Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duo2 dead power supply ok?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    My duo2 doesn't boot no more and doesn't recognize a USB-stick either.
    The white led flashes when I push the power button above the front USB connector
    Before that, a number of times the system stopped reacting, with sound continuing. Picture mostly blocked. No reaction on remote control or Ethernet port. I had to cut power.
    Before sending it for repair, can I check the power supply? I measure 12V on 4 output pins as marked on the print, but I was thinking about the problems with a capacitor with the duo I red about.
    I don`t know about situation in yor country, but in Finland it is very easy to order new powersupply for Duo2:
    http://www.*******.fi/power-supply-f..._from_store=fi
    It is not the question just for the voltage, but also for ripple AC voltage above voltage. That might be caused of damaged capacitors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wullboy View Post
    What is nowadays m8, everything is getting made cheaper & cheaper by the day...
    Stracted from an internet blog:

"Budget Realisation Phase – The cost for every single Capacitor needed was well over £100! About 20% of that was due to me picking very long lifespan big name Japanese made capacitors as an upgrade to 10,000 Hours of full load service life at 105ºc – by comparison the original now suspect non-Japanese capacitors averaged a mere 2,000 Hours of service life at mostly 85ºc"

Seem that vu+ choosed cheep chinese caps. Thinking of not to buy anymore their boxes.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blaska View Post
    Stracted from an internet blog:

"Budget Realisation Phase – The cost for every single Capacitor needed was well over £100! About 20% of that was due to me picking very long lifespan big name Japanese made capacitors as an upgrade to 10,000 Hours of full load service life at 105ºc – by comparison the original now suspect non-Japanese capacitors averaged a mere 2,000 Hours of service life at mostly 85ºc"

Seem that vu+ choosed cheep chinese caps. Thinking of not to buy anymore their boxes.
    A lot of electronics have a part or parts that are designed to fail after a certain period of time. It would not cost a lot more if they bought better parts
    in bulk, but there is more money for the makers if people keep buying new after a few years. I watch a program where they did it with the old light bulbs that were designed to fail after a number hours. and it would not cost them much more to make them last longer. And their were collusion with other manufacturers to keep to to these specs, because it made more money.

Title
    Thanks
    My DUO2 is getting a bit flaky. Random lock-ups even in standby in the middle of the night. I've reflashed numerous times with different images and disabled some plugins that I thought might be suspect (eg EPGimport). Still flaky

Now I think it may be a hardware problem and, as it is over three years old, faulty capacitors are the likely cause. I successfully changed the faulty cap on my old DUO but do not have the skill to do all the changes required for the Duo2.

The professional repair by "moltensolder" mentioned above is a possibility - but is it worth £250? I can buy a new box for less than that!
    Has anyone here had this repair done? Did it make the improvements claimed (including tuner sensitivity, picture quality and responsiveness)?

Should I go for the repair or not?
    Is a repaired/modified Duo2 the best thing available for £250?
    I do not feel the need for 4K UHD just yet and my fairly new 60" TV does not support it anyway.
    Comments please.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 007.4 View Post
    My DUO2 is getting a bit flaky. Random lock-ups even in standby in the middle of the night. I've reflashed numerous times with different images and disabled some plugins that I thought might be suspect (eg EPGimport). Still flaky

Now I think it may be a hardware problem and, as it is over three years old, faulty capacitors are the likely cause. I successfully changed the faulty cap on my old DUO but do not have the skill to do all the changes required for the Duo2.

The professional repair by "moltensolder" mentioned above is a possibility - but is it worth £250? I can buy a new box for less than that!
    Has anyone here had this repair done? Did it make the improvements claimed (including tuner sensitivity, picture quality and responsiveness)?

Should I go for the repair or not?
    Is a repaired/modified Duo2 the best thing available for £250?
    I do not feel the need for 4K UHD just yet and my fairly new 60" TV does not support it anyway.
    Comments please.
    It is not worth it at that price. One should now be able to buy a secondhand box a lot cheaper.

Title
    Thanks
    I'm sure I could pick up a second hand Duo2 for less, as you say. However, the caps on it are likely to fail soon as well, there would no warranty and there will be none of the alleged improvements the "moltensolder" repair offers. Furthermore, I'm disappointed in the picture quality of the Duo2. It is no where as good as my old Amiko2 (SH4 chip).

Is there another box out there with similar specs to the Duo2 but better picture quality and longevity for about the £250 mark?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12