Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Popcorn Time users getting settlement demand letters from copyright holders

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Popcorn Time users getting settlement demand letters from copyright holders

Popcorn Time, the popular app that catalogs and allows streaming of 1080p pirated content, may be the new target of copyright holders, and especially the troll law firms that back some of them.

The German lawfirm GGR Law has reported that a few clients they are representing received demands for cash settlements from the firm Waldorf Frommer alleging copyright infringement.

All of those that received letters swear they have never used or even installed a torrent client on their computers, but each admitted to using streaming services, namely Popcorn Time. In Germany, viewing pirated streams is not illegal, so the letters demanding 815 euros appear to be misplaced.

This is where the story gets muddier, however. Popcorn Time and its variants (Cuevana Storm in this case) use BitTorrent protocols, uploading content to other users while video is being streamed to the viewer. This is usually unknown to the user, as the interface gives the impression that the site is like YouTube and other server-to-client streaming services.

The letters do not mention streaming, nor Popcorn Time by name.

Source:
    Ernesto

Code:
     http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2014/05/19/popcorn_time_users_getting_settlement_demand_letters_from_copyright_holders
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

pac2000 (21-05-14)