Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Control Scripts and Assorted Oddities

Title
    Thanks

Remote Control Scripts and Assorted Oddities

Hi all,

I have a growing collection of scripts which allow me to remote control and use my Duo+ (and Dreambox 600) in various ways - in theory they're cross platform python scripts, with the main development and testing done on Linux.

Don't know if anyone is at all interested in them or even where to post about them here , but to give some ideas of the stuff I'm doing:

* Tuning and Playback via PS3 (and probably XBox 360, hacked XBox and others)

Provides a nice way to share the device around the house - for myself, I have the receiver in my office and a PS3 hooked up to a projector in my basement - channel lists show up in the PS3 xmb like (almost) normal video files...

* Remote control from an Android phone

Really basic control written in python and running under the Android Scripting Environment.

And a few other odds and ends - mostly just experimental stuff - won't guarantee ease of use, reliability or whatever, but might be fun if you have masochistic tendencies .

There are no docs, but should be able to knock some up here if anyone is at all interested (and willing to get their hands dirty in the code and patient about replies ). I know next to nothing about Windows (last I used properly was Windows 98 - been Linux and a bit of OS/X since then), so a bit of knowledge about python setup and installation would probably be helpful if that's your platform.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilo_booter For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (12-12-10),Maxwell (12-12-10)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Might be worth posting them in the Misc downloads section and they could be of particular interest to our resident coder andyblac as well as a few others attempting to learn Python

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    post the scripts in misc downloads section would love to see what you have
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The PS3 Stuff sounds intresting to me.
    Wouldn't mind giving that a go.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edision OS Mega
    TUNER A: - Stab HH-90Motor, Inverto Black LNB, Cheapo Lidl 80cm Supermarket Dish, 15W to 42E
    TUNER B: - (Nothing Connected) Will be used a 2nd Cable from Motor
    TUNER C: - Fixed 28.2E (on Sky Q Hybrid LNB)
    Sky Q and 2 Mini's

Lots of Old Dead Equipment...

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox0786 View Post
    post the scripts in misc downloads section would love to see what you have
    I'm sure I just said that

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell4321 View Post
    I'm sure I just said that
    yes you did my point of my post was that please do as maxwell advised as i am interested too see them too
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks guys - will try to prep something up.

At the moment, the core system is on sourceforge at
    Code:
    http://dcp.sf.net
    - this provides a base server which attempts to locate devices in your lan and provide a 'standard' comms protocol to communicate with those devices (not just restricted to enigma/enigma2, but other stuff too - hence the description referring to triple dragon - don't have one of those, but my mate was attempting to add support for his - unsure where it stands at the moment ).

The ps3 stuff is an extension of that and the ps3mediaserver from
    Code:
    http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
    - just need to configure that to hook up to the dcp system and it (maybe ) works...

Will try to knock up some downloads and rough docs on this in the misc downloads section over the next week or so.
    Last edited by pooface; 13-12-10 at 10:38. Reason: remove live links

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilo_booter For This Useful Post:

bassethound (27-12-10),DrProzac (12-12-10),Maxwell (12-12-10),Sicilian (14-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrProzac View Post
    The PS3 Stuff sounds intresting to me.
    Wouldn't mind giving that a go.
    While preparing this, I decided to update my ps3mediaserver to the current version and hit a small snag - it works, but changing channel is taking about 10 seconds - was closer to 3 with the older version I was using (which kinda sucked, but wasn't *so* bad). Also, HD ain't going through (PS3 is complaining about lack of memory ).

Mostly concerned about the time to switch - may have to dig into the ps3mediaserver to see what's going on there - very annoying.

On the plus side, the Android script (dubbed dandy) is working well .

Title
    Thanks
    Well, posted it to the Misc Downloads section - hadn't realised that I couldn't post replies in there, so I guess I'll post the set up of the other things in here if anyone is interested.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lilo_booter For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (27-12-10)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lilo_booter View Post
    Well, posted it to the Misc Downloads section - hadn't realised that I couldn't post replies in there, so I guess I'll post the set up of the other things in here if anyone is interested.
    Nice one mate, will have a play over the next couple of days and am very interested in the PS3/Android control stuff

Title
    Thanks
    Android

To set up the Android system, you need to install SLA4 and Python on your phone - the first provides a base system for hosting many scripting languages and python runs on top of that. You can get them from:

Code:
    http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
    Links are on the right hand side - they can be installed in either order.

