Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB memory sticks not getting recognised when Flashing

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks

USB memory sticks not getting recognised when Flashing

as the title says my Duo2 will not recognise any USB memory sticks when I try to do a re-flash I have tried 8 different ones
    all fully formatted to Fat 32 with HP Format Tool I even got that Desperate I tried a 16 gig one as none of my 4 or 8 gig ones are getting Recognised

I have tried every one in all 3 USB ports on the receiver and I have shut the Receiver down with Deep Standby before switching of at the back every time
    and even tried pulling the power cord a few times so that it was cold Booting, still nothing so I had to couch flash in the end and did a factory reset but that is still not a fresh install as most of my old settings where still their,

when I first started getting problems I thought it was just my old 4gig Kingston DataTraveler coming to the end of it's life and so did pheonix
    but memory sticks that have always worked in the past are not getting recognised I can hear the clicking as if it is reading the stick and some of my ones with LED's on them even flash but still nothing here is a picture of all the ones that I have tried and nearly every one used to be ok

20140901_144052_1.jpg
    Last edited by nsw9154; 01-09-14 at 16:27.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    a couch flash "should" be the same as a usb install.
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    the couch flash re installed all my settings unless I did it wrong I even reverted back to 24 just in case it was something to do with 26/28 but they still where not getting recognised

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Use HP Tool to format your sticks FAT32 http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...ve-Format-Tool
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I did a full format with HP Format Tool on every single one of the memory sticks and I mean a full format took over 30mins+ on each stick

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsw9154 View Post
    the couch flash re installed all my settings unless I did it wrong I even reverted back to 24 just in case it was something to do with 26/28 but they still where not getting recognised
    Couch flashing (Using the Image manager) flashes the receiver exactly the same as if you were using a USB stick, if your settings were also restored, you either restored a previously backed up image or chose to restore a settings backup during the F.I.W (first install wizard).
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    got you now mate I must have some how got it to load a back up image instead
    but the main reason I want to do a fresh flash is when I am in that menu their is no response for about 10 to 15 seconds
    I press for a back up or a image backup or a restore and I get the spinning vix sign for at least 10 seconds then it spins intermittently after that and no response from the remote
    but why no USB sticks work is beyond me they are fine backing up or loading back ups in or playing movies loaded on the sticks but they just wont recognise for a flash

Title
    Thanks
    i had same problem i removed the Ethernet cable and my wireless usb stick so onlt the aerial cables were in and final a rear port recognized my usb..
    let me know if that works for you

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goldiedarren View Post
    i had same problem i removed the Ethernet cable and my wireless usb stick so onlt the aerial cables were in and final a rear port recognized my usb..
    let me know if that works for you
    just seen your message mate

but I have already done a Couch Flash as pheonix suggested and I managed to do a Full Fresh Install just backing every thing up on my Old Kingston 4gig Memory stick
    and every thing is working fine with no delay or spinning vix sign when I press the Remote Control Buttons

now the only thing I have to do is find a use for all these Redundant Memory sticks

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Have you tried them again since couch flashing the image ?, just to see if they are now being detected by the receiver ?.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    now the only thing I have to do is find a use for all these Redundant Memory sticks
    Format them all on the box or a linux PC so they are EXT4 formatted.
    Never any problem flashing any box with any EXT4 formatted USB here.
    Then again, never have any issues with random Fat 32 USB sticks.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Have you tried them again since couch flashing the image ?, just to see if they are now being detected by the receiver ?.
    I did not bother but I will try one out

Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Format them all on the box or a linux PC so they are EXT4 formatted.
    Never any problem flashing any box with any EXT4 formatted USB here.
    Then again, never have any issues with random Fat 32 USB sticks.
    I did not know that you could do them with EXT4 but surly my PC will not be able to read them to install the file just noticed you said linux PC

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Just tried 4 of them my old 4gig Kingston DataTraveler - 8gig Patriot - 8gig Kingston DTSE9 and a 8gig DataTraveler G4 and none of them worked
    but the strangest thing happened I left the the DataTreveler G4 in the Duo2 while I went to the loo when I came back in to the room I had

Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed on the TV screen and when I checked the stick on the PC it had 3 Extra folders on that I had not put on it before I tried to Flash it

Movie - Timeshift - and Found.000 and in that folder was File000.chk

now that memory stick was only taken out of its cardboard packaging before I started trying the reflash the other day
    as it was purchased from sponsors when I got my new Dish and cable that I have yet to fit, so as any one got any ideas as I am totally stumped as I was not even in the room when it happened and the Receiver was running like a Dream after the Reflash here is the screen shot

Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed.jpg

just noticed that it put the same 3 files on to my old 4gig but I was in the room at time and must have taken it out strait after it loaded
    Last edited by nsw9154; 03-09-14 at 01:21.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Do you have any hdd installed? If not, that's pretty normal.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Just tried 4 of them my old 4gig Kingston DataTraveler - 8gig Patriot - 8gig Kingston DTSE9 and a 8gig DataTraveler G4 and none of them worked
    but the strangest thing happened I left the the DataTreveler G4 in the Duo2 while I went to the loo when I came back in to the room I had

Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed on the TV screen and when I checked the stick on the PC it had 3 Extra folders on that I had not put on it before I tried to Flash it

Movie - Timeshift - and Found.000 and in that folder was File000.chk

now that memory stick was only taken out of its cardboard packaging before I started trying the reflash the other day
    as it was purchased from sponsors when I got my new Dish and cable that I have yet to fit, so as any one got any ideas as I am totally stumped as I was not even in the room when it happened and the Receiver was running like a Dream after the Reflash here is the screen shot

Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed.jpg

just noticed that it put the same 3 files on to my old 4gig but I was in the room at time and must have taken it out strait after it loaded
    IIRC those files (File000.chk and Found.000) are created usually by the Windows PC utility chkdsk when it is run on a FAT32 filesystem. Out of the box a USB stick will usually have been factory formatted with FAT32 and some of these will also have hidden partitions and Windows software for so-called secure file storage or some other utility. FAT32 filesystem does not support hard or sym links so is not good for the likes of picon files which need them. chkdsk will try and resolve these hard links and will try to repair them, rsulting in those .chk files.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast