Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VPN Using Private Internet Access

Title
    Thanks

VPN Using Private Internet Access

Hello
    I have managed to work most things out with the help of this forum but am stuck on the following.

How do I set up my VU+ Solo2 to use Private Internet Access as the VPN. I use VIX

I have searched through the threads and can see there are alternatives but would like to use Private Internet Access if possible.

Thank You.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ukoberon View Post
    Hello
    I have managed to work most things out with the help of this forum but am stuck on the following.

How do I set up my VU+ Solo2 to use Private Internet Access as the VPN. I use VIX

I have searched through the threads and can see there are alternatives but would like to use Private Internet Access if possible.

Thank You.

For those struggling to set up openvpn on their VU+ box, this guide may be useful.

1. goto the client support pages of private internet access site and download the OpenVPN Configuration Files (Default)

2. from the zip file we need ca.crt crl.pem and any ovpn file

3. edit the name of the ovpn file to client.conf.

4. open the client.conf and modify the line "auth-user-pass" so it reads "auth-user-pass password.conf" (without the quotes)

5. create a password.conf file

6. go to Private Internet Access site and log into your control panel. Generate a PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password using the button within the control panel and add the info to the password.conf file so the username and password are on separate lines.

7. place all 4 files (ca.crt, crl.pem, client.conf, password.conf) into the openvpn folder on your box (etc/openvpn)

8. reboot your vu+

9. start the service from the settings - network - openvpn

10. ssh to your vu+ and check the ip with this command wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo

This should do the trick.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to corythompson For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (14-05-17),bassethound (14-05-17),colheath (24-08-17),Colinhunter (24-08-16),DeepSeaDozzer (25-05-17),hardy1976 (24-09-14),Liamalone (06-06-17),seame (23-09-14),ukoberon (23-09-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Is Private Internet Access a reliable VPN service?

Title
    Thanks
    I've not had it long enough to identify any issues.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm using it at the moment, been ok just a little annoying sometimes when too many people are using the same location as you it effects the viewing quality. It is easily solved you just need to log out and back in with a different country/area.
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to duoduo For This Useful Post:

hardy1976 (24-09-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Cory - thats perfect thanks ! I have been using Private Internet Access on 2 other Android devices for a year without any major issues.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ukoberon For This Useful Post:

hardy1976 (24-09-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm interested in setting up a VPN on my Solo2 box.

Quick question... Will this have any effect on remote accessing my Solo2 box? Currently I access my box via an ip address and port forwarding on my router

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    hi

followed all of the steps through to 9 with no problem, im just abit stuck on 10, can someone please simplify how i carry out this step please...great tutorial BTW

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyp12345 View Post
    hi

followed all of the steps through to 9 with no problem, im just abit stuck on 10, can someone please simplify how i carry out this step please...great tutorial BTW
    Can you telnet into the box?
    If so, use that & issue the command mentioned:
    Code:
    wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo
    This step isn't needed for the VPN to work, just verifies the IP address your box is using publicly.

Title
    Thanks
    all sorted now one of my .conf files was wrong thanks for your help

Title
    Thanks
    Not really a huge thing as it doesn't seem to be causing an issue, but using the file name password.conf is not ideal, when openvpn starts it will try to connect using any file that ends with .conf in the /etc/openvpn folder, this means it will think the connection password.conf failed - it would be better to call it something like password.txt.

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry to open an old thread, (and in my case ask a probably stupid question) but I am also looking at configuring PIA for my box (Vu+ Duo).
    I have telnet'd into the box and can't see an openvpn directory in the /etc directory.
    I have looked in the plugins list - but can't see openvpn there, nor in the menus (via system -> Network)
    Where is this elusive openvpn
    BTW I am on the latest build openvix-3.2.005

Cheers
    Last edited by meggiedude; 15-09-15 at 15:32.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meggiedude For This Useful Post:

Blu-ray (26-03-17),hadiskamal (27-10-17),josfit (26-05-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meggiedude View Post
    Sorry to open an old thread, (and in my case ask a probably stupid question) but I am also looking at configuring PIA for my box (Vu+ Duo).
    I have telnet'd into the box and can't see an openvpn directory in the /etc directory.
    I have looked in the plugins list - but can't see openvpn there, nor in the menus (via system -> Network)
    Where is this elusive openvpn
    BTW I am on the latest build openvix-3.2.005

Cheers
    Cancel that - by the power of google I figured it out

Via telnet type in the following "opkg install openvpn"
    Just need to pay my dues and configure it now.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for this.
    I got there in the end.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Many thanks for this information
    works a treat

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast