Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Scottish pub rebels against Premier League

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Scottish pub rebels against Premier League

A pub in Dundee is risking being fined for the illegal showing of live English Premier League football by using a foreign decoder. The Cask and Cork has also banned staff from Sky, BT, the Premier League and the Football Association from entering its premises and put signs on its doors advising employees of the football and broadcasting companies not to set foot in the building, warning that legal action would be taken if the rule is broken.

Sean Reilly, regional manager of Park Leisure Dundee, the pub’s owner, denies the pub was breaking the law by using a different TV provider, having been assured the practice was legal by that provider.

A Premier League spokesman said: “The only legal way for pubs in the UK to screen live Premier League matches is with a Sky Sports or BT Sport commercial subscription. Any other means, no matter what suppliers of foreign satellite systems state, is against the law, and publicans run the risk of prosecution as well as significant fines and costs as recent court cases have demonstrated. We are increasing the number of visits to Scottish licensed premises to ensure the law is not being broken and would urge any pubs or clubs using illegal foreign broadcasts of live Premier League football to stop doing so and purchase legitimate packages from Sky Sports and BT Sport. Suppliers are also being targeted and we have had several successful prosecutions of late.”

In November 2014 four pubs in England were ordered by the High Court to each pay the Premier League costs for breaching copyright by making unauthorised broadcasts of Premier League football in their pubs.

A Premier League Spokesman said at the time that the actions were part of its largest-ever pub and supplier investigations programme. “We will continue to take action against commercial premises that breach our copyright by making unauthorised foreign broadcasts of Premier League football. Already this season we have conducted hundreds of pub visits and commenced action against dozens of publicans, with cost awards being made in our favour on a regular basis,” he advised.

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2015/01/09/scottish-pub-rebels-against-premier-league/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

degoosefish (10-01-15),nipperlocko (10-01-15)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I say well done to that Pub, its one to watch, be interesting to see how it concludes - as a punter its hard to feel sorry for Uncle Rupert

4. The Following User Says Thank You to degoosefish For This Useful Post:

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by degoosefish View Post
    I say well done to that Pub, its one to watch, be interesting to see how it concludes - as a punter its hard to feel sorry for Uncle Rupert
    They might be rethinking their decision now that another former er pub in Glasgow just got handed a 17 grand fine for the same thing.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    According to bbc news, the pub landlord in Glasgow has been ordered to pay £73k to Sky in compensation!

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaser View Post
    According to bbc news, the pub landlord in Glasgow has been ordered to pay £73k to Sky in compensation!
    yeah thats the one I was thinking about, just got the wrong number in my head at the time, still the first pub in the original article must be having a serious think about their actions now seeing that kind of fine.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    To me this seems just another case were UK-legislation is not in accordance with (higher) European law. We have the EU for free (= border-less) trade and services.
    In other words: everyone, no matter where he is located, is entitled to any subscription of any provider. But apparently not in the UK.....

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    To me this seems just another case were UK-legislation is not in accordance with (higher) European law. We have the EU for free (= border-less) trade and services.
    In other words: everyone, no matter where he is located, is entitled to any subscription of any provider. But apparently not in the UK.....
    Yes I fully agree, this us yet another example of sky UK being allowed to get away with operating what is essentially a legal monopoly free from any and all competition.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SIMPLES.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Well, 'allowed to get away' will depend on the counter reaction of the duped. He might appeal, and eventually go to the EU-court.
    Long lasting, exhausting and possibly expensive procedure, unless as a trial-process paid by several.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.