Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: WoS Newbies Jargon buster.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

WoS Newbies Jargon buster.

World or satellite, Newbies Jargon buster.

It's been on my list of things to do for a very long time, so I have decided to kick it off finally, So if there is a term you have seen mentioned on the forum that you dont understand please feel free to comment on this thread and add suggestions or additions and we will add a brief description and update this thread as things go on. I have already included a few and will update as the days and weeks go on.

A
    ABM = AutoBouquetsMaker

B
    Bouquet(s) = 'favourite lists' (each favourite lists is a channel list)

C
    Conditional Access Module or CAM = A conditional access module (CAM) is an electronic device, usually incorporating a slot for a smart card, which equips an Integrated Digital Television or set-top box with the appropriate hardware facility to view conditional access content that has been encrypted using a conditional access system

D
    DBE = Dreambox Edit, DBE is a PC based program used to manipulate and edit Bouquet / channel lists for Enigma and Enigma2 based STB's.

E
    EPG = Electronic Program Guide / TV guide.

Enigma2 = enigma2 is a framebuffer-based zapping application (GUI) for linux. It's targeted to real set-top-boxes, like the DM7025, but would also work on regular PCs. Enigma2 is based on the Python programming language with a backend written in C++. It uses the [LinuxTV DVB API], which is part of a standard linux kernel.

EMM = Entitlement Management Message - Part of the encryption system that determines if the user is authorised to view the content
    ECM = Entitlement Control Message - Sent by the provider and containing an encrypted control word and access criteria to the box, this works in conjunction with the EMM to determine if the user is authorised to view and if so it is passed for decryption. - ECM's can be and are changed as rapidly as every 10 secends and sometimes even faster than that.
    ECM is also often incorrectly determined as Electronic Counter Measure.

F
    Feeds = In this context feeds refers to the Image feeds whereby we house image updates and plugins etc.
    FTP = File Transfer Protocol, FTP is used to transfer files between computers on a network

G
    GUI = In computing, graphical user interface (GUI,[1] sometimes pronounced "gooey" or "gwee")[2] is a type of user interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices through graphical icons and visual indicators

H
    Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV (HbbTV) = HbbTV is both an industry standard (ETSI TS 102 796[1]) and promotional initiative for hybrid digital TV to harmonise the broadcast, IPTV, and broadband delivery of entertainment to the end consumer through connected TVs (smart TVs) and set-top boxes.[2]

I

J
    Joint Test Action Group (JTAG) = The common name for the IEEE 1149.1 Standard Test Access Port and Boundary-Scan Architecture. It was initially devised by electronic engineers for testing printed circuit boards using boundary scan and is still widely used for this application.

Today, JTAG is also widely used for IC debug ports. In the embedded processor market, essentially all modern processors implement JTAG when they have enough pins. Embedded systems development relies on debuggers communicating with chips with JTAG to perform operations like single stepping and breakpointing. Click here for more details Here

K
    KOS = King of satellite = a website which catalogs frequency changes etc for all European communication / TV satellites, by user generated data.

L
    LNB = A low-noise block downconverter (or LNB) is the receiving device mounted on satellite dishes used for satellite TV reception, which collects the radio waves from the dish. see here for more details Click Here

M

Last edited by Maxwell; 26-05-14 at 09:40.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Adwardo (24-04-19),cactikid (25-05-14),cwebb66 (22-07-14),fouldup (25-07-14),gabertawe (11-07-16),gerrykiddy (25-05-14),hotshot2me (12-01-15),John57 (05-01-15),judge (26-05-14),mcquaim (29-05-14),Mr. Mister (22-07-14),Shaggy (09-10-16),Sicilian (26-05-14)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    N
    NFS = Network File System (NFS), please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System for more details.

O
    Open Embedded-Alliance or OE-A for short.
    The OE-A is an alliance between a group of enigma2 image teams and manufacturers who all contribute to keep the OE up-to-date. The OE-A was founded by Andyblac of the OpenViX image team and Babsy of the OpenATV team (previously the ATF team ), but now comprises around 15 image teams and manufacturers.

OpenEmbedded = OpenEmbedded is a software framework used for creating Linux distributions aimed for, but not restricted to, embedded devices. see here for more details. Click Here

Overscan = the facility on some computer screens or televisions to adjust the picture size so that the picture is bigger but the edges of the picture are lost.

P
    Picon = Program Icons or picons for short are user created channel logos that can be displayed in various parts of the Enigma 2 GUI such as in the EPG screen or the Infobar, examples of these can be found Here.

Q

R

S
    Skin = The graphical design elements and layout of the GUI
    Softcam = In this case softcam refers to a software CAM or Conditional Access Module emulator.
    STB = Set Top Box, (your satellite receiver is a STB).
    Swap file = a file on a hard disk used to provide space for programs which have been transferred from the processor's memory. This basically allows you to assign a portion of you'r HDD or a USB device to use in place of physical RAM on the receiver, this can be useful for lower powered receivers such as the Vu+ Duo which has a relatively low amount of RAM.
    Samba = Samba is a free software re-implementation of the SMB/CIFS networking protocol, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software) for more details.

T
    Telnet = a network protocol that allows a user on one computer to log into another computer that is part of the same network.

U

V
    ViX = otherwise known as OpenViX, ViX is the abbreviated name for Image team who produce the ViX Enigma2 GUI, Full name Virtuoso Image Xtreme (previously known as Vu+ Image Xtreme due to their origins with the Vu+ Duo receiver).

W

X

Y

Z

My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Adwardo (24-04-19),cwebb66 (22-07-14),fouldup (25-07-14),John57 (05-01-15),Shaggy (09-10-16),Sicilian (26-05-14),Tony_Daly (23-07-14),Wingding86 (06-12-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Good idea pheonix.

I have often wondered if a softcam (lets say 2.3.0) is manufacturer / image dependant ? or can 1 softcam be used in Duo, Gigablue, Dreambox etc. using Vix, Black Hole, Openpli....etc..etc..

Thanks

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    softcams are independent of images, some images however place the config files in different places so the .ipk has to be setup according to destination the image it is intended for uses, which is where the so called image specific softcam packs you see on other forums come from.

SIMPLES.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

skronk (25-05-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Please can you add brief info for Emm & ECM phoenix? See these mentioned often on the forum.
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lgleave22 View Post
    Please can you add brief info for Emm & ECM phoenix? See these mentioned often on the forum.
    Edited to include EMM & ECM, as these are a very complex subject only the very barest summing up is provided
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (26-05-14),mcquaim (29-05-14),Sicilian (26-05-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    one for J - a description of jtag

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Duo
    Vu+ Solo
    Gigablue HD 800 SE

All with latest vix image - Autobouquets - SgtFlipflop 28.2e Picons - WebradioFS

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s1m0nw View Post
    one for J - a description of jtag

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Done, please see above.

SIMPLES.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

s1m0nw (29-05-14),Sicilian (29-05-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    samba and nfs?,no icloud

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    NFS and Samba added to post 2.
    Last edited by judge; 21-07-14 at 23:58. Reason: aded link to upated post, thanks pheonix.

SIMPLES.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

cactikid (22-07-14),judge (21-07-14)