ duo2 or equivalent could easily do mediaplayer functions in addition to dvr. however, it needs to be based on different os than pure linux, like android ... which does not exist yet.

you still dont seem to get the whole point of this thread, it makes no difference what so ever what OS such a device is based on, it is fully dependant on weather that OS has a active community of developers working with it. Enigma2 does have such a community android currently does not in this context.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Today I was on XDA Developers forum some of you may be aware of this forum. I noticed that on the thread based around rom for the Galaxy S3 there was just under 1 million views now I'm not much of a stat man but I'm guessing that's more views than the entire world of Satellite forum put together. The world of Satellite forum in my opinion is the current market leading forum for E 2 boxes.

If a single ROM on Android can attract 1 million views how can we say that it doesn't have an active community? The problem is with the development and the hardware. Box's like the M8 are doing really well as are the Amazon fire. These have a very good following.

If a community the size of the Vix got behind an Android piece of hardware such as the Weplay or the Amiko, in the space of 12 months we could have a market leading Android box. Even if we could put Android on to a you duo2 again we would have a market leading box.

When I started this thread I was speaking hypothetically about the future in my opinion not the current. I have the amiko A3 it's an average XBMC box and an average satellite box comparable to an old dm500. But with its hardware it has the capability of being much more.

I only wish I could program, if I could I would. Maybe in a few years when the kids have left home I will start getting my head in the books!

1 last thing, most people on this forum are probably based in the UK. Here 95 percent of the population will have Sky, Virgin, or Freeview / Freesat. When you go into Europe though everybody has enigma type boxes or Android style boxes the market potential is massive! if I was a rich man I would invest in an Android operating system for a high quality satellite and multimedia receiver.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    vu duo 2, vu duo, vu uno. 3 sky zone 2 dishes, 19e 23.5e and 28.2e. Triax td110cm dish on a tripod used for messing around. Satlink meter and rover stc eu.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1978 View Post
    Today I was on XDA Developers forum some of you may be aware of this forum. I noticed that on the thread based around rom for the Galaxy S3 there was just under 1 million views now I'm not much of a stat man but I'm guessing that's more views than the entire world of Satellite forum put together. The world of Satellite forum in my opinion is the current market leading forum for E 2 boxes.

If a single ROM on Android can attract 1 million views how can we say that it doesn't have an active community? The problem is with the development and the hardware. Box's like the M8 are doing really well as are the Amazon fire. These have a very good following.

If a community the size of the Vix got behind an Android piece of hardware such as the Weplay or the Amiko, in the space of 12 months we could have a market leading Android box. Even if we could put Android on to a you duo2 again we would have a market leading box.

When I started this thread I was speaking hypothetically about the future in my opinion not the current. I have the amiko A3 it's an average XBMC box and an average satellite box comparable to an old dm500. But with its hardware it has the capability of being much more.

I only wish I could program, if I could I would. Maybe in a few years when the kids have left home I will start getting my head in the books!

1 last thing, most people on this forum are probably based in the UK. Here 95 percent of the population will have Sky, Virgin, or Freeview / Freesat. When you go into Europe though everybody has enigma type boxes or Android style boxes the market potential is massive! if I was a rich man I would invest in an Android operating system for a high quality satellite and multimedia receiver.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Im not saying android does not have a dev community because it does but thats almost entirely centred around the cell phone market, for these android based receivers they pretty much just throw a stock android rom with a few tweaks onto it and leave it at that. that is not a community in my opinion, just imagine if ViX said ok fellas we have pretty much done as much as we can with this think so were stopping development, for all your future needs just look for compatible plugins. And as far as the wetek goes the best thing I ever did with mine was to put OpenElec on it.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The world of Satellite forum in my opinion is the current market leading forum for E 2 boxes.
    That's too much honour and far from the truth.
    I have the amiko A3 it's an average XBMC box and an average satellite box comparable to an old dm500. But with its hardware it has the capability of being much more.
    That's virtually always the case. But in this case it's also the chipset that doesn't support the DVR-functionality enough.
    And this is 'closed firmware', so there is no community involved. Just a few professional devs, in a professional environment; that never works. Fulan pulled the plug, because they couldn't manage it.
    And as far as I know no Android community is busy around receivers/DVR's. At least not a large one.

Believe me: it's not that easy to match the years of development that made Enigma mature.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

mr.raw (14-07-15)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Just my two cents worth, not read all the the thread been too busy with real life.

1) Anyone buying an Amiko A3 @ £159 is being ripped off, Fulan (the manufactuer) has pulled the plug on them.
    2) If you still really want one, save yourself a packet and buy the IDENTICAL SAB ANROID I S908, you'll get one for around £110.00. Don't believe the market BS from the UK seller, they're full of crap.
    3) If you want an Android box that DOES have loads of active development with many OS's including Enigma2 go for the Wetek Play, E2 images are improving, although still in Alpha/Beta stages.
    4) Wetek play imo if a great little versatile little box, for Kodi, OpenELEC, Android, etc..tinker with many OS's, you wont get bored tinkering.
    5) If you want a fully functional PVR box then buy a Broadcom powered Linux Enimga 2 receiver. Xtrend ET8000 at only £159 is a bargin.
    6) If you want an easy to use box purely for Kodi that plays more or less everything thrown at it, consider the COOD-E TV.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    you still dont seem to get the whole point of this thread, it makes no difference what so ever what OS such a device is based on, it is fully dependant on weather that OS has a active community of developers working with it. Enigma2 does have such a community android currently does not in this context.
    i get that point. but it's still a mute point. in my mind (and correct me if i'm wrong) e2 will never be able to do reasonable streaming (legal drm) because of linux.
    that's why i think that future "universal" settop boxes need to be based on a different os... android would be the only one suitable that comes to my mind.
    the wetek box goes in that direction (and i'm playing with the idea of buying one)... but the hardware platform is way below my requirements... i'd like to have a duo2 like hardware (internal disk, card reader, 4 tuners). i know that there is no community (yet) to put android on a duo2... and it won't probably happen because the duo2 has no arm processor. but the solo 4k will have an android friendly processor (did broadcom move to an arm processor to enable it for android???), so that's why i thought it would make a lot of sense to put android (besides e2) on that box... but again: circles...
    Last edited by 2stein; 14-07-15 at 09:01.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You should not even want to play anything with DRM.
    The 'M' stands for management, but the only thing that's being managed is limiting your own, personal rights. So yes: Open Source software and limitation of rights do stand in each others way. And IMHO it should stay that way.

So to break the circle: I'm very happy with the versatility E2 offers us, including it's streaming potential.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoga View Post
    the A3 is perfect
    WOW, that's a statement! You must have been taken in by Lavat's bullshit or you work for them

but that of A3 is a dream
    You serious? You must work for them bull shitters!

The A3 is more suited for the living room (easy for wives and kids to operate).
    PMSL!! I nearly got a 2nd divorve without even re-marrying showing my new partner one these

variety of OS but none is comparable to spark 2. The fact is, A3 (spark 2)
    OMG, your 1st post has made my day! What a hilarious read! What variaty of OS does is run??? Spark2?? Wtf is Spark2 about Android 4.2.2??

E2 cannot compete with spark 2 because of endless possibilities on android.
    Two different systems, ANY satellite TV receiver based on Android (please don't call it Spark 2, thats just pure bullshit) can in NO way compete as a PVR system running Enimga2.

What I hated most about E2 was the frequent crashes and besides, E2 boxes are awfully slow. I haven’t experienced any crash since using my A3 and it’s been 4 days now.
    Well you must be a newb then and most likely used a shitty SH4 Amiko running dual boot crap Spark 1 and hacked enigma2. Make that statement after you've had the pleaseure of using a Solo2, Duo2, HD2400, ET8000, ET10000....

OpenElec is basically Kodi and that’s it.
    What a load of crap.

E2, on the other hand, is much suitable for TV and boasts of lots of plugins
    Only sensible statement you made

1. Great RCU with speech recognition and headphone
    Yes i agree a nice feature.

2. HDD option a plus
    Pointless is this type of box imo.
    3. Perfect UI – very hard to tell its android
    Thought it was Spark2?
    4. TV – SD, HD all smooth and vibrant
    Imo NAS playback is not great, not smooth ans silky here...SD or HD no better than any other receiver I got.
    5. Mouse cursor is large
    Anooyingly so...
    7. Great design - the aluminium brushed silver design blends well
    Looks are its best asset imo
    8. CPU usage is quite good
    So so imo.
    9. Goes on standby and deep standby
    So do most other receivers.
    10. The integrated browser is nice
    Standart android browser.
    11. Software is stable
    As already stated, Fulan the manufacturer has stopped development of this product.
    12. Kodi 15.0 rc2 is as smooth as silk – HD videos from SMB, youtube and vimeo plugins.
    Also is on my WetekPlay

So do you work for the scumbags at Lavat or what?

Seriously, your post made my day, was a joy to read

Should have saved yourself a packet and purchased the IDENTICAL SAB ANDROID I HD
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast