Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: BBC scraps licence fee?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

BBC scraps licence fee?

A secret internal report has recommended the BBC should drop the licence fee in favour of subscriptions.

The majority of the 12-person centenary review committee set up by James Purnell, the former Labour DCMS minister and now BBC head of strategy, believes the legally enforceable licence fee cannot be sustained and should be replaced by subscriptions from about 2020.

However, the corporation has denied that the review proposed replacing the licence fee with a subscription scheme. “The report recommends that the BBC pursue an inflationary licence fee increase with greater commercial revenue,” a spokesman said. “No subscription model is recommended.”

The committee is overseen by consultancy EY and contains known BBC licence ‘opponents’ such as David Elstein, former C5 CEO, and academics including LSE professor Julian LeGrand. Their report, leaked to the Sunday Times, has been submitted to the executive board. Another potential option, said to be less favoured by the committee, would be to turn the corporation into a Mutual with members of the public elected to a governing trust.

The move away from the licence fee is beginning to look inevitable. The government heavily hinted last week it would make non-payments a civil offence (rather than criminal) – a move the BBC reckons could see non-payment jump 5 per cent to 10 per cent. However, the government is unhappy with the incarceration of non-payers of fines imposed for avoiders – inevitably often the poorest and most vulnerable – and even more so with amount of court time taken up; fully 10 per cent of magistrates cases are licence fee non-payment.

The BBC itself may be surprisingly relaxed; next week it reveals plans to make iPlayer the ‘front door’ to services with original programmes included and links to other organisations and services. It has already announced plans to charge for downloads through a BBC store and its own polling has suggested users would pay up to £240 in subscriptions for current services against the £145 licence fee.

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2014/03/09/bbc-scraps-license-fee/

My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Why don`t they just put adverts on and be done with it lets be honest they have been doing product placement on the sly for years anyway,I think the tv licence is already to expensive and im not willing to pay £240 a year for the bbc

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm193 View Post
    Why don`t they just put adverts on and be done with it lets be honest they have been doing product placement on the sly for years anyway,I think the tv licence is already to expensive and im not willing to pay £240 a year for the bbc
    I would agree with that as do a lot of others, time they moved on and stopped relying on the licence fee as was already said they place plenty ads in programmes already. This is now outdated as well as far to many people refuse to pay for one channel, especially as sky and cable companies already charge for these channels again in there packages so it's a double hit for a fee that has already been paid