Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Windows 9 official unveiling coming September 30th

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Windows 9 official unveiling coming September 30th

According to sources, Microsoft will officially unveil Windows 9 'Threshold' on September 30th.
    The "tech preview" will be aimed at developers and give an early look at the software.

For Windows 9, Microsoft is rumored to have removed the Charms bar feature, added a new "mini" Start Menu and made other key UI changes that will make the operating system more functional for keyboard and mouse users compared to just touchscreen users. Additionally, Microsoft is said to be building in Cortana, the voice-activated personal assistant.

In conjunction with the tech preview, Microsoft has planned an event where they will overview the new features.

Source:
    Verge

Code:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2014/08/21/windows_9_official_unveiling_coming_september_30th

My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Well if it's any thing like that god awful windows 8, I will happily stick with windows 7. I did briefly move over to Ubuntu for a few months but had to put windows back on as linux just did not work with a few pieces of hardware I use daily. If it did, I would have abandoned windows a long time ago.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    i hate windows, but like you say some stuff only works with it!
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Funny that about hardware - I have an ancient HP printer/scanner which I couldn't run on Windows 7 (64 bit) because of lack of drivers, so I left it on my XP machine until 2012. Then, built a new PC and installed Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit). I had no issues running the scanner / printer, nor my Epson Photo printer or HP Laserjet on linux. I'm even running a few Windows applications which I used on a daily basis on XP. Installed the WINE package and they run fine, including Dreamboxedit. Open Office / Libre Office is a pretty good substitute for MS Office and I do get a lot of MS documents. Ubuntu has its quirks, particularly with the handling of USB devices at times, but I have no reason to go back to MS at this stage.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

dirtydonki
    Linux isn't really a standard user option unless they happen to have a college degree in CS. It is slow to boot, falls over, over nothing and is a nightmare to configure and customize. AND if it goes titz up, which is not as uncommon as the fan club would have you believe, you are stuffed without that CS Degree to fall back on.

Windows has always been & always will be the most versatile and universal OS on the planet. A complete novice can use it straight out of the box.

For me, Windows 8 is superb. It's ideal for those who have touch devices but I will concede the GUI is not very useful without and would recommend people on non touch devices stay with 7, which IMHO was the best Windows ever..

What has always tickled me about Enigma boxes is that the vast majority of tools developed for it are for Windows. Had that not been the case I may have stuck with a UNIX based OS, Linux/OSX.

As an early adopter I am quite excited about Windows 9 and can't wait for it to be released to me for eval. From what I have seen already I know I will be upgrading across the board if the launch price should happen match that which was set for the Windows 8 release.

Can't wait to talk with Cortana!
    Last edited by dirtydonki; 22-08-14 at 12:36.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    Funny that about hardware - I have an ancient HP printer/scanner which I couldn't run on Windows 7 (64 bit) because of lack of drivers, so I left it on my XP machine until 2012. Then, built a new PC and installed Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit). I had no issues running the scanner / printer, nor my Epson Photo printer or HP Laserjet on linux. I'm even running a few Windows applications which I used on a daily basis on XP. Installed the WINE package and they run fine, including Dreamboxedit. Open Office / Libre Office is a pretty good substitute for MS Office and I do get a lot of MS documents. Ubuntu has its quirks, particularly with the handling of USB devices at times, but I have no reason to go back to MS at this stage.
    Funny enough one of my main reasons for going back to windows was that ubuntu could not work properly with my epson printer, plus there is no way of working with android devices etc. I needed to reflash my Galaxy S5 after rooting it and could not find any thing for it in Linux. apart from that it was great, every piece of software I needed worked perfectly in Linux barring my trusty copy of Flash FXP but there are a lot of other free alternatives.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydonki View Post
    Linux isn't really a standard user option unless they happen to have a college degree in CS. It is slow to boot, falls over, over nothing and is a nightmare to configure and customize. AND if it goes titz up, which is not as uncommon as the fan club would have you believe, you are stuffed without that CS Degree to fall back on.

Windows has always been & always will be the most versatile and universal OS on the planet. A complete novice can use it straight out of the box.

For me, Windows 8 is superb. It's ideal for those who have touch devices but I will concede the GUI is not very useful without and would recommend people on non touch devices stay with 7, which IMHO was the best Windows ever..

What has always tickled me about Enigma boxes is that the vast majority of tools developed for it are for Windows. Had that not been the case I may have stuck with a UNIX based OS, Linux/OSX.

As an early adopter I am quite excited about Windows 9 and can't wait for it to be released to me for eval. From what I have seen already I know I will be upgrading across the board if the launch price should happen match that which was set for the Windows 8 release.

Can't wait to talk with Cortana!
    Wow - a complete MS fanboi No college degree here in CS. Machine boots in 15 seconds to desktop, has never "fallen over", gets regular updates from Canonical (ubuntu) and is pretty much "plug and play" apart from some minor issues with USB as mentioned. No anti-virus needed, just a good firewall like any networked PC. I do use Windows 7 occasionally and have and Windows Phone, so I'm not anti-MS, but it's great not to have to shell out money for licences to run my machine and do some word processing and photo editing!
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry ill be staying with my mac & yosemite coming soon that will do me nicely
    Last edited by mrxbox360; 22-08-14 at 13:47.

Title
    Thanks
    Had read it was to be somewhere in the 2nd half of next year.

Ten Below
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    Wow - a complete MS fanboi No college degree here in CS. Machine boots in 15 seconds to desktop, has never "fallen over", gets regular updates from Canonical (ubuntu) and is pretty much "plug and play" apart from some minor issues with USB as mentioned. No anti-virus needed, just a good firewall like any networked PC. I do use Windows 7 occasionally and have and Windows Phone, so I'm not anti-MS, but it's great not to have to shell out money for licences to run my machine and do some word processing and photo editing!
    Totally agree fat-tony, i don't use windows at all & if ever the need arises for things like phone flashing pheonix described i just run windows in virtual box if the software will not run in wine. Like yours mine boots in a fraction of the time windows does & is steady as a rock, i use Zorin OS which is based on Ubuntu.
    Zorin OS...... well worth a look for any linux newbie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ten Below For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (23-08-14)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Below View Post
    Totally agree fat-tony, i don't use windows at all & if ever the need arises for things like phone flashing pheonix described i just run windows in virtual box if the software will not run in wine.
    adb runs fine for flashing any android phone on linux.
    Code:
    http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html

14. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    I run a M$ network for a living ... sighs ( gotta earn a crust ). But would never use any MS products at home, Linux Apple and Android only at home, in fact anything other than M$. Ubuntu is pretty good these days and most people that have even a small IT skill can use it without a problem, my wife does and she has trouble with the on off button!!. At work I still use XP even though I maintain windows servers ,win7 and win 8 pc's ( horrible ) XP is still better, yes I know no longer supported but here we are, it works better , for me, than modern versions.