Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WLAN headache

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Thanks

WLAN headache

Hi,

I am still having problems with my Wireless USB dongle on the VU + DUo. I have put a new thread because I had multiple diff issues so this is fresh

I have currently plugges my wireless usb and it I select it in th Menu > Network. Then I have set the following:

Use Interface - yes
    Use DHCP - no
    IP Address - 192.168.1.18 (I chose this as its within my IP Address range on my netgear router)
    NetMask - 255.255.255.0
    Use a gateway - Yes
    Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (ip to connect to the config page in Netgear)
    Network SSID - MyWifi Name
    Encryption - yes
    Encryption Type - WEP
    Encryption Keytype - ASCII
    ENCRYPTION Key - <I typed my password here>

Prumary DNS - 194.168.4.100 (I am with VM)
    Secondary DNS - 194.168.8.100 (these DNS entries are the ones showing in my router)

Can someone confirm what I am doing wrong as when I activate these settings it says "Your internet is not working".

On my router I got the MAC address of the VU+DUO and inputted this and 192.168.1.18 into the "Address Reservation" section but no luck

I am feeling depressed.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    when i do a network test it shows everything as green apart from DHCP and this is the only test which fails. It shows a "disabled" message as I have DHCP as "NO"?

Title
    Administrator
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,096 Times in 4,733 Posts
    try the first DNS as the address of your router, most routers handle the DNS requests for you.
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Release notes can be found in the About screen by pressing epg/info
    Rules can be found HERE - Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

Title
    Thanks
    it seems like I am not getting any IP Address - can someone tell me if there is a way I can reset my Wirelesss USB dongle completely I am using the TP Link one

Title
    Thanks
    hi
    using the same set up i think on VIX 1.2 my settings for primary are the same as my router 192.168.1.1 secondary is not set 0.0.0.0. and my encription type is WPA2
    check your router's set up page VM as it's own password for netgear it is "password"not (standard if you search for it on internet )

Title
    Thanks
    Hi

I dont understand what you mean Kergrka.

can you explain a little clearly for me?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by digicell View Post
    Hi,

I am still having problems with my Wireless USB dongle on the VU + DUo. I have put a new thread because I had multiple diff issues so this is fresh

I have currently plugges my wireless usb and it I select it in th Menu > Network. Then I have set the following:

Use Interface - yes
    Use DHCP - no
    IP Address - 192.168.1.18 (I chose this as its within my IP Address range on my netgear router)
    NetMask - 255.255.255.0
    Use a gateway - Yes
    Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (ip to connect to the config page in Netgear)
    Network SSID - MyWifi Name
    Encryption - yes
    Encryption Type - WEP
    Encryption Keytype - ASCII
    ENCRYPTION Key - <I typed my password here>

Prumary DNS - 194.168.4.100 (I am with VM)
    Secondary DNS - 194.168.8.100 (these DNS entries are the ones showing in my router)

Can someone confirm what I am doing wrong as when I activate these settings it says "Your internet is not working".

On my router I got the MAC address of the VU+DUO and inputted this and 192.168.1.18 into the "Address Reservation" section but no luck

I am feeling depressed.

Thanks
    Use DHCP!!!!

Your encryption is set to 'Keytype - ASCII' try changing to 'HEX' if switching to DHCP doesn't work.

I have mine set to HEX, didn't work on ASCII

Here's a few screenshots of mine and don't forget to reboot both router and VU+

Code:
    http://www.vuplusduo.741.com/screenshot1.jpg
    Code:
    http://www.vuplusduo.741.com/screenshot2.jpg
    Code:
    http://www.vuplusduo.741.com/screenshot3.jpg
    Last edited by marty; 24-11-10 at 09:05. Reason: Fixing code on the links
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

Title
    Thanks

Smile

If you have put the mac address in the address reservation of the router then you need to set Vu Duo Wireless to be DHCP. this will get a DHCP address from the router but it will always be the address specified in the reservation. (the fixed ip 192.168.1.18 ). It will then get the correct DNS entries and work ok.

P.S its not the MAC address of the LAN in the VU+ Duo you need to add to the reservations its the address of the wireless adaptor thats in the VU+ duo. TO get the MAC address of the usb dongle stick it in your pc load the drivers and open a command prompt and perform an IPconfig -all.
    Last edited by sivhead; 24-11-10 at 09:05. Reason: added more info to make it a bit clearer

Title
    Thanks
    Hi
    I have not got DHCP set , I entered 192.198.1.1 for the router , vu set as 192.198.1. 200. netmask255.255.255.0 and then i entered wireless password.encryption type , on the screen (from MENU)for checking ur network at the bottom it as Primary 192.168.1.1 the secondary it states 0.0.0.0, ..settings these are made up but could be used,sometimes you can get 10.0.0.0 address (router)with VM do a ipconfig to see which its running on CMD promt on PC

this part refers to looking into your routers setting on a PC
    the password part is for the router set up page 192,198.1.1 if you brought a netgear the password would be something like Username "admin" password " 1234" with VM username is "Virgin" password is " password" you need to get into this page if you want to close/open ports etc(portforwarding) sorry if i confused you
    Last edited by kegrka; 24-11-10 at 20:06. Reason: added txt

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry forgot to mention wireless router is BT Voyager 2091....tnx

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkanwar View Post
    Sorry forgot to mention wireless router is BT Voyager 2091....tnx

I think thats your answer there mate not a good router to be using and a very old one at that BT now ship homehubs
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Thanks
    Hi - please help.....
    Im having strange problem that does not show the wireless options in Menu -> Network ie only shows
    newtork : LAN connection and its setiings - no encryption key for wirless etc.
    I have the recommended USB wireless adapter TP-LINK TL-WN321G Ver 4.0
    The wireless adaptor works fine on my PC giving me a MAC address and flashing green light internet connectivity but the green light on the VU+ remains a constant green. I have installed/reinstalled various images but still does not detect the wireless network.
    Cheers...

Title
    Thanks
    Hi
    couple of things ,what image are you using , have you configured your router to work in wieless mode, (SSID/password) on the images ive tried with wireless DE 1.3.2 and VIX 1.2 after setting up your network using LAN , I would insert my wireless dongle rearloweer usb port then power down, then swicth off using rear power switch wait 12 secs then power up,go back into menu /network, select wlan , ensuring that i selected the correct SSID and entered the correct password and also the correct encryption that the router is using, then do a network test to confirm it. hope this helps

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Are you using VIX 1.2 im having the same issue using same TP-LINK TL-WN321G lots of others are having no issues though ? Strange one this

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanp View Post
    Are you using VIX 1.2 im having the same issue using same TP-LINK TL-WN321G lots of others are having no issues though ? Strange one this
    TP-LINK TL-WN321G Ver 4.0 ?

I have Ver 1.0 and Ver 2.0 both work perfect (VIX 1.2) maybe later versions don't have the RT73 chipset and arn't compatible?
    I know this is true of the D-link G122 wifi dongles, I have ver 5.0 and thats does NOT work yet earlier ones do
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to marty For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (30-11-10)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast