Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Button changes in Vix 3.0

Title
    Thanks

Question Button changes in Vix 3.0

I've managed to upgrade my system to the latest Vix (as shown in the attached image), actually went a lot smoother than I thought, although I did take lots of photos to make sure I missed nothing. One thing I can't figure out though, are two button changes that seems to have occurred, and I can't find settings to fix them.

Before I upgraded, UP on the remote, used to take you to the Bouquet list, but displayed the current channel you were on. Now it just goes to the top level of the bouquet list, albeit at the currently chosen bouquet. I've changed one setting, Channel List Cursor Behaviour that had the option to "Keep Service" which I thought might be the setting, but that made no difference.

The other one is the Green button. Before the upgrade, it used to display the timers, now it acts exactly like the Red button, and shows the single EPG. Going into the Button Setup option gives you no option to allocate a Timers option to a button.

Have these functions been removed or changed? The bouquet one was a majorly useful one, especially in long lists of channels, like on Hotbird 13.0.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Install a newer build. Build 064 available on http://www.openvix.co.uk/

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    So you come from 3.0 and flash 47 instead of 64; why's that?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    So you come from 3.0 and flash 47 instead of 64; why's that?
    Is that relevant to my problems?

As it so happens, I downloaded the files a few weeks back when 47 was the latest version, I don't check for the latest and greatest versions, I was simply upgrading to cure a problem. Had I not had a problem, I would still be on version 3.0 Build 789, as I had been since the day I had my system installed. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke...

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeC22 View Post
    Yes, a you've discovered, you updated to an old build that still had teething problems with Button Setup.
    Use a current build where these issues have been fixed.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeC22 View Post

As it so happens, I downloaded the files a few weeks back when 47 was the latest version, I don't check for the latest and greatest versions, I was simply upgrading to cure a problem. Had I not had a problem, I would still be on version 3.0 Build 789, as I had been since the day I had my system installed. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke...
    Yes it is actually. Button setup has been added to the image that allows the user to assign buttons for different functions.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Yes it is actually. Button setup has been added to the image that allows the user to assign buttons for different functions.
    Ok. Odd that the even older build that I was using, didn't have any button setup, yet worked.

I take it if I just use a later build, I can backup my settings and the upgrade will reload those settings during the flash? My old settings file wasn't compatible, but I presume from build-to-build will be fine?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Button setup was added so by definition was not there before. Those "preset" functions which we have become accustomed to were programmed elsewhere. The different assignment was part of the teething problems.

Yes you can restore settings as part of the setting up process after flashing.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Well, it turns out that it wasn't the ultimate solution people seemed to be implying... actually.

I now have the timers option back on the green button (which I didn't have to use any button setup to get), but I still don't have the option of using UP to view the bouquets starting at the current service, as I used to have.

They also seem to have removed a selection of buttons from the button setup compared to 047, so you now only have Red, Green, Yellow, Blue and Info... no UP, DOWN, LEFT or RIGHT, or any other buttons.

This is what gets users annoyed. Because people question why you aren't using the latest and greatest version, without actually checking how relevant that version is to the question asked. Then others jump in to defend that question, who have also probably not checked how relevant it is. I questioned the relevance, and it seems I was correct to do so, because I am now on the latest version, and have less functionality than I did over 12 months ago.

It's great that you all stick together to demean the satellite noob. But it also means that when one's wrong, the others are wrong too. Perhaps a more respectful question would be appreciated, when you are trying to work out why someone made a choice. Don't assume that every person with a question, rigorously follows every single build of an image, downloads it and flashes it immediately.

So when someone says "So you come from 3.0 and flash 47 instead of 64; why's that?", it translates to.. "It's a bit stupid to not download the latest version, why would you do something like that... don't you know what you're doing or something?".

When all that was required was a simple "There's a later version than the one you're using, that has added some features that might solve part of your problem. It might be an idea to try that, to see if it fixes any of your problems".

It's polite, respectful, and doesn't imply the user is an idiot. It also doesn't make any guarantees that upgrading *will* fix all the problems, as everyone else was keen to imply. I might be a noob when it comes to the Enigma 2 and ViX setup, and don't always know what I'm doing. But I've also spent 30 years writing software professionally, and helping people to solve problems... without putting them down when they make a wrong decision.

I'm going to let this thread go now, because I'm not overly impressed at what's been presented in here. While that's happening, I suggest people think about why they feel the need to put people under their thumb so quickly. It does nothing but make the forum seem unnecessarily unfriendly, and as the support forum to an online retailer, that's a bad image to portray, because it reflects on them too.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Do me a favour and don't behave like that.
    As has been explained above 'Button setup' has been added and been fine tuned in later versions. So there's no point in moaning about this when you're deliberately using an old version.
    I'm not sure which part of the above explanation wasn't clear to you.
    Last edited by Rob van der Does; 24-10-14 at 20:56. Reason: Typo

Title
    Thanks
    If I were you,I would build my own image
    GigaBlue HD800UE OPENVIX HELIOS
    Xpeed LX2 HDF

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    And BTW: I do my best to express myself in English the best I can. If you're offended by my wording IMHO that tells me more about you than about me.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Well as I see it neither Rob, abu, or judge said anything wrong and where only trying to explain and help

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsw9154 View Post
    Well as I see it neither Rob, abu, or judge said anything wrong and where only trying to explain and help
    Unfortunately some people don't respond very well to being offered help, even when it was they them selves who asked for help with a free piece of software.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.