Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Geohot releases ‘Towelroot’ for Galaxy S5 and other Android devices

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Geohot releases ‘Towelroot’ for Galaxy S5 and other Android devices

George Hotz aka Geohot, the famous hacker who had released popular jailbreaking and unlocking tools like blackra1n, blacksn0w is back.

He isn’t jailbreaking iOS devices, so don’t get too excited.AndroidBeat reports that he has managed to gain root access to carrier variants of the Galaxy S5 and also the Note 3, Nexus 5 and possibly all other Android devices with a kernel build date of below June 3 via his ‘towel root’ exploit. The root exploit is scheduled to be released to the public at 10AM PDT on 15/6/14.As AndroidBeat points out, KNOX, Samsung’s enterprise mobile security solution, has made it difficult to root Samsung devices released in the last one year or so.

While rooting them is possible, it will end up triggering the KNOX hardware switch, which effectively voids the warranty of the device. Since this is a hardware level switch, there is no way to reverse this process or fix it later on.
    Worse, carriers in the United States lock down the bootloader on their devices, which makes it near impossible for developers to unlock the device.Developers usually try to find an exploit via which they can gain root access on such Samsung devices, but with time, Android OEMs have patched most of them and finding new ones is an incredibly tough job. The AT&T and Verizon variant of the Galaxy S5 are a perfect example for this case and have a staggering $18,000+ bounty on offer for anyone who manages to root the handset.

Last year, amidst the controversy surrounding the iOS 7 jailbreak, a leaked audio recording had suggested that Geohot had tried to sell his iOS 7 jailbreak for a whopping $350,000. It is interesting to see him back in the limelight, though it seems unlikely he will release a jailbreak for iOS to the public after a not so pleasant experience.Meanwhile, it is still status quo on the iOS 7.1.1 jailbreak. Even though several hackers havesuccessfully jailbroken iOS 7.1.1, there hasn’t been any development that suggests a jailbreak will be released soon.Update:As promised, Geohot has released Towelroot for carrier variants of the Galaxy S5, and other Android devices.

Code:
     http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/06/geohot-root-galaxy-s5-android-devices.html

My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (20-06-14),gerryd13 (20-06-14),Sicilian (20-06-14)

Title
    Thanks
    cant find a list or anything for this?? just says S5 and other android devices?!

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    There is no list as such, it was made for the s5 specifically but due to the kernel exploit geohot found it works on almost all android phones.

The main support thread can be found here.

Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2783157
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (20-06-14)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There is no list of phones as even on supported models it wont work on certain firmwares. On the i9505 for example it doesnt work on nc4 firmware
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    thanks guys

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks

SIMPLES.