Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: WoS Newbies Jargon buster.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

WoS Newbies Jargon buster.

World or satellite, Newbies Jargon buster.

It's been on my list of things to do for a very long time, so I have decided to kick it off finally, So if there is a term you have seen mentioned on the forum that you dont understand please feel free to comment on this thread and add suggestions or additions and we will add a brief description and update this thread as things go on. I have already included a few and will update as the days and weeks go on.

A
    ABM = AutoBouquetsMaker

B
    Bouquet(s) = 'favourite lists' (each favourite lists is a channel list)

C
    Conditional Access Module or CAM = A conditional access module (CAM) is an electronic device, usually incorporating a slot for a smart card, which equips an Integrated Digital Television or set-top box with the appropriate hardware facility to view conditional access content that has been encrypted using a conditional access system

D
    DBE = Dreambox Edit, DBE is a PC based program used to manipulate and edit Bouquet / channel lists for Enigma and Enigma2 based STB's.

E
    EPG = Electronic Program Guide / TV guide.

Enigma2 = enigma2 is a framebuffer-based zapping application (GUI) for linux. It's targeted to real set-top-boxes, like the DM7025, but would also work on regular PCs. Enigma2 is based on the Python programming language with a backend written in C++. It uses the [LinuxTV DVB API], which is part of a standard linux kernel.

EMM = Entitlement Management Message - Part of the encryption system that determines if the user is authorised to view the content
    ECM = Entitlement Control Message - Sent by the provider and containing an encrypted control word and access criteria to the box, this works in conjunction with the EMM to determine if the user is authorised to view and if so it is passed for decryption. - ECM's can be and are changed as rapidly as every 10 secends and sometimes even faster than that.
    ECM is also often incorrectly determined as Electronic Counter Measure.

F
    Feeds = In this context feeds refers to the Image feeds whereby we house image updates and plugins etc.
    FTP = File Transfer Protocol, FTP is used to transfer files between computers on a network

G
    GUI = In computing, graphical user interface (GUI,[1] sometimes pronounced "gooey" or "gwee")[2] is a type of user interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices through graphical icons and visual indicators

H
    Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV (HbbTV) = HbbTV is both an industry standard (ETSI TS 102 796[1]) and promotional initiative for hybrid digital TV to harmonise the broadcast, IPTV, and broadband delivery of entertainment to the end consumer through connected TVs (smart TVs) and set-top boxes.[2]

I

J
    Joint Test Action Group (JTAG) = The common name for the IEEE 1149.1 Standard Test Access Port and Boundary-Scan Architecture. It was initially devised by electronic engineers for testing printed circuit boards using boundary scan and is still widely used for this application.

Today, JTAG is also widely used for IC debug ports. In the embedded processor market, essentially all modern processors implement JTAG when they have enough pins. Embedded systems development relies on debuggers communicating with chips with JTAG to perform operations like single stepping and breakpointing. Click here for more details Here

K
    KOS = King of satellite = a website which catalogs frequency changes etc for all European communication / TV satellites, by user generated data.

L
    LNB = A low-noise block downconverter (or LNB) is the receiving device mounted on satellite dishes used for satellite TV reception, which collects the radio waves from the dish. see here for more details Click Here

M

Last edited by Maxwell; 26-05-14 at 09:40.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Adwardo (24-04-19),cactikid (25-05-14),cwebb66 (22-07-14),fouldup (25-07-14),gabertawe (11-07-16),gerrykiddy (25-05-14),hotshot2me (12-01-15),John57 (05-01-15),judge (26-05-14),mcquaim (29-05-14),Mr. Mister (22-07-14),Shaggy (09-10-16),Sicilian (26-05-14)