Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBC iPlayer within OnDemand

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi All
    Just found the blog of Jon Billings, the guy heading the BBC change. There are some very unhappy people out there (me included) about this change. Have a read at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/...g-Platform-API

What leaves me astounded is that it seems that you can't request an API key at the moment as Nitro isn't open to the public, so I'm guessing nobody can fix the problem at the moment.

Grrrr
    Last edited by FireballXL5; 03-11-14 at 17:48.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    well this one here pretty much sums it all up for me, and says that the BBC dont want third party applications such as OnDemand or XBMC working with their feeds and if it affects you, tough titty.

6. Jon Billings - BBC
    30TH OCTOBER 2014 - 17:19
    We're sorry that the demise of the RSS feeds has caused you any inconvenience. To be clear, the demise of those feeds and the opening of Nitro are not directly linked - they're driven by different factors.

The iPlayer RSS feeds were a legacy part of older versions of the iPlayer website which we’ve finally had to shut down with the end of a larger hosting contract for those legacy sites. Meanwhile, the timeline for opening up Nitro is really just a balance of resources to prepare the developer portal for open access and finish some technical work to ready Nitro for it, while developing the capabilities needed by our many BBC Online products. (Like iPlayer)

We would of course have preferred to have introduced Nitro before we had to shut down the RSS feeds, but other work (like making content available for 30 days) took priority and we’re left with this gap of a few months.

I think I should also caveat that Nitro is not going to be a like-for-like replacement for the RSS feeds - it has a different style and structure, and it is a managed API, meaning that each consumer (public developer or BBC app) has its own rate limit so that we can manage usage and capacity. We can't guarantee that it'll be easy or even possible for things like RSS readers to use, and you'll have to check that the apps that you build against it are consistent with the service & data licenses granted.

In particular, the BBC does not sanction XBMC, get_iplayer or similar clients, and the iPlayer RSS feeds were never designed or intended to support them. Nitro will almost certainly not support their ways of working. We realise this comes as unwelcome news to users of these clients. The iPlayer team continues to work hard to maximise access to iPlayer across a wide range of platforms and devices.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    BBC snobs. Any chance channel 4 & 5 adding to on demand ?
    Vu+ Duo --- Vix Apollo --- Magic HD Night Skin

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyblas View Post
    BBC snobs. Any chance channel 4 & 5 adding to on demand ?
    None what so ever sadly.

40D went the same way as the BBC have or that should be the BBC have pretty much copied 4OD to limit users to their approved applications, Demand5 was briefly tested in a dev version of OnDmenad but was never made public because they implemented DRM which prevented about 90 percent of their content from being viewed.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyblas View Post
    BBC snobs.
    Hardly. They do have an obligation to manage the copyright of material they broadcast. It's long been known that the access method used by XBMC and get_iplayer was an anomaly, and likely to disappear at any time.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Point #31 by sputy on the blog page (link above) says...
    XMBC'ers - there's a new BBC IPLAYER that works with XBMC after the update to Iplayer. Its in .xunity/xfinity repo

Has anyone tried this? Would it work within the XBMC framework available for E2 boxes?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FireballXL5 View Post
    Point #31 by sputy on the blog page (link above) says...
    XMBC'ers - there's a new BBC IPLAYER that works with XBMC after the update to Iplayer. Its in .xunity/xfinity repo

Has anyone tried this? Would it work within the XBMC framework available for E2 boxes?
    Yes BBC IPLAYER is working through XBMC

Vu+UNO 4K SE [OE-Alliance-4.4 Firmware 5.4-010-Build Oscam-r11693-798][with keys]
    Vu+DUO 2 [OE-Alliance-4.4 Firmware 5.4-003-Build Oscam-r11572-798][with keys]
    Vu+SOLO 2 [OE-Alliance-4.3 Firmware 5.3-039-Build MGcamd]
    Vu+SOLO SE [OE-Alliance-4.4 Firmware 5.4-003-Build MGcamd]

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ^^COMPASS^^ For This Useful Post:

FireballXL5 (05-11-14),mcquaim (05-11-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ^^COMPASS^^ View Post
    Yes BBC IPLAYER is working through XBMC
    Just to be clear, is it working within the E2 framework or have you got it working on a standalone PC?

BTW, I have decided to hassle Jon Billings on his blog, not that I expect to achieve anything, but with the smart TV not giving me iPlayer nor my E2 box I'm more than a bit pi**ed by this. They happily take my money every year though and then there is the 700 quid for the telly. GRRRRRR

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FireballXL5 View Post
    Just to be clear, is it working within the E2 framework or have you got it working on a standalone PC?

BTW, I have decided to hassle Jon Billings on his blog, not that I expect to achieve anything, but with the smart TV not giving me iPlayer nor my E2 box I'm more than a bit pi**ed by this. They happily take my money every year though and then there is the 700 quid for the telly. GRRRRRR
    I think he means it's working in xbmc not e2, There has been lots of fixes ported from xbmc.. mfaraj57 does this kind of stuff all the time for ts media, So I am hoping that there is someone out there who can port the xbmc fix over to e2.. Fingers crossed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12