Once installed, you then need to copy the dcp/src/android/dandy.py to your phone's script directory (for me, they're on the sd card).

You might want to edit that file first to change the ip address on line 195 - this should be the ip address of the PC running the DCP server - not the Duo.

To run it, fire up sla4 and select dandy.py from the list provided - if the ip address is wrong or the DCP server isn't running, you'll be prompted for the correct ip address.

After connecting, select the device described as Dreambox from the menu and you should find that you can do basic volume control, tv tuning, switching to radio, bouquet selection and a few other odds and ends.

The current python for the android is a bit restricted in terms of GUI support, but for a quick hack, it's kinda fun .

Meant to add that you can also add a shortcut to start the script from the main android home screen too..
    Last edited by lilo_booter; 27-12-10 at 16:11.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lilo_booter For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (27-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Would you have any detailed instructions for this to work on a PS3? I've installed python 2.5 (tried 2.6) and already have PS3 media server but I'm stuck. I wasn't sure about thos other modules and how they go in plus the DCPstart doesn't seem to want to work.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daz500 View Post
    Would you have any detailed instructions for this to work on a PS3? I've installed python 2.5 (tried 2.6) and already have PS3 media server but I'm stuck. I wasn't sure about thos other modules and how they go in plus the DCPstart doesn't seem to want to work.
    OK - I'm guessing this is on Windows? I don't use Windows much so I'm not sure of all the details here.

First up, I think the tkinter stuff is installed by default, so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

BeautifulSoup can be downloaded from:

Code:
    http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/download/2.x/BeautifulSoup.2.1.1.py
    I think this just has to go into the C:\Python2.x directory as BeautifulSoup.py but could be wrong...

After that, you should have enough to run dcpstart - doesn't matter where you unpack that one, but make sure you keep the contents of the src directory together. If python.exe is on your PATH, python dcpstart should work... if not, reply with the output you get when you run that command.

I will tackle the PS3 media server setup once dcpstart is up...
    Last edited by lilo_booter; 30-12-10 at 18:34.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, I am using windows XP. When I try to start DCP in a command winows, nothing seems to happen because nothing is output to the command window. Whenever I do ctl-c to end the task I get the following:
    C:\DCP>python dcpstart
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "dcpstart", line 25, in <module>
    dcps.sweep.hosts( server, scan = addresses ).start( )
    File "C:\DCP\dcps\sweep.py", line 90, in __init__
    self.scan += self.load_unknown_hosts( )
    File "C:\DCP\dcps\sweep.py", line 116, in load_unknown_hosts
    selection = serenity.multiple( 'Inavlid response - must select at least one
    subnet to use:', local ).readlines( )
    File "C:\DCP\dcps\serenity.py", line 280, in readlines
    line = self.readline( )
    File "C:\DCP\dcps\serenity.py", line 270, in readline
    self.cond.wait( )
    File "c:\python25\lib\threading.py", line 214, in wait
    waiter.acquire()
    KeyboardInterrupt

Here is the DCP log file

DEBUG:root:Constructing universe
    DEBUG:root:Registering base as Base device
    DEBUG:root:Registering base as default device
    DEBUG:root:Commands available: {'blue': 'Turns on the bluetooth server', 'map': 'Device ui map', 'help': 'List of commands', 'selected': 'Identify selected device', 'sweep': 'Sweep activation and status', 'devices': 'List known devices.', 'security': 'Security information', 'select': 'Select a device'}
    ERROR:root:Unable to load dcpd.dbox - failed with No module named bluetooth
    ERROR:root:Unable to load dcpd.dcp - failed with No module named bluetooth
    ERROR:root:Unable to load dcpd.rwi - failed with No module named bluetooth
    ERROR:root:Unable to load dcpd.td - failed with No module named bluetooth
    ERROR:root:Unable to load dcpd.vlc - failed with No module named bluetooth
    ERROR:root:Unable to load dcpd.xine - failed with No module named bluetooth

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daz500 View Post
    ERROR:root:Unable to load dcpd.dbox - failed with No module named bluetooth
    Ah - thought I'd got rid of the bluetooth dependency - doh. You can grab that one from:

Code:
    http://code.google.com/p/pybluez/
    The log should report anything else I missed. If you don't get a prompt, try pressing return or just typing help... sounds like it should be very close though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast