Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any of you lads using a VPN Router.. ?

Title
    Thanks
    Merlin is the standard software that has been tweaked. looks the same on the web interface just has a few extras and for me works better.

I would not recommend Pure VPN as they log your activity. If you are going to do this use a VPN supplier that does not log your activity they cost the same just research it on the www. Seems pointless hiding all you activity and then with one court order your tracking is exposed.... not that I'm paranoid and I am not saying that you are doing anything illegal, but just makes sense.

As for a vpn slowing down the line yes that is correct but for me thats half a meg so not a problem it slows down more at peak times on the www.

Setting up an openvpn server with Merlin this is a good place to start https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-mer...-Merlin%27s-fw
    Last edited by stumpey; 18-05-15 at 13:44.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    thanks,
    im not using a VPN to access the web or anything,
    its merely for using to connect back home into the network, for streaming etc.

the merlin guide for openvpn, only shows you how to create the certs etc, which i already have, i created them years ago, i just want to transfer them into /etc/openvpn via ftp, but as i said before i cannot view the root filesystem in ftp.
    the guide mentions acopying and pasting the contents of my files into the webpage, but surely it would be easier to to transfer my vpn files across via ftp.

i have just noticed there is a newer merlinwrt software in the beta folder of the download page, so i will be flashing that when i get home.
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    Thanks
    I just cut and paste into the allocated windows in the merlin programme web page , worked out of the box

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    fair enough i will give that a try but i have extra files required for my VPN setup, using CCD.
    i may just have to transfer to usb stick and then copy into /etc/openvpn
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Well I received the N66 asus router yesterday and so far i love it. I have not put any 3rd party firmware on there. I just made sure it was the latest stable firmware out from the ASUS website.
    Now i have set up my DDNS webaddress as where i can type in xxxx.asuscomm.com and be able to access my router remotely. I then open the relevant ports when i can get my transcoding on the fly to work. When i am finished i log back into my router settings and disable portforwarding when i do not transcode.
    Is this not considered safe to do?
    I thought this was the correct and safest way to transcode on the fly
    Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Can you not use scp instead of ftp?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finbarr View Post
    Can you not use scp instead of ftp?
    What does this mean?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    What does this mean?
    http://www.hypexr.org/linux_scp_help.php

9. The Following User Says Thank You to finbarr For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (21-05-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Well I received the N66 asus router yesterday and so far i love it. I have not put any 3rd party firmware on there. I just made sure it was the latest stable firmware out from the ASUS website.
    Now i have set up my DDNS webaddress as where i can type in xxxx.asuscomm.com and be able to access my router remotely. I then open the relevant ports when i can get my transcoding on the fly to work. When i am finished i log back into my router settings and disable portforwarding when i do not transcode.
    Is this not considered safe to do?
    I thought this was the correct and safest way to transcode on the fly
    Thanks
    setup the VPN - don't open the ports, install the VPN client on your 'on the fly' device, and connect to the asuscomm address from the VPN, then you can talk direct to the E2 box without having any forwarded ports.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I set up OpenVPN as a server on my Duo2 and recently on my Haweui router (running OpenWRT). I did iperf tests on both VPNs and the sheer power of the Duo2 meant I got way better performance using the VPN on it. So I've turned off the router VPN server and will stick with a single port forward on the router pointing to the Duo2 VPN port. Have had no problems using this method over a year now.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pembo View Post
    setup the VPN - don't open the ports, install the VPN client on your 'on the fly' device, and connect to the asuscomm address from the VPN, then you can talk direct to the E2 box without having any forwarded ports.
    But i am using the xtrend transcoding app. This requires the relevant ports to be opened to allow transcoding on the fly
    How would it work then?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    But i am using the xtrend transcoding app. This requires the relevant ports to be opened to allow transcoding on the fly
    How would it work then?
    Connecting up via VPN means the app thinks you're on you home network.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12