Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cable splitter/coax cables question?

Title
    Thanks

Cable splitter/coax cables question?

Hi, I hope someone can advise me on this. Where you have one cable feed and you have to use a splitter so you have two signals, where one goes in the router and the other in the box, are you supposed to then get connection drops happening some times? I know there is signal loss but surely it's not a lot which could cause drop outs right? Could there be issues with the splitter and coax cables?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    I don't know much about cable, well nothing actually but you always have a possibility that any new piece of hardware you introduce to your setup may be faulty. With the splitter being the most inexpensive and newest part of your setup I'd swap it out for another and see if it makes a difference, also check your cabling for any damage or loose connections. After that I have no other ideas sorry.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

champs4life (28-04-15)

Title
    Thanks
    It's ok Phoenix, appreciate your advice nonetheless. It is really annoying where all your devices stop working when connection drops. All the connectors are as tight as it should be and cabling is new. I figured maybe the splitter and coax cables are faulty and to get more expensive ones but not sure if that will really help as I think the splitter and coax cables generally will cause the issue no matter what.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    As I said cable is not really my thing but the first thing I would look at would be the splitter and the cabling, after that though I'm just as stumped as you are. Sorry.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

champs4life (28-04-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Ok pheonix, will check cabling again to see if it's loose and look at splitter. But I have no clue what I would be looking at haha.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Mostly the problems are bad connections.
    Is it a splitter provided by your cable provider? In that case normally the signal level after the splitter should be ok.
    Vu+ Duo2, OpenVix, 3xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE V2, OpenVix, 1xdvb-s2 , 1xdvb-c (Sundtek)
    Vu+ SoloSE V2, OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE, OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    ET6500. OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Motor 1m dish

Title
    Thanks
    I believe cable can be fussy about certain splitters

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterj View Post
    Mostly the problems are bad connections.
    Is it a splitter provided by your cable provider? In that case normally the signal level after the splitter should be ok.
    Yes.

Would I need to buy another splitter instead? Is there one which is the best?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    If this splitter is provided by your provider, it's probably a special one, with the correct filters for your router.
    I shouldn't replace it.
    Check everything behind that splitter.
    There is nothing else between the splitter and your box, except coax cable?
    Vu+ Duo2, OpenVix, 3xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE V2, OpenVix, 1xdvb-s2 , 1xdvb-c (Sundtek)
    Vu+ SoloSE V2, OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE, OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    ET6500. OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Motor 1m dish

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peterj For This Useful Post:

champs4life (28-04-15)

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    What is the frequency range ofthe splitter you bought? Satellite splitters are (if memory serves correctly) 850Mhz to 2150Mhz and UHF are less then 850Mhz. Not sure what range cable operate in but could explain why you are having trouble if you've bought the wrong one.

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TK4|2|1 For This Useful Post:

champs4life (28-04-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Ok then, can't you buy these special splitters online? I'm just thinking it could be faulty if I'm having drop outs at times due to the coax cables and splitter itself.

Yes only cables between splitter and box.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TK4|2|1 View Post
    What is the frequency range ofthe splitter you bought? Satellite splitters are (if memory serves correctly) 850Mhz to 2150Mhz and UHF are less then 850Mhz. Not sure what range cable operate in but could explain why you are having trouble if you've bought the wrong one.

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll.
    From what I remember it's 2400Mhz.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I think TK4/2/1 has a valid point, i think that cable only use up to 1000Mhz and sat ones go up to 2150Mhz my 4 way cable splitter is 5-1000Mhz and works perfectly as i have a Mutant-LX3- and a Quad + connected with it, nearly forgot to mention the Tivo box that i hardly ever use but is still working fine

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsw9154 For This Useful Post:

champs4life (28-04-15)

Title
    Thanks
    So a 2400Mhz is too much for a cable splitter?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nsw9154 View Post
    I think TK4/2/1 has a valid point, i think that cable only use up to 1000Mhz and sat ones go up to 2150Mhz my 4 way cable splitter is 5-1000Mhz and works perfectly as i have a Mutant-LX3- and a Quad + connected with it, nearly forgot to mention the Tivo box that i hardly ever use but is still working fine
    Slightly off topic but you say you using a 4 way splitter, have you got both boxes in different rooms? If so hasn't using the splitter on both boxes caused poor signal and picture quality?

It's just that I read using splitter with multiple things can cause huge signal loss.

I don't even know how you check how much signal you have lost with using a splitter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast