Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duo2 Dead - White LED / Blank VFD and no Boot

Title
    Thanks

Duo2 Dead - White LED / Blank VFD and no Boot

I bought the Duo2 last October from world-of-satellite.co.uk running VIX 3.xx with the CFE V2 Bootloader and it's been flawless until now, about an hour ago, the screen went blank and now the box appears to be dead.

When the Duo2 is powered up from the switch at the rear, the white LED lights up, the HDD spins but there's nothing on the VFD screen and the system won't boot.
    It doesn't appear to be possible to load anything from the front USB since the prompt on the VFD screen doesn't show.

Is there a tool similar to the ones used for boxes like the DM500 to reflash the box if it's a software corruption issue? I really hope it's something not too difficult to rectify.
    I did a search to see if anyone else had a fix for this but all I found were some people with the same problem with no solutions.

I'm grateful for any replies

Title
    Thanks
    Have you tried to use a usb with an image on it to see if it will flash a clean image?

It also might be an idea to remove the HDD so you rule that out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zoro25 For This Useful Post:

Catface (02-06-14)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    When using the front usb make sure you don't have another usb stick attached.

Is there anything on the video

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Catface (02-06-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your responses.

Here's what I've tried so far.
    Starting with no USB devices attached.
    Disconnecting the HDD,
    Attempting to load an image from the front USB. (no other USB devices are attached)
    Starting without the twin DVB-S2 and DVB-T tuner cards.

What makes it difficult is the box doesn't get to the stage where the prompt to update from the front USB appears. It used to boot with the VFD displaying CFE V2 and then "double your expectation" would appear followed by a message asking to press the power button for an update. There's no video on the screen and nothing appears on the VFD or LCD at all, possibly indicating that the basic functions of the receiver aren't starting. It behaves as if it's stuck in deep standby mode, the HDD spins up when it's connected but the fan doesn't spin.

The inside of the unit is immaculate with next to no dust. The white LED flickers when the front button is pressed, no response from the remote.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Possible power supply failure?
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to marty For This Useful Post:

Catface (02-06-14)

Title
    Thanks
    It's possible it's the power supply but it's unlikely since when the rocker switch on the rear is switched to the on position the HDD will spin up, the white light on the front will light up and the tuner will get warm after a while so power must be reaching the rest of the unit.

There doesn't appear to be any tools where if the memory containing the bootloader is corrupt it can be read and corrected. I doubt it is as I wasn't flashing an image or making any alterations, the box was playing a recording from the HDD when the picture went off for the last time.

It could turn out to be a hardware fault and the box will have to be sent back. It's disappointing because it's been superb so far.

Title
    Thanks
    I had the same problem. I press the black button on the top of the front USB slot and the box start for me.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickj For This Useful Post:

Catface (10-06-14),v8rick (23-02-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catface View Post
    It's possible it's the power supply but it's unlikely since when the rocker switch on the rear is switched to the on position the HDD will spin up, the white light on the front will light up and the tuner will get warm after a while so power must be reaching the rest of the unit.

There doesn't appear to be any tools where if the memory containing the bootloader is corrupt it can be read and corrected. I doubt it is as I wasn't flashing an image or making any alterations, the box was playing a recording from the HDD when the picture went off for the last time.

It could turn out to be a hardware fault and the box will have to be sent back. It's disappointing because it's been superb so far.
    Thats exactly how mine ended up although it didn't go quietly it was a downward spiral from the off, you will need to send it back to Vu, I got pissed off with s**tems*t messing me about so I contacted Vu+ myself and sent it back, after having it in their possession for 2 weeks they said they couldn't repair it and sent me a new one (thanks Julian).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

Catface (10-06-14)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Only a bootlog (rs232) can shed some light on what's going on.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Catface (10-06-14)

Title
    Thanks
    I had another look it it over the weekend, trying to see if I could get any information from the RS232 connection using PuTTY and HyperTerminal, selecting the correct COM port and 115200 baud. Most of the time there was no response at all apart from a couple of odd occasions where very few garbled characters were displayed. The DM500 worked perfectly with the boot sequence displayed so I've come to the conclusion that it's a hardware fault

It's a shame there aren't at least some basic recovery tools that use the RS232 port for the Duo2. The image support is fantastic but it's shocking that there appears to be nothing available for restoring fundamental features of the system like the bootloader, especially considering it's been out for nearly a year now. I'd expect poor support for clones, but not from genuine boxes that cost £400+. I know in my case it appears to be a hardware fault but I wish there were programs that could be used to rule out software issues sooner.

It looks like sending the receiver back for replacement or repair is the only option now. Just my luck when the World Cup is about to start

Hopefully I'll get it back and up and running soon. Thanks to everyone that responded

Title
    Thanks
    hi to all

the same problem with the famous white light

after installing the latest bootloader Duo2_CFE_V2 and the last image of BH

he does not want to start it stops on the white light only no boot detect.
    the fan does not work
    it does not detect any USB device so that I can flash
    (I tried 4 different types of USB .. with different version of images .. and also different Original Version .. nothing is happening with duo2 .. just the white light present)

Now I'm sure this is a hardware fault

unfortunately it has no support solution with rs232
    shame vu +

according to my research on this subject, this is the case of many people.
    what breaks me is the cost we pay for a failed technology.

vu + do not believe it too just false advertising, I should choose the last competitor reliable and stable ..

the video is not mine (another victim)
    but this is my scenario too.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    I had another look it it over the weekend, trying to see if I could get any information from the RS232 connection using PuTTY and HyperTerminal, selecting the correct COM port and 115200 baud. Most of the time there was no response at all apart from a couple of odd occasions where very few garbled characters were displayed.
    'Garbled characters' probably mean wrong settings.
    Can you check please? Putty settings.jpg

It looks like sending the receiver back for replacement or repair is the only option now.
    Surely the box must still be within warranty?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Now it works with the original image

he started himself; after almost 3 hours waiting

may be the problem is in:

the new bootloader
    or the various new images
    or a default constructor

Title
    Thanks
    I hope it works for you

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I had all the same problems you if it is working now it will randomly lock up and eventually give up the ghost, the garbled characters seems to be when it can't read the flash, I suspected dodgy soldering although it could be capacitors not discharging properly which would explain how it can suddenly reflash and work again after a few hours, I bet any money it only had version 1 boot loader on it when you recieved it, even though they have been shipping with v2 fir nearly a year.
    After having mine replaced because Vu couldn't repair it I havnt had one lock up or crash whatsoever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